Taking the Server+ Exam next week.

So yeah,

I will be taking the Server+ exam next week, and was looking for some study tips...

I am horrible when it comes to studding.

I have been taking practice exams I bought, and I haven't really been retaining the information. The server+ class I took did go a lot into the stuff, but it seems like a lot thats on the practice exams is stuff that we didn't really cover or wasn't in our book...

Right now I am doing practice exams of only 25 questions and just trying to get the information in my head. The timing isn't really an issue its just trying to get the information down.

Part of me thinks that some of these exams are just luck. So yeah, any tips?

The best way to be successful in regards to certification tests is to get as much hands on experience as possible. For example, install Windows servers in virtual environments and play around with as much as possible (group policies, administration, domains, various profiles, etc)

Before you go and take the exam make sure that you feel that your truly ready to take it and know the material just don't take it to get it over with because it's not a pleasant feeling to fail an IT exam and have to re-take it. Plus Comptia exams are usually pretty pricey (although maybe not in your case because you said you get a discount from your college) and if you fail a second time they make you wait 30 days which might interfere with your plans or just be plain annoying.

When it comes to IT exams I've always found that 40% of your study time should be concentrated on studying the books and the other 60% should be used for practice questions and labs (if the exam has any). Taking practice exams is pretty important because a lot of the time the practice questions aren't too fair off from the real thing so if your use to seeing and answering the questions on the practice exams you usually have a better testing experience if you know what to expect and how to answer them. Also another strategy I have found useful is when selecting an answer look for the wrong answers first (and in the process try to think why there wrong) instead of going for the right ones first. This can be helpful because it ensures that you have fully went through all the choices and will help from getting tripped by a got ya or a trick question.

Usually what I do is read through the study book and at the end of each chapter answer the review questions. When I get done with the book I start taking practice exams every day until the day I take the exam. I usually do them in study form which for me is read the question and then pick an answer and then read the explanation to find out weather I got it right or wrong.

Well done! Now wish ME luck for my A+ test in 2 weeks.

:-D, I am really wishing I would of taken the A+ first, because a lot of stuff covered in A+ is expanded upon in the Server+....

You should do fine!

Get one of these for the A+http://www.selftestsoftware.com/ I got one for the server+ and it helped me alot!!!

A+, Network+, and Server+ are all pretty easy but they are essential building blocks for a tech resume. :)

Yes they are :), I know some people don't hold them in high regard but I think they are a great tool to show that your ready to enter the workforce as an IT professional.

CompTIA now offers Security+ which is alot harder from what I have been hearing, I want to get that eventually but I am going to focus on getting some Microsoft and the other easier CompTias...

Congrats!

Knew the material better than you thought?

What really helped me was using the practice test software and just thinking each problem out logically, making sure that the answer I picked was indeed the best choice available. CompTia likes to trick ya alot of times.

Edited by greengiant912

Yes they are :), I know some people don't hold them in high regard but I think they are a great tool to show that your ready to enter the workforce as an IT professional.

CompTIA now offers Security+ which is alot harder from what I have been hearing, I want to get that eventually but I am going to focus on getting some Microsoft and the other easier CompTias...

What really helped me was using the practice test software and just thinking each problem out logically, making sure that the answer I picked was indeed the best choice available. CompTia likes to trick ya alot of times.

But the CompTia are usually based off of the tests, which also try to trick you.

Last Cert i got was win98 Essentials !

Yes that's right i am old school

Glad to hear that you passed the exam.

Comptia's exams tend to be popular because there worth credit towards MCSA/MCSE and there typically easier to pass then some of the Microsoft exams at that level. Although they tend to not be worth too much on there own because most of Comptia's exams tend to be broad and only scratch the surface of some of the topics they cover most don't really go deep into the topics they cover.