Moon shots i took today

Here's my attempt at taking pictures of the moon. Thought id share with OCC .

Using my friends Canon S5is

3773260713_3dfe27f743.jpg

3773259591_8a388544a4.jpg

3773258819_40dd9c97e6.jpg

Man I love this camera, cant wait to buy a dslr though.

All you need now are filters to tone down the brightness, and help sharpen the image. I could be wrong on that. Still learning myself. I use 20 different filters for imaging with my Dobs and other telescopes. Ranging from 80mm to 305mm.

i have a cpl, uv and fld filter but the problem is that i bought them for my a590is so its too small for the S5is

I've learned to buy one for the biggest lens I have then just buy step up rings to adapt them to all my other lenses.

Great shots though.

What mode were you shooting in?

oh i bought 58mm for my a590is. if i dont use the 2.0x telephoto lense i bought, i use the 52-58mm step up to mount it on the lense adapter as the lense adapter is 52mm and the lense is 58mm. When i bought them i never thought i would be using a S5is lol

I shot them in manual for the big ones i shot with ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/40 shutter , with full optical and digital zoom. for the shot with the clouds visible i used longer shutter time of 0.5. the rest i used shutter 1/50 and f/5.6

oh i bought 58mm for my a590is. if i dont use the 2.0x telephoto lense i bought, i use the 52-58mm step up to mount it on the lense adapter as the lense adapter is 52mm and the lense is 58mm. When i bought them i never thought i would be using a S5is lol

I shot them in manual for the big ones i shot with ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/40 shutter , with full optical and digital zoom. for the shot with the clouds visible i used longer shutter time of 0.5. the rest i used shutter 1/50 and f/5.6

So i am assuming the telephoto lens is not threaded...

Yeah i did the same thing with a purchase of a bunch of 49mm filters.

Thanks for the info on the technical specs. i like to study how the image was made and apply it to my photography.

Thanks for the comments fellas. Yea the digital zoom does make them grainy but since it was just one subject it dosent look too bad!

The telephoto lense is a 52mm lense with 58mm threads for filters, the adapter to connect the lense to the a590is is threaded for 52mm. i use a 52-58mm stepup ring for when i dont feel like using the telephoto lense. My friends S5is can use seperate lenses and filters, but needs a different, longer adapter, hence why i cant use the filters on it

Mike what camera gear do you have?

Edit: I see you use a D40 from some older posts, how do you like it? I was thinking of getting a D40 as my first dslr and later on getting a 50mm f/1.8D

Edited by Bigevil954

Thanks for the comments fellas. Yea the digital zoom does make them grainy but since it was just one subject it dosent look too bad!

The telephoto lense is a 52mm lense with 58mm threads for filters, the adapter to connect the lense to the a590is is threaded for 52mm. i use a 52-58mm stepup ring for when i dont feel like using the telephoto lense. My friends S5is can use seperate lenses and filters, but needs a different, longer adapter, hence why i cant use the filters on it

Mike what camera gear do you have?

Edit: I see you use a D40 from some older posts, how do you like it? I was thinking of getting a D40 as my first dslr and later on getting a 50mm f/1.8D

I actually have quite a few cameras.

P&S

fuji a400

fuji e900 (this was my baby till i got the DSLR)

Others:

n90s - film slr (first slr)

d40

Lenses i have a 55-200and a 18-55. both are kit lenses so variable f stop

I also have a tokina 18-70 f/2.8 that is awesome. (came with the n90s)

I really like my d40.

There are a few drawbacks of it though.

Lack of focus motor.

On the n90s the tokina will auto focus, on the d40 its a manual focus lens.

Lack of bracketing.

30sec limitation on exposure time.

Other than that it is awesome and a great starter for DSLR.

(its like my right hand now!)