How to make the fan speed higher?

Andyj

Basically i recently bought and fitted an additional fan, 120mm.

I was a bit disapointing to see that it was going so slow compared to my other 4 fans, it uses a 4 pin plug so i can't hook it up to my fan controller.

if anyone knows what to do please reply.

Edited by Andyj

Andy,

Since you are powering your fan directly off a molex 4-pin connector (12v) there isn't anything you can do to make the fan rpm's go higher than the fan motor is designed to go.

You can check to make sure that the fan is indeed getting a full 12v - but if it is and the fan isn't faulty to begin with you're pretty much stuck.

You'll need to buy a new fan. Pay special attention to the maximum rpm's noted in the fan specifications as well as cfm.

Of course, higher fan rpms = higher fan speed.

Buy a new Fan with higher RPM,or try to add more volts from an external psu which would basically "overclock" :lol: and destroy the motor in longterm use.

Basically i recently bought and fitted an additional fan, 120mm.

I was a bit disapointing to see that it was going so slow compared to my other 4 fans, it uses a 4 pin plug so i can't hook it up to my fan controller.

if anyone knows what to do please reply.

When you move to the bigger fan sizes, usually the speed is slower as the bigger the fan, the more air it moves at slower speeds.

If you do opt for a higher RPM fan, noise will become an issue as 120mm fans can, at high cfm/rpm, sound like a small engine!

You might be able to find wire adapters at places like xoxide.com.

Thing is, even those 4pin to 3pin adapters might limit the current and then make using them to connect to yoour fan controller useless.

Can't hurt to take a look, good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, i believe it is a 2600rpm fan.

much less than half of my other fans, i guess i should keep looking for a fan with over 5000 rpm :lol:

You need to realize that there's a lot more to a fan than RPMs. A fan at 5000RPM does not necessarily blow twice as much air as a fan at 2500RPM. There's a lot more to the equation and if you want a fan to blow more air then buy a fan that's rated to blow more air.

Some fans are sold specifically to be quiet (and will not blow as much air because of it). Others are meant to blow as much air as possible at all costs (high current draw, high noise). Sounds like you just didn't buy the right fan.

Since your fan is already getting 12v directly from the PSU, that's pretty much the highest it can go. All this talk of external power supplies and modding for higher voltage is nonsense. You're going to spend two or three times as much on that as you would if you just went out and bought the right fan for the job.

Since your fan is already getting 12v directly from the PSU, that's pretty much the highest it can go. All this talk of external power supplies and modding for higher voltage is nonsense. You're going to spend two or three times as much on that as you would if you just went out and bought the right fan for the job.

That is too practical Verran ;) ,

You are correct and it's probably the best solution but I get anal retentive sometimes and like to play around with the various adapters and such. Though these are very cheap(a few dollars at best), you hit the nail on the head and it's not really worth the bother to mod something as cheap as a fan.

That is too practical Verran ;) ,

You are correct and it's probably the best solution but I get anal retentive sometimes and like to play around with the various adapters and such. Though these are very cheap(a few dollars at best), you hit the nail on the head and it's not really worth the bother to mod something as cheap as a fan.

Don't get me wrong, I've done some wasteful mods in my day. Plenty that cost more than an off-the-shelf solution, even! But I think the difference is skill level. If someone's asking this question, I think it's fair to assume that their modding expertise might not be sufficient for increasing fan voltages over 12v. Now if we were talking about dropping it down to 5v or 7v, well that's just a quick wire swap and you're good, but getting a fan over 12v is pretty in-depth stuff and I just can't see that being the best recommendation here given the price of fans.