noop memory question

I have just gotten interested in overclocking and am waiting for my first good quality motherboard to arrive. The board is an ASUS M3N-HT deluxe/mempipe and my proccessor is an AMD athalon 64 x2 6000+. My question is the board says it supports ddr2 1066 only for AM2+ processors which i dont have, but if i put 1066 in and run it at 800 will this work and does it mean i will have extra headroom for overclocking since the ram will not be pushed all the way up to it's rated speed. Thank you for your patience. Nice i cant seem to edit the spelling mistake out of the title. Dooooogh

Edited by shawnwatkin

I have just gotten interested in overclocking and am waiting for my first good quality motherboard to arrive. The board is an ASUS M3N-HT deluxe/mempipe and my proccessor is an AMD athalon 64 x2 6000+. My question is the board says it supports ddr2 1066 only for AM2+ processors which i dont have, but if i put 1066 in and run it at 800 will this work and does it mean i will have extra headroom for overclocking since the ram will not be pushed all the way up to it's rated speed. Thank you for your patience. Nice i cant seem to edit the spelling mistake out of the title. Dooooogh

If you use 1066 ram, yes it will run at 800.

But as far as overclocking headroom, i think its all up to the IMC in the cpu.

Just set the DRAM speed to 1066, set the voltage and timings at their rated speeds in the BIOS. Even if it's not officially supported it should work by setting everything manually. Technically it would be overclocking I suppose.

Edited by rourkchris