Successful Overclock!

Enjin

Thanks for the help, N.E.A., and everyone

I was having some trouble after trying to OC for my first time...

I have to admit..after getting done spending 2 grand on this computer...I was broken hearted..

BUT! After setting the voltage manually in BIOS, I was finally able to squeeze 3Ghz outa my Q9400 with a factory cooler.

Burntest didn't approve of course =/ but I'm keeping a close eye on the temps with CoreTemp, and the games havn't made the temps top out yet.

Annywho, I figure since the comp wont boot up with the AI thing on auto, that I may have screwed something when I tried

changing the overvoltage jumper while the mobo still had power.. I am able to run at 3.0Ghz

with 1.3 core volts...can you tell that I am just rambling at this

point to finish my formation of text?

Peace =D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a nice start, now you just need an aftermarket cooler and then you can go higher (or run at more comfortable temperatures :P)

Judging by your post count, I'll give you a late Welcome to OCC too ;)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Thanks for the help, N.E.A., and everyone

I was having some trouble after trying to OC for my first time...

I have to admit..after getting done spending 2 grand on this computer...I was broken hearted..

BUT! After setting the voltage manually in BIOS, I was finally able to squeeze 3Ghz outa my Q9400 with a factory cooler.

Burntest didn't approve of course =/ but I'm keeping a close eye on the temps with CoreTemp, and the games havn't made the temps top out yet.

Annywho, I figure since the comp wont boot up with the AI thing on auto, that I may have screwed something when I tried

changing the overvoltage jumper while the mobo still had power.. I am able to run at 3.0Ghz

with 1.3 core volts...can you tell that I am just rambling at this

point to finish my formation of text?

Peace =D

you are welcome enjin.... congratulations .. :) when you get the aftermarket cooler i say don`t go above 3.2 just to keep the temps good...

you are welcome enjin.... congratulations .. :) when you get the aftermarket cooler i say don`t go above 3.2 just to keep the temps good...

Weelllllll..........I'm actually going to buy a Q9650. Even overclocked at 3.0Ghz, I can still just barely run Crysis at 1920x1080 on High settings... they aren't kidding when they say "Maximum game"

The Q9400 doesnt't seem to be a popular chip for some reason, from what I have seen on the internet.. If not a better chip, at least the Q9650@3Ghz will be a better place to start. 3.6 should finally push me over the top for crysis.

"I'll be back" mouhahahaha

Weelllllll..........I'm actually going to buy a Q9650. Even overclocked at 3.0Ghz, I can still just barely run Crysis at 1920x1080 on High settings... they aren't kidding when they say "Maximum game"

The Q9400 doesnt't seem to be a popular chip for some reason, from what I have seen on the internet.. If not a better chip, at least the Q9650@3Ghz will be a better place to start. 3.6 should finally push me over the top for crysis.

"I'll be back" mouhahahaha

if you want to get a new cpu...at this point ..i say go with i7 or i5 or i3 or phenom ii ..c2 are dead don`t waste your money on it ...save more money and get a very very powerful amd cpu like x4 955 / 965.. for a good reason ...if you want to consider upgrading these are good but as for the c2 you will get a whole new platform so now is very good time to get that new platform ..just wait till the i5 ,i3 come out and see how they will be priced ..i will get a new system beside my i7 and it will either 1156 (i5) or AM3

if you want to get a new cpu...at this point ..i say go with i7 or i5 or i3 or phenom ii ..c2 are dead don`t waste your money on it ...save more money and get a very very powerful amd cpu like x4 955 / 965.. for a good reason ...if you want to consider upgrading these are good but as for the c2 you will get a whole new platform so now is very good time to get that new platform ..just wait till the i5 ,i3 come out and see how they will be priced ..i will get a new system beside my i7 and it will either 1156 (i5) or AM3

You know....that may be a better idea, but right after the Q9650 the prices jump from like 400 to 700+, and the core extremes, and I cant understand why, jump up to like $1800...overclocking ability?

but right now, I can get the Q9650 for aboutr 450 bucks after tax, but If I go for the i7 or sometyhing even newer, and end up having to change my mobo too, I ill likely be dishing out another $1500 wouldn't I? I'm kinda thinking about getting this computer as fast as it can go right now, at a minimum price..besides my cpu, My vidcard is pretty much unmatched right now..The X-Box 360 comes with a dual core 3.2 processor, so I figure If I get the 3.0 and Overclock it to 3.4-3.6 I should be able to play almost any game for the next little while.

anywho, thanks for the advice, Ill do some research about the new chips and boards when i get home...havn't even heard of the i3 or i5 yet.

You know....that may be a better idea, but right after the Q9650 the prices jump from like 400 to 700+, and the core extremes, and I cant understand why, jump up to like $1800...overclocking ability?

but right now, I can get the Q9650 for aboutr 450 bucks after tax, but If I go for the i7 or sometyhing even newer, and end up having to change my mobo too, I ill likely be dishing out another $1500 wouldn't I? I'm kinda thinking about getting this computer as fast as it can go right now, at a minimum price..besides my cpu, My vidcard is pretty much unmatched right now..The X-Box 360 comes with a dual core 3.2 processor, so I figure If I get the 3.0 and Overclock it to 3.4-3.6 I should be able to play almost any game for the next little while.

anywho, thanks for the advice, Ill do some research about the new chips and boards when i get home...havn't even heard of the i3 or i5 yet.

I agree with N.E.A. in the part about not gettin the Q9650 it's a big waste of money when a Q9450 or Q9550 can get you to the same place (ram permitting). I honestly look through ebay for a nice Q9450 or if you can't find one, a Q9550. Just don't, whatever you do, get the Q9650.

I'd recommend the Phenom II's but it'd be cheaper to just get a Q9450/Q9550 off of ebay, though there is another OCC member selling his 940 (phenom II) quad for $100 dollars so you probably could snag a decent board for $100 and sell your stuff off and have an even better computer. I'd even go as far as to sell you my Q9450 so I could get the 940 lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I agree with N.E.A. in the part about not gettin the Q9650 it's a big waste of money when a Q9450 or Q9550 can get you to the same place (ram permitting). I honestly look through ebay for a nice Q9450 or if you can't find one, a Q9550. Just don't, whatever you do, get the Q9650.

I'd recommend the Phenom II's but it'd be cheaper to just get a Q9450/Q9550 off of ebay, though there is another OCC member selling his 940 (phenom II) quad for $100 dollars so you probably could snag a decent board for $100 and sell your stuff off and have an even better computer. I'd even go as far as to sell you my Q9450 so I could get the 940 lol

Yes...I see how that works...lol

buying the 9550 might have been a better choice to start off with, but Im not gonna spend a penny to upgrade by 170Mhz at this point...

also, I have 800Mhz ram..so If I want to buy a cheap chip and overclock the crap out of it, thats another couple of hundred bucks for new ram, and then an aftermarket cooler on top of that.

The only question is whether to buy the 9650 now, or wait for something better. But Unless there has been some major breakthrough that will hasten the sluggish crawl of Cpu advancement, then Im gonna go ahead and put the icing on the cake.

Don't forget the 4870x2 at the end of your list right after the 295 :P

ehehe

Don't base your upgrade path on a single game. Check out reviews of the latest processors and you'll see that Crysis gives just about every system a hard time. I wouldn't call the development of CPUs at a "sluggish crawl" at all. Quite the opposite in fact. You chose a weak chip to begin with. There were many higher end CPUs available when you bought that Q9400. Really for the 775 platform the only sane choice is the Q9550. Easily overclockable with an EO stepping. Why sink a large amount into a Q9650 when the platform is nearly done?

Edited by rourkchris

Don't base your upgrade path on a single game. Check out reviews of the latest processors and you'll see that Crysis gives just about every system a hard time.

I know that man..."MAXIMUM GAME" it's not like they are trying to pull a fast one on us...LOL

You chose a weak chip to begin with. There were many higher end CPUs available when you bought that Q9400. Really for the 775 platform the only sane choice is the Q9550. Easily overclockable with an EO stepping. Why sink a large amount into a Q9650 when the platform is nearly done?

again, like I said, the 9550 would have been a better choice to start off with, but the platform IS done..I already have the Q9400. It's a used chip...too late man

If Im gonna upgrade there is no sense wasting my time trying to sell off a used Q9400, paying more for cooler, changing my ram, THEN paying for a chip that is only slightly better than what I have right now.

With the Q9650, I could probably get away with 3.4Ghz using the factory cooler...

my chip fails the burntest at 3.0ghz btw..so if I wanna keep it here long term ill have to get a better cooler..

anywho, Im sure you can see by now that it just doesn't make sense for me to go out and buy a Q9450 or even a Q9550 at this point?

The i7 will be the Best and the Fastest as always. a phenom II will be a good step Up for you and like you said. It will be a bang for your buck. and With a decent cooler it runs up to 3.6 with Minimal headach. But if you want the Best of the Best go with the I7