Noctua nh-u12p lapped??

Does sanding off the nickel plate base to copper make sense to get better temp on that cooler or it will have little to no difference because this cooler is pretty flat base out of the box?

Just try it out and see. There should be a temp decrease form lapping the cooler.

Is your cpu lapped? If not, take it out and lap it as well.

Does sanding off the nickel plate base to copper make sense to get better temp on that cooler or it will have little to no difference because this cooler is pretty flat base out of the box?

I did not lapped anything but i did the washer mod on my cooler ans saw -1c drop.

Did you lapped your CPU? and what was your gain?

You have to give people more than two hours to reply, this isn't a chat based system. <_<

I've got three processors lapped here, just got done with my main rig one a couple days ago actually. I do not have any of my heatsinks lapped, however I tend to see at least 5C drop in my temps when the CPU is lapped, though it depends on the processor I suppose. My old 3.2GHz Pentium 4 seemed to get the biggest boost, but as I said, they all saw temperature drops.

I thought the noctua's are already very flat.

Lapping isn't about removing the nickel plating. It has just about the same influence as TIM. You want the best contact between the processor and the heatsink. If the noctua came flat...check your processor. Lapping the processor (if it's convex or concave) will get you further than the heatsink.

I lapped my NH-U12P and it shaved off a few degrees like 63 load down to 59, on a Q6600... I found that 65nm processors have more concave IHSs than 45nm, so lapping the CPU was more effective than lapping the heatsink...

I lap all my heatsinks though, it's a very cheap way to gain cooling performance, either for overclocked PCs, or silent ones

I lapped my NH-U12P and it shaved off a few degrees like 63 load down to 59, on a Q6600... I found that 65nm processors have more concave IHSs than 45nm, so lapping the CPU was more effective than lapping the heatsink...

I lap all my heatsinks though, it's a very cheap way to gain cooling performance, either for overclocked PCs, or silent ones

I may try to lap my noctua and post the result.

Did anybody try lapping a i7 920? are they flat or concave? how much did you gain in temp?

It the marks on the bottom of my waterblocks and heatsinks tell me anything they are concave. I have not lapped any of my i7's yet but may. I have lapped an e6700, q6600 and more than a few heatsinks and I usually end up with a decrease in temperatures. Sometimes it is worth the work sometimes not. When I do lap them it is not to get a mirror finish but to get them flat.

It the marks on the bottom of my waterblocks and heatsinks tell me anything they are concave. I have not lapped any of my i7's yet but may. I have lapped an e6700, q6600 and more than a few heatsinks and I usually end up with a decrease in temperatures. Sometimes it is worth the work sometimes not. When I do lap them it is not to get a mirror finish but to get them flat.

I reinstall my heat sink 4-5 time and i think my i7 is high in center,i may got a better gain by lapping my CPU.

What grit sand paper do you start and finish?

I have read that anything over 1200 grit is not wort it....is that true?

Edited by Rockrtx

This is my firts lap and wanted to try it so It took me 1h30 to lap my heatsink to 1500 grit and flat,but the base was pretty flat and saw no gain on my heatsink...maybe .5 degre to 1 degre.I tough i would share my experience anyway so if its flat don't waste your time LOL!

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2021/img1817a.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9441/img1818q.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3655/img1819j.jpg

Edited by Rockrtx