1st complete self-build...

Crawlerz246

the catch is eax support (basically it brings sound to life)...

make sure to get a sound card with eax support or there will probably be no difference from onboard sound :)

just wanted to point it out, used to feel basically the same way until meeting someone who knew otherwise...

but no, there is no reason why onboard sound shouldn't work on any and all modern games.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem...

and once again, welcome.

hope you will stick around, there is plenty to learn around here...

plus it's pretty easy to mesh with people here since we share a common interest.

have you figured out the build?

what are the projected specs?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

projected being the main oint of this exercise: nearly all 9kRacing recommended.

case: antec 902 with "combo" (I hate the terms "combo", "sale", etc) 850W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129058 get cooooooool (is the new layout gonna be a problem for the huge fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233029 ?)

mobo: foxconn http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186169 with integrated EAX sound plenty of PCI "holes" lol and a good 12GB RAM limit

i7 *drools, swallows, drools again* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115202 *after I buy it I'm gonna sit looking at it, wondering where the F did that money go?*

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231225 6GB gskill

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136319 *mhmmm caviar!*

video monster: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102826 run GTAIV full detail at 100 distance, w/o crossfiring - take that!

OS: no yet. probably vista ultimate? yes, I now vista is e-ville. I had it before for a long time. XP is tons better stability BUT we do have to move into the 21st century, no? we'll see. why the hell is vista so damn expensive?! the damn quality should be microsoft's first sign at a price-drop.

*DON'T VOTE FOR GATES!*

specs look really good in the above post...

and all kidding aside there is nothing wrong with vista, it's a very good operating system (although gamers and enthusiasts may be the only ones who appreciate it), it just has a bad rep.

service pack two is now out as well...

so be sure and get that.

wouldn't worry about that cooler not fitting in that case, it should be just fine...

that is an antec 900 (revision) right? not 902?

let us know how it goes :)

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

specs look really good in the above post...

and all kidding aside there is nothing wrong with vista, it's a very good operating system (although gamers and enthusiasts may be the only ones who appreciate it), it just has a bad rep.

that is an antec 900 (revision) right? not 902?

it's the 902 - what's wrong with it? fan bumps up against the cpu cooler?

yes, vista is e-ville! some/most of mygames stopped working when I went from XP to Vista 2.6 years ago. the simpsons hit & run, tony hawk's american wasteland, scarface: the world is yours, MS's own visual basic, MS's own picture it!, the list goes on...

I'll definetely let you know as soon as I buy it, then build, then launch...!

why does it say "foxconn channel is shutting down...which means they're gonna stop producing these high end motherboards for good. What a shame that such a great brand has to downgrade due to the times" - what does that mean? that they'll stop producing drivers? that I shouldn't buy it? WHAT?

I have a vista disc from DELL. tell me please, can I install that vista onto a new pc? it's very hard for me to justify 270$ for vista. and while I CAN find a downloadable version, I just don't trust them.

and on a related note, can I use the "old" DELL C:\ with vista already on it, in the new PC?

why does it say "foxconn channel is shutting down...which means they're gonna stop producing these high end motherboards for good. What a shame that such a great brand has to downgrade due to the times" - what does that mean? that they'll stop producing drivers? that I shouldn't buy it? WHAT?

Got a link? I've heard nothing about Foxconn going out of business, in fact I think they're doing pretty good lately.

Your DELL vista CD may or may not work. I'm betting on may not. However you can always pick up THIS instead of paying $300 for a retail copy.

Hey crawlerz, I just did my i7 build and its pretty dang nice. I am runnning Vista ultimate 64 bit that I downloaded and it runs beautifully. I also tried the onboard sound vs. the x-fi card I got, HUGE difference! Great for movies but legendary for games. I was playing COD: W@W and omg... had to change pants it was that good. lol. I love my mobo, (all my parts are in my sig), its running strong and has 6 ram slots. I know 12 gigs is a lil much but I have an electronic ego. Look over what I have, except the psu, and maybe it'll help ya some. Nvidia ftw! :P

I have a vista disc from DELL. tell me please, can I install that vista onto a new pc? it's very hard for me to justify 270$ for vista. and while I CAN find a downloadable version, I just don't trust them.

and on a related note, can I use the "old" DELL C:\ with vista already on it, in the new PC?

why not just use the windows 7 release candidate and not violate any end user license agreement(s) or be breaking the law...

it's a much better way to go.

it's not a good idea to stick a mucked up hard drive with drivers for other stuff and/or etc. on a new system...

a fresh install of an operating system on a clean hard drive is the safe route.

if wanting to do this simply to save money, it's not a good idea...

there are other options such as the free windows 7 release candidate (which has been available for downloaded here) or a new copy of oem vista such as this one.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

thank you guys, as I maybe already typed, I just downloaded a windows 7 RC from MS. and burned it onto a DVD. no probs there. will look into buying win7 when it comes out. VISTA'S E-VILLE! quote: "it took MS approximately $5 billion to develop Vista" - now that's the second biggest waste after the "overseas contingency plan" operation "FREEDOM"!!!

about the PSU - I'd like a 850W non-modular, 80mm fan (as opposed to 120-140mm) because it blows, excuse me, out the back, as opposed to the top - probably go with the P&C although nothing's final yet. I'll go back 'n fortha few times before Saturday-Sunday's buy

about the graphics - probs to the guy who gave me the coupon, but, man, that nVidia's sounding nice right about now - but 400$!?!?!? what in the world for?

Edited by Crawlerz246