Does AS5 or any TIM have a thermal limit?

Curious question... I've reapplied TIM to my 4870s now on two occasions first time was only on one of them and second was on both. Does AS5 or any thermal compound have a thermal limit, like at which the compound is no longer effective and starts to break up and/or deteriorate? If so what compound should I change to in order to cool better perhaps or to eliminate the need for frequent reapplications. Or is this just pebkac because the main reason why I had to reapply the first time around was because I somehow forgot to apply any TIM to begin with.... :blink:

And if your asking, no the other one did have compound on it only one did not.

PS. Yeah they aren't stock coolers... running two ThermalTake DuOrbs.

Edited by Compxpert

Curious question... I've reapplied TIM to my 4870s now on two occasions first time was only on one of them and second was on both. Does AS5 or any thermal compound have a thermal limit, like at which the compound is no longer effective and starts to break up and/or deteriorate? If so what compound should I change to in order to cool better perhaps or to eliminate the need for frequent reapplications. Or is this just pebkac because the main reason why I had to reapply the first time around was because I somehow forgot to apply any TIM to begin with.... :blink:

And if your asking, no the other one did have compound on it only one did not.

PS. Yeah they aren't stock coolers... running two ThermalTake DuOrbs.

I see this post got buried rather early.. bump.

All it is is just a layer that fills in the 'Gaps' so both surfaces make better contact, and also if you have not applied TIM at all during the 1st installation in surprised your 4870's have lasted as long as they have lol.

Here is the answer to your other question:

Extended Temperature Limits:

Peak:

I dont believe AS5 is as good as it says it is....I used to use it and I would have to re-apply it every year because it would seem like it dried up....that didnt much bother me much until I got a 939 CPU that was hotter than all get out...

It idled at 65c and fully loaded I saw 87c and I ran it on 24 hour prime runs trying to kill the chip...well at the last time I pullled the heatsink the TIM was brown and flakey.....

I switched to Zalman Grease and havent looked back....

I dont believe AS5 is as good as it says it is....I used to use it and I would have to re-apply it every year because it would seem like it dried up....that didnt much bother me much until I got a 939 CPU that was hotter than all get out...

It idled at 65c and fully loaded I saw 87c and I ran it on 24 hour prime runs trying to kill the chip...well at the last time I pullled the heatsink the TIM was brown and flakey.....

I switched to Zalman Grease and havent looked back....

You must be doing some gnarly stuff to your AS5 because for the many years I've been using it I've never experienced something like that.

I used it for years too...amybe I got a bad batch...?

the last couple rigs I put it on started having temps creep and year later and the TIM was dry and almost powdery...?

I think I am going to try the OCZ freeze stuff and switch again....

You must be doing some gnarly stuff to your AS5 because for the many years I've been using it I've never experienced something like that.

Same here. Mine looks like the day I applied it whenever I have to pull my rigs apart.