Phenom II 965 overclock

That CPU I run @ 1.4875v at 3.6Ghz 24/7. It will do 3.795Ghz with 1.5v. This board does make me nervous however I did get it free in a newegg combo deal. I added this

Enzotech Mosfet MST-81 to the VRM with Arctic Alumina Adhesive. Including the cost of the heatsink and the Arctic Alumina Adhesive I have $22.00 invested in the board. It's been running for about a month now rock solid.

ahhh... ok. Might have to do that now that I see the results you are getting. Thanks man :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad somebody could find the thread useful. My Biostar TA790GXB board doesn't seem to support the 955 or 965. I have another 965 I was going to put into it but after seeing the lack of official support for the 955 which has been out for awhile now, I'm leaving the 940 in it and will put the extra 965 into something else later. They don't seem to support the 140TDP CPUs.

Haha yea. But I do have another question real fast.

About the placement. The sink seems to be slightly longer than that area, were there any complications in placing it? And would I use the same amount of adhesive as I would if I were putting paste onto a cpu? Thanks :)

I had no complications. I just removed the thermal pad(which was very easy) from the heatsink. Mixed up the adhesive and put on as little as possible to lightly coat each VRM. Then I carefully placed the heatsink in place. I balanced a paperback book on it to add a little pressure and let it dry for an hour.

Edited by rourkchris

Well I do not know How alike the AM2+ and AM3's overclock But maybe this will get you to 4.00GHZ

anyhow the issue I ran into with the proc at 3.60 was the northbridge Running at too low of a speed and bottlenecking my system. Try moving the North Bridge up to about 2600 MAH and bump it voltage 2 hundredth's to 6 hundredth's (.02 - .06) and see if that helps.

Well I do not know How alike the AM2+ and AM3's overclock But maybe this will get you to 4.00GHZ

anyhow the issue I ran into with the proc at 3.60 was the northbridge Running at too low of a speed and bottlenecking my system. Try moving the North Bridge up to about 2600 MAH and bump it voltage 2 hundredth's to 6 hundredth's (.02 - .06) and see if that helps.

AM2+ and AM3 overclock exactly the same. I really appreciate the advice! Been able to increase the NB and HT link a bit. Still no joy at 4Ghz though. I can still suicide screenshot and run SuperPi but can't pass OCCT stability testing past 20 minutes. Running it at 3.9Ghz with the NB and HT Link @ 2400Mhz. Also noticed during a screenshot that I didn't have my memory timings set correctly. They were running 5-7-7-24. Set them to run correctly @ 5-5-5-15 now.

Current successful overclock settings

3900Mhz

Bus Speed 200Mhz

Multiplier 19.5x

NB 2600Mhz

HT Link 2600Mhz

DRAM speed 1067 5-5-5-15 timings

CPUv 1.4625v-had to bump it up a bit from 1.45v after it failed overnight stability testing @ 7 hours in.

CPU/NBv 1.35v

CPU VDDA 2.6v

DRAMv 2.1v

HTv 1.28v

NBv 1.28v

NB 1.8v 1.8v

SBv 1.2v

ACC Disabled

I'll try increasing the NB and HT Link after this round of stability testing and try to find out where those limits are exactly with this setup. Thanks for the tip boinker.

Running the CPU/NB at 2600Mhz and the HT Link at 2600Mhz now.

Edited to update and add all BIOS settings.

Edited by rourkchris

Have you tried pushing the NB voltage up a bit to get 4 GHz stable? Sometimes helps.

Still, very nice results. I can't get my 940 past 3.85 GHz even with 1.6V and the window open during a blizzard. :lol:

3.85Ghz is further than I could get either of my 940s. Yeah I've tried voltage increases to the NB with no luck. It overclocks to 3.9Ghz so easily but that last bit to 4Ghz just takes so much more voltage. It really comes down to diminishing returns. I'll never notice another 100Mhz of speed but the increased voltage requirements will undoubtedly use more electricity and bleed off more heat. Those are both things I'll notice. I'm really happy with the overclock and love the temperature I'm sitting at. 3.9Ghz is where this is going to stay as a 24/7 overclock.

3.85Ghz is further than I could get either of my 940s. Yeah I've tried voltage increases to the NB with no luck. It overclocks to 3.9Ghz so easily but that last bit to 4Ghz just takes so much more voltage. It really comes down to diminishing returns. I'll never notice another 100Mhz of speed but the increased voltage requirements will undoubtedly use more electricity and bleed off more heat. Those are both things I'll notice. I'm really happy with the overclock and love the temperature I'm sitting at. 3.9Ghz is where this is going to stay as a 24/7 overclock.

did you try the NB freq/NB voltage tweaks to get the 940 further??

Yes I tried everything hoping for 4Ghz. 3.795Ghz was where the 940 topped out for me @ 1.5v on the Biostar TA790GXB. I run it @ 3.6Ghz @1.4875v 24/7. I really don't feel comfortable beyond 3.6Ghz though with that motherboard even with the added heatsink on the VRMs.