Problem with Asus P5Q Pro Overclock

I just purchased a pair of Corsair Dominator 1066 4GB (2x2Gb) kit for my mobo, as this memory is on Asus' QVL list. I'm running a gentle overclock for my processor, at 3.6Ghz (9 x 400), with memory speed set to the rated 1066. Mem timings are set to AUTO, and mem voltatage is set to 2.1. This setup was Orthos stable to at least 8 hours using small FFT's (mostly CPU). In Memtest, however, I encountered a single error on test #7 after about 7 hours. I was previously stable at a full-time OC of 3.9Ghz with a memory pair made by a different manufacturer.

Does anyone know any manual BIOS setting that would resolve this issue for this board/BIOS and memory combination? Oh..BTW...I'm using the latest official Asus BIOS for this board. I had heard mention of a modded BIOS for this board, but I've not heard any reports on that.

Thanks!

Do you have CPUZ?

If not you should download it, and use it to check to see what the timings are set to, under the memory tab. It should report them as being 5-5-5-15-T2

You also might want to try bumping up your DIMM voltage by one step.

Then The only thing I could advise you to do is to put your old memory back in!

Memory stability depends on a lot of different things! First off the quality of the memory...the timings...the voltage...air flow (temps)...Northbridge...Motherboard...Power Supply...and so on

Then The only thing I could advise you to do is to put your old memory back in!

Memory stability depends on a lot of different things! First off the quality of the memory...the timings...the voltage...air flow (temps)...Northbridge...Motherboard...Power Supply...and so on

That advice doesn't help. I was upgrading from a 2Gb to a 4Gb kit.

Ok, how's this?

2X1Gb's of memory will overclock much easier than, 2X2Gb's!

If your seeing errors, then loosen your timings.

If you won't play with the voltage, than someone else can help you!

I'd also take a look at your northbridge voltage.

Ok, how's this?

2X1Gb's of memory will overclock much easier than, 2X2Gb's!

If your seeing errors, then loosen your timings.

If you won't play with the voltage, than someone else can help you!

I'd also take a look at your northbridge voltage.

Ok. I'll try to adjust the NB voltage. I'm setting this system up to work as my DAW. Playing with virtual instruments and samplers gets to be memory intensive.

Go on bump up your DIMM voltage a little to 2.2V it'll probably help.

Your memory may not be getting 2.1V anyway, even if it's reported as 2.1V the measuring circuits on the motherboard, via software, aren't spot on. The only way to be really sure how many volts your DIMMS are getting is by measuring it with an accurate DMM.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Go on bump up your DIMM voltage a little to 2.2V it'll probably help.

Your memory may not be getting 2.1V anyway, even if it's reported as 2.1V the measuring circuits on the motherboard, via software, aren't spot on. The only way to be really sure how many volts your DIMMS are getting is by measuring it with an accurate DMM.

Cheers

Paul

agreed 100%

Got it! Upping the NB voltage did the trick. The memory is sitting at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v with NB increased from 1.10 to 1.4v. NB volts of 1.3 continued to give errors, but 1.4v was magic. Thanks!

It passed all tests in Memtest86 through 11 passes over 5 hours.

Edited by nashville1971

FOLLOW UP: upping the NB voltage to 1.4 got rid of the test #7 error in Memtest86+. Unfortunately, I'm getting errors in Orthos, using the blended test; whereas the small FFT test ran for about 7 hours without error. This error repeated, using both 5-5-5-15 timings at 1066Mhz and 4-4-4-12 timings at 800Mhz (1:1). I'll add volts elsewhere and see if it gets more compliant. Will post findings.