OVerclocking the Nvidia GSO 9600 - Ntune?

I am new to the overclocking of video cards, so I thought I would ask first.

I have the Nvidia 9600 GSO (768 mem).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257582-33-geforce-9600

So the question is - how do I overclock it? I am running the Ntune 20 minute coarse test right now, but I didn't see anything about overclocking it. It is testing it and it says it is tuning the CPU, the PCI-e and the Memory, but not the GPU - not sure why.

Anyway, any help would be great. Thanks

I tried n-tune once or twice. Then I switched to rivatuner...never looked back.

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20...verclock-guide/

It's pretty simple to use once you get the hang of it. I use furmark, the 3dmark tests, and games to test for artifacting. Don't forget to watch your temperatures :)

I have a non overclocked 9600gt and ntune and this is how it works.

Download ntune

Click on performance, Adjust gpu frequency

Click custom clock freq

take it to 750 mhz should work fine

take memory to 950 and test for stability

Disable automatic fan control and crank it to 80%

Test

If stable keep going up slowly until system becomes unstable

Once you find it unstable back it back down a few mhz and test again

After That, click automatic fan control and see if the heat stay down,

If not you may have to turn up the fan whenever you play games etc

If you need anymore help lemme know

EDIT: Please Do Not start that high I didn't know that the GSO was a different card, it has 96 stream processors instead of 64, it may not overclock as high, sorry.

Edited by gabrieltessin

you should consider using EVGA Precision, which is a great GPU overclocking tool. it's actually probably better for new OC-ers to use than RivaTuner because of it's simplicity and straightforward-ness.

I'm concerned that you're using Ntune to OC the rest of your system. automatic/software OC tools are usually far too imprecise, and can actually damage your computer by feeding too much voltage or mucking w/other settings that need fine-tuning. PC overclocking needs to be done in the BIOS to ensure a safe and reliable overclock. please reconsider using software to OC your computer.

Ok, I do have Precision already on my system. I almost forgot about that. How do I gauge how much to move the core clock or the memory clock? The TEST button is greyed out so I can't use it. But I guess that is for Forceware or something?

I don't want to over-do this, but I would like to see some performance increase in using some compositing programs and 3d graphics. How can I test out if I am pushing it too far and what increments?

Do I assume I move it up a little and run FUR? Do I move both the Core Clock and the Memory clock at the same time or separately?

well, the GSO's clocks move up in "straps" - essentially pre-configured settings bumps. I dont remember how many MHz equals one strap, so I'd suggest bumping about 20MHz at a time and make a note when Precision actually displays a move upwards in clocks.

once you hit a new strap, test w/FurMark for stability/artifacting. when you find the outer limits of your card, and then officially set your card's speeds one strap lower.

you should also Google 9600 GSO Overclocking, and see what settings other people are getting. this can save you some time by eliminating the need to search for speeds on your own. pick a few settings that maybe 80% of reporting users have successfully hit, and start stability testing right away! you should select "middle of the road" OCs - dont immediately set your OC to the highest OC that Google reports to you.

good luck! :)

well, the GSO's clocks move up in "straps" - essentially pre-configured settings bumps. I dont remember how many MHz equals one strap, so I'd suggest bumping about 20MHz at a time and make a note when Precision actually displays a move upwards in clocks.

once you hit a new strap, test w/FurMark for stability/artifacting. when you find the outer limits of your card, and then officially set your card's speeds one strap lower.

you should also Google 9600 GSO Overclocking, and see what settings other people are getting. this can save you some time by eliminating the need to search for speeds on your own. pick a few settings that maybe 80% of reporting users have successfully hit, and start stability testing right away! you should select "middle of the road" OCs - dont immediately set your OC to the highest OC that Google reports to you.

good luck! :)

Ok, you lost me a little there. - I will have to do some more research.

As I said, there are two settings, Memory Clock and Core Clock - which one are you referring to when bumping by 20mhz? Is this something I should do separately or at the same time? If it is separately, as the gap widens between the two, what happens?

I am running Fur right now - the temp is rising, but topping out at about 60C for 600mhz.

From the quick research I did, it seems like 725 is the topping point for the stock fan. I am still wondering about the memory clock though and how high of a temp is going to be detrimental to my system.

personally, I do some Google research, find the two or three most common/non-extreme OC settings, and turn everything (core, shader, mem) up at the same time, and then stress test it. I can tell you with 90% confidence that you can OC the shaders on that card well up into the 1600MHz range. I have one that does 1728MHz on the shaders.

the memory on that card is a neutered DDR2, where most Nvidia cards rock DDR3. honestly, you're not gonna set records w/the mem clocks - I think I set mine @ 525MHz-ish and left it alone. I should also mention that I use my GSOs primarily for folding, so YMMV.

as far as heat - when you're OC-ing in Precision, just set the fan at 75-80% and leave it there. I dont think I've ever seen temps over 68C - which is just fine. :)

personally, I do some Google research, find the two or three most common/non-extreme OC settings, and turn everything (core, shader, mem) up at the same time, and then stress test it. I can tell you with 90% confidence that you can OC the shaders on that card well up into the 1600MHz range. I have one that does 1728MHz on the shaders.

the memory on that card is a neutered DDR2, where most Nvidia cards rock DDR3. honestly, you're not gonna set records w/the mem clocks - I think I set mine @ 525MHz-ish and left it alone. I should also mention that I use my GSOs primarily for folding, so YMMV.

as far as heat - when you're OC-ing in Precision, just set the fan at 75-80% and leave it there. I dont think I've ever seen temps over 68C - which is just fine. :)

Wow, there is just so much I don't know about Oc'ing. I am going to have to do some digging on this. My test has always been how fast something renders out - so when I do visual effects and compositing - if it renders faster, then the OC'ing I am going to assume is doing its job.

Setting the fan to 75-80%?! That is a lot higher then I have it now, which is at the stock of 25%.

I will have to do more google research, thanks so much for the time and effort in answering.