Hard Freeze while gaming

Hi.

I have a big problem with my pc. I have the PC for 1 month. Everything was working excellent till now, when sudenly the problem started. I didn't install anything,change anything prior to the problem.

So here is the problem -when i try to play any game after max 5 minutes there is a hard freeze. The picture stay the last frame and the sound is repeating. My mouse is not functioning, also the keyboard,i can not press ctrl+alt+delete or anything else. The only thing i can do is manually shut down, or disconnect the power cord.

It also happens when i start AMD Overdrive and after 5-10 seconds FREEZE. When i am on net there is no freeze, so it looks like it only happens during heavy-duty activities.

I think the problem is ether the motherboard or processor, because i put new graphic card and the problem is still here. I checked the RAM and it is ok, put new RAM the problem is here. I put new hard disk i still have problem. I changed the PSU still having the same issues.

So my conclusion is that the motherboard or the processor is bad.

Can you help me somehow, give me advice or if you had similar experience, to tell me whats the problem. Thanks

And i don't think that the problem is because of the temperatures. I have Cooler Master 212, and the processor temps are 21-24C idle and 35C at load. The temps of the VGA are 50C at idle and 65 at load. The Motherboard is around 37-40 C .

BTW i have the latest bios, drivers and everything. It is not because of Vista, because it happens in XP too.

My system is:

Processor: Phenom II 720 BE

Motherboard: gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H

VGA: Galaxy GeForce 8800GT

2x2gb Apacer RAM DDRII 800

Vista 64 bit

PSU: Cooler Master silent pro 700

Welcome!

Have you tried running memtest86+ to test your memory, or Prime95 on blend to test your CPU (and a bit of memory, too)?

Your temperatures sound fine. :)

I tried memtest86+ over night and there weren't errors. When i try Prime95 the PC Freeze after 5-10 minutes the same like i discribed.

man thats a tough one! I hate to say it but it does kinda sound like the cpu, but it still can be anything. Where are you clocked at? did you try to down clock the cpu or adding any voltages to see if it gets stable. I am shooting in the dark here but maybe.....

Are you overclocking? It sounds like you have a voltage or memory setting wrong to me.

I was overclocking. It was 3,4 GHZ at 1,425 v. But now i have the default settings in Bios and i still get freezes.

That seems like a lot of volts just to hit 3.4. We have to rule out the motherboard so you can RMA. Maybe try up-ing the volts to try and bring stability but leave the cpu at speed stock. Better yet lower the cpu speed and then add volts. If you can get the cpu stable then the cpu must be whats wrong. At 1.425 my 720 will d0 3.8 but thats running all 4 cores. at stock volts i got easily to 3.6. If there was only a cpu you could borrow to check out to see that would be a great help.

my quad did that in the process of overclocking it on a board that wasn't great at overclocking quads. The board wasn't supplying enough power to the CPU. I got a new mobo and the problem stopped. I don't know if this is your problem, but mine wouldn't overclock even 1MHz without getting this problem when doing something that solely used the CPU.

That seems like a lot of volts just to hit 3.4. We have to rule out the motherboard so you can RMA. Maybe try up-ing the volts to try and bring stability but leave the cpu at speed stock. Better yet lower the cpu speed and then add volts. If you can get the cpu stable then the cpu must be whats wrong. At 1.425 my 720 will d0 3.8 but thats running all 4 cores. at stock volts i got easily to 3.6. If there was only a cpu you could borrow to check out to see that would be a great help.

I already tried uping the volts with the cpu at stock speed. No help. Also i lowered the speed to 2.0 GHZ and increased volts and still the same reaction from the pc. Thanks anyway.

my quad did that in the process of overclocking it on a board that wasn't great at overclocking quads. The board wasn't supplying enough power to the CPU. I got a new mobo and the problem stopped. I don't know if this is your problem, but mine wouldn't overclock even 1MHz without getting this problem when doing something that solely used the CPU.

That crossed my mind- motherboard not functioning properly. I don't think that the CPU can behave like that. But i don't how it worked for a month overclocked and no single problem, and now disaster.

Okay. I was hoping maybe it would get stable. It does seem to be more likely the motherboard as there is more things that could go wrong there. But still, cant say 100%. Can you rma the board? It sure would suck if you did and it wasnt that. But you got to make a move.