Builds System looking to make

Adamsnake

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanted to go with AMD, take a look at the Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition. The processor seems to be great, and many (seems to be about 95%+ are reporting unlocking their X2 via the bios to an X4). You can keep everything else the same but the motherboard from the Intel setup you have picked out. I'd suggest a nice 780/790 mobo like the GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, ASRock A790GMH/128M, ASUS M4A78-EM or wait for the new AMD 785 motherboard's to be released next month (sorry, not sure where to look for components in the EU otherwise I would have provided links to vendors with the motherboard in stock).

Overall the Phenom II X2 is a very good performer and is something you might want to consider.

Edited by pkilway

The AMD system does seems good, but there is so many, its stuff like the X3 and X4 and im like what the heck lol.

It's easy. the number after the X identifies how many cores are on the chip.

X2 - Dual Core cpu

X3 - Triple Core cpu

X4 - Quad Core cpu

This is predominately with the Phenom II line. Intel uses the "Q" to identify quad cores in their line-up (ex. Q8200), and then all E class processors are dual core. Intel doesn't have any Tri-core cpu's.

Gigabyte currently makes some of the best/most popular motherboards for either the Intel or AMD platform. Asrock started like ECS, making very inexpensive/cheap motherboards, but they've done much better lately. Again, I listed just a few options, but the idea was to look for as full featured budget 780/790 motherboard as you could.

And, yes the Phenom II X2 550 would be the best band for the buck for you.

Edited by pkilway

I'd suggest one of the following board from Ebuyers (in no particular order, just find the one with what you think the best features for you is):

ASUS M3A78-EM 780G Socket AM2+ MATX - confirmed to support the Phenom II X2

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 770 Socket AM2+ - confirmed to support the Phenom II X2

I think the ACC feature to enable the two disabled cores is in the ASUS motherboard, but not in the Gigabyte motherboard.

Edited by pkilway

Case would be fine, RAM, Video Card, PSU would still fit and work with the AMD system.

The Phernom II X2 550 was launched to compete versus the E7400, but in actuality it performs about the same as the E7400, but the kicker is the AMD cpu's are generally cheaper than the E7400.

Edited by pkilway

Like I said before, I think AMD would be a good option. I'd suggest the X2 550 option and just a mid-range motherboard. No reason to go crazy on a high-end one. It won't do your build any good. For motherboards, I like Gigabyte mostly. In fact, I just built my dad an AM2+ build with a 5400+ Brisbane and a Gigabyte board (MA74GM-S2 v2.0) and I like it so much I'll be doing the exact same thing for my wife's mother's build that I just committed to.

You may want a bit higher-end board than the one I picked though. These builds are for people that just surf and use Office and stuff like that. I picked the board because it's cheap, has good features, and has onboard VGA and DVI.