It is interesting that you mention FSX, since that is one of the main arguments for getting an i7. If you want to prove you have a better setup, compare the frame rates of FSX setups.

Yeah, I know, But I always thought this was because of the 4 cores.

Does this make it any clearer?

Yes, a little bit. I'm still unsure why the core i7's can process more per clock cycle, since both have HT, OOO, and no FMA, but if this is the basic gist of it, then thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know, But I always thought this was because of the 4 cores.

Yes, a little bit. I'm still unsure why the core i7's can process more per clock cycle, since both have HT, OOO, and no FMA, but if this is the basic gist of it, then thanks.

This is because i7's are made with a completely different architecture compared to Pentium processors. While a pentium's clock speed may be higher, it does not run as efficiently as an i7, which contains many many more transistors to do work

You need to go research processor architecture. That link is a VERY brief explanation. The Core i7 operates with the Nehalem architecture. A processor's architecture ultimately determines how quickly it processes data, followed by it's clock speed.

Comparing one architecture (Pentium IV architecture) to another (Core i7 architecture) is not a good comparison. Comparing separate architectures is like comparing cats and dogs, it just doesn't work. A Core2Quad Q9450 running at 2.66GHz and a Core i7 920 running at 2.66GHz are vastly different. While they operate at the same clock frequency, they run different architectures. Because of the architecture difference, the Core i7 920 beats the Q9450 in processing performance.

Comparing clock speeds only works when you're comparing processors running the same architecture.

The way processors are advancing is through new architectures. These new architectures allow processor to process more data faster than the previous architecture. Manufacturers are also increasing the number of cores to each processor. The maximum clock speed for processors has mostly been reached, now it's up to more cores and new architectures to increase processor performance.

Hope this helps, there's lots more to learn, but I'm not up for writing an novel. Just go browse around Google. Read up on the effect of increased number of transistors between processors, different architectures, and number of cores.

Me: Why does everybody think Billy is better than Bob?

Everyone else:Billy is better than Bob because he's different. He was made later, from different parents.

Me: What is better about him?

Everyone else: Isn't it obvious, he was made later and is different.

Me: So?

Everyone else: Everyone else everywhere else says so too!

Me: BUT WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!

No, but seriously, I looked it up. Memory Bandwidth is like 8x better. Per clock cycle, an i7 can do about 6x more in a couple things, due to its core logic implementation. The uncore is the most brilliant part though. This thread can be closed.

Because billy is built of more transistors than bob. More transistors = more ability to process data faster. Even with similar instructions sets and HT the major difference that makes i7 superior to both previous architectures is the major increase in transistors which allows it to process data at a faster rate than previous. Also the new on-die memory controller speeds up interactions between the CPU and memory since its now within the processor as opposed to being in the north bridge.

As a con though I'm sure you have found that i7 runs a tad hotter than previous architectures too. Also a cause of more transistors since there are now more sources of heat under this beast.

Edited by Compxpert

Billy is better than Bob because Billy has the right amount of Chromosomes. Bob does not.

Hope this helps.

No, seriously there has been some really good explanations, by now you should agree and even partially understand that your chip is far superior.

:)

the i7 has 6x the bandwidth in which to end data than the p4

if you drop a base ball and a bowling ball at the same time they fall at the same speed and hit the ground at the same time

so lets say the p4 with only 150 mil. transistors can processes a stack of data equivalent to the size of a baseball every second.

if you compare that to the i7 both running at 4ghz than the i7 with its 700 mil. transistors can processes an amount of data equivalent to the size of a bowling ball every second.

now both cpus are at 4ghz but since the i7 processes 6x the data in a second it(the core i7) takes less power to do the same job as the p4 and there for is faster.

Edited by personancog