Diablo 3: Monk Class Returns

WhenKittensATK

I don't like the proposed hotbar system.

I like that in Diablo your main skills are controlled by 'right click' (or whatever you have it setup as), I think thats adds a degree of difficulty and differentiates Diablo from the thousands of other RPGs that merely allow skills to be cast with 1-x.

The new hotbar is suppose to add speed. Although I'm not sure if it's going to work like a normal hotbar. Or just a bar that will highlight spells and you still use right click to cast. It would be amazing if it did. No longer have to press random bindings to find one skill.

And you don't rely on potions you run around and get health pickups...

So health orbs get "dropped" to you kind of like experience points do in some other games, you hit a monster and health floats over to you in orb form.

I mean I'm sure its neat but I just can't help but think that that is too different than Diablo II, potions are essentially gone (well, you can use them but only once per map? what the heck?).

So where does this place minor skills like HP gained per hit and stuff like that if you are essentially gaining life when you hit monsters anyways?

I realize they stated that not every monster will drop them but I don't foresee this actually being all that fun.

I think the new health orb system adds a challenge to the game. Hopefully they just put the panic button on a recharge timer instead of one per map. Also boss fights periodically drop orbs :P. As long as melee classes don't automatically pick them up when they are at full health or near full health. It should be fine. Won't know until Blizzard makes harder levels and sees for themselves if its worth changing the system or not.

This is most likely to change I think. They still got a long way in developing the game. So what you see now might not be on the final release.

I'm not too fond of the tri-stage skills either, I like the old way better.

The Tri-Stage skills aren't new. On the Assassin they were called Charges, now they renamed them Stages. I think they were only doing this for the Monk to give him some depth. Instead of having to switch between 3 skills to do that one combo. This way you can mix and match like with the Assassin. Athough Whirlwind-Assassin was better than regular Melee Assassins.

I'm really interested in what Rune items they will have. That's what made the game fun. Providing classes with great stats and spells from other characters.

I think most people can agree there, D2 was pretty much perfect but everyone would just like to see it with better graphics, not me personally, I don't care either way really. With just the changes andrew has mentioned I am thinking about not getting this game now, I mean Titan Quest would be more similar to D2 than D3 will be, might as well just play titan quest.

Change is good. This game is so old that they are just updating it to other modern RPG formats. If your seriously thinking about not getting this game due to old-fashion fanboy rage, then I feel sorry that you will miss out on the GAME OF THE YEAR. :wub:

I dunno, personally, I got kinda tired of spamming my health potions (usually an array of 16 big rejuvies) when I was getting my butt whooped.

I always went for hp and mana steal, but, I usually found myself in some tight spots anyways.

In the case of a paladin with a 5-hit zeal...and iron maiden cast on him...well...spam those number keys :lol:. The chaos sanctuary was always a worry for me when I was using a barbarian or physical paladin. You really learn the individual sounds and icon for those curses pretty quite when you kick your own butt haha.

I'm going to sad when and if there isn't a paladin. To say I was fanatic (pun intended), is an understatement. :)

This brings back memories :D. I had scroll of teleport on a bind and whenever I heard that sound I hit and talk to the NPC to remove it :D. Although I gave up on using any melee classes in Chaos Sanc. I spent most of my time in there with ranged and trying to use the teleport scrolls to save my A2 merc.

If you have your physical CDs, register your key at http://us.battle.net/. That'll allow you do then download and install the game from there. I actually did this on Friday. I was at a friend's house and we watched the Monk gameplay vid. He never played D2, so, remembering I registered my copies on b.net, I went and downloaded it from there and installed them. It took about an hour to download and another 15 minutes to install (combine for D2 and LOD). Really good system they have there, IMO.

Thanks, I had two LoD discs and both cracked in my DVD drive. My friend who I used to play with went through 3 purchases :D. Talk about loving a game by re-buying it because the disc was broken :P. I love digital distribution :D.

Edited by Krazyxazn

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the new health orb system adds a challenge to the game. Hopefully they just put the panic button on a recharge timer instead of one per map. Also boss fights periodically drop orbs :P. As long as melee classes don't automatically pick them up when they are at full health or near full health. It should be fine. Won't know until Blizzard makes harder levels and sees for themselves if its worth changing the system or not.
Blizzard isn't stupid ;).

If you read the Q&A, the guy addresses this very issue of melee characters grabbing orbs before ranged characters, whether on purpose or accidentally. If ANYONE in your group picks up a health orb, EVERYONE gets the health benefit :).

Blizzard isn't stupid ;).

If you read the Q&A, the guy addresses this very issue of melee characters grabbing orbs before ranged characters, whether on purpose or accidentally. If ANYONE in your group picks up a health orb, EVERYONE gets the health benefit :).

I knew they shared it, I'm talking about wasting the orbs by picking them up at full or near full health. Basically wasting the orbs by overhealing. That way you could always run back and pick up those orbs instead of wasting them from overhealing by accidentally walking near or over them.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I knew they shared it, I'm talking about wasting the orbs by picking them up at full or near full health. Basically wasting the orbs by overhealing. That way you could always run back and pick up those orbs instead of wasting them from overhealing by accidentally walking near or over them.

You'll have to ask someone that played the BlizzCon demo, but I'm pretty sure you won't pick it up if you're at full health. The real problem will be when you're only slightly damaged. If you're a barb, you're going to probably have a lot of health...so if you have 190/200 HP, you're not going to want to waste an orb. It would be great if you can actually set a percentage for when you pick up an orb...so let's say you can set it so you only ever pick up an orb when you're at 60% or less health. I'm pretty sure the intention was to have it so you didn't actually have to click something to pick up an orb, that it just happened automatically (like gold now..all you have to do is run over it), so if that's the case, then I agree, there has to be something in place to prevent pick-ups when you're near full health.

This Widescreen Hack for Diablo 2 was linked awhile back. Does anyone know if this will work on Bnet? I get an error saying they can't identify my version :(. The hack does however work perfectly fine in singleplayer.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...pic.php?t=16131

Anyways I'm on US-East Softcore/Non-Ladder. I only have my PvP account that survived, lost my super hammerdin and all those expensive items :(. My remaining account is : "eureka7-fan". I'll be willing to transfer Ladder, if that's what you do. Not sure what the difference is between non-ladder and ladder, but I've always played on non-ladder.

Edited by Krazyxazn

This Widescreen Hack for Diablo 2 was linked awhile back. Does anyone know if this will work on Bnet? I get an error saying they can't identify my version :(. The hack does however work perfectly fine in singleplayer.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...pic.php?t=16131

Anyways I'm on US-East Softcore/Non-Ladder. I only have my PvP account that survived, lost my super hammerdin and all those expensive items :(. My remaining account is : "eureka7-fan". I'll be willing to transfer Ladder, if that's what you do. Not sure what the difference is between non-ladder and ladder, but I've always played on non-ladder.

The game will still play on widescreen, I think it just stretches it.

I've started playing again as of this past Friday (as I said, I installed it to show my friend). I'm on US-East and chose non-ladder as well. When I did so, I forgot the difference between ladder and non-ladder...now I think it's coming back to me...there are some rune words that are "ladder only"...so that's kind of upsetting that I chose the "wrong" one, but awell. I doubt it's a big enough deal to start a new character over.

I'm playing a summancer at the moment (because my friend wanted to see the necro). Back in the day I got a summancer to level 82 and then couldn't progress any further. Now I'm wondering how I even got that far because I can't even beat Normal Duriel (I'm lvl 21 with 4 skels, 3 mages, and I've tried both clay golem and blood golem). I'm thinking I may have to level some more before giving it another go :(. I should just roll a bowazon...that was my favorite class. Or maybe I just don't remember how hard it is to play untwinked :lol:

My account is "ClayMeow". My necro's name is "BlueFlambe" (my friend chose it :lol: ).

I don't know if I am into the orb health pickups. I think they should stick with the potions. I found nothing wrong with that system.

I agree completely, I don't like the idea of an orb system at all, just doesn't feel like diablo if you ask me, orb system has been around for years, it isn't anything new to video games, but potions are a bit more rare, you really only found this element in a few particular games like diablo or neverwinter knights.

Edit: Thanks for the link clay, I didn't know blizzard did anything like that, sure does save time with the cds.

Edit2: I might be wrong but didn't the most of the orginal developers of diablo 2 break off from blizzard and start their own company to develop hellgate london?

Edited by Deathmineral

I agree completely, I don't like the idea of an orb system at all, just doesn't feel like diablo if you ask me, orb system has been around for years, it isn't anything new to video games, but potions are a bit more rare, you really only found this element in a few particular games like diablo or neverwinter knights.

Edit: Thanks for the link clay, I didn't know blizzard did anything like that, sure does save time with the cds.

Edit2: I might be wrong but didn't the most of the orginal developers of diablo 2 break off from blizzard and start their own company to develop hellgate london?

"Blizzard North" broke apart, yes...most went to Flagship Studios (HGL developer) and Arena.Net (Guild Wars developer). There are a few that are still at Blizzard though.

Lets all talk about DII over here:

Diablo II thread

I don't think you can use it on B.net because it is a modified executable and B.net hecks your .exe against their server.

However you can play with it installed, just go into your Diablo II program folder and make a shortcut to "Game.exe" which is the unaltered DII executable.