I'm new to this.

GabrielT

Ok I just set up FAH and have a GPU thingy goin and a CPU thingy goin. My question is, is it normal for the work packet for the GPU to be 20,000 units? The cpu is 1500 but is taking longer.

This has probly been covered a million times but I couldn't find it.

Ok I just set up FAH and have a GPU thingy goin and a CPU thingy goin. My question is, is it normal for the work packet for the GPU to be 20,000 units? The cpu is 1500 but is taking longer.

This has probly been covered a million times but I couldn't find it.

Yeah that's normal. Currently running two GPU work packets of 15000 at 353 points each but the higher point ones are more.

A slight exaggeration but look at CPU folding in terms of days and GPU folding in terms of hours. :lol:

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

A slight exaggeration but look at CPU folding in terms of days and GPU folding in terms of hours. :lol:

Cheers

Paul

Actually that's about right for me, i turned down the cpu usage because I was seeing temps of 69c on my X2 5000+ which is alittle hot for my liking.

Thanks

In terms of performance, you're going to probably just want to stick to the console GPU2 client (console > systray). You don't have enough CPU power to run both SMP and GPU2 (in Vista, even more so in XP), but you could probably get away with one of the general CPU clients. In XP, this would load your CPU to 100%, in Vista, probably 55% - 60%. In terms of points, your graphics card is superior in production to the SMP client...

I was only at 1800 PPD with my opteron, and to run the VMware SMP, it was cutting into the processing requirements for GPU2 (took a pretty big hit on the graphics card, which routinely produces 4500 - 5000 PPD with me gaming every once and a while). 69C is a little too warm for my liking, stick to the GPU2 client. If it gets a little warm, rivatuner or evga precision can crank up the fan speed. :)

Crap, I typed in the wrong team number... all my points went to team Lasergod lol but whatever I will wait an extra 12 hours for my dna dealy.

That's OK with the typo the points are eventually ending up in the right place. Cool name for a team though. :foldon:

+1 for Nate's comments. Speaking as a newbie myself, only been at this a little over a month, the GPU client is your best bang for the buck with your system. I have an i7-920 overclocked but my GTX 275 GPU kicks the CPU's butt all over the place (6500-8000+ ppd vs 2800) if I'm running the Windows SMP client alongside the GPU client.