GTX 260 Core 216 - BFG or EVGA?

Hey everyone. I'm upgrading to a gtx 260 here pretty soon. I was set on the EVGA model (which is factory overclocked at 626 mhz) for $209 on newegg. They have a BFG model (factory o'ced to 590 mhz) for about $30 less. I've had both brands before, and been satisfied. I don't plan on using the step-up program, since I just play at 1280x1024 (19' monitor). Is it worth the extra money to get the superclocked version from EVGA? Newegg also has a couple of cheaper Zotac models, but I've never heard of them before. Thanks for any advice.

get the MSI 260 Unless you want my BFG and I'll get the MSI :D

I've been looking at that MSI one, but I don't know a lot about them either. My personal preference is EVGA; I've had 3 of their cards (6600 GT, 8800 GTS, 8800 GTX), and all have been great. I had 2x BFG 7950 GTs in sli 2-3 years ago, those were good too.

As for voltages, I think they're the same. I'm just wondering if the EVGA version (626 compared to 590) is worth the extra $30.

I've been looking at that MSI one, but I don't know a lot about them either. My personal preference is EVGA; I've had 3 of their cards (6600 GT, 8800 GTS, 8800 GTX), and all have been great. I had 2x BFG 7950 GTs in sli 2-3 years ago, those were good too.

As for voltages, I think they're the same. I'm just wondering if the EVGA version (626 compared to 590) is worth the extra $30.

not when the MSI is 190 and 160 after rebates while still having 655mhz. MSI is a reputable company, check out how long the card's warrantied for. Don't go for the EVGA or BFG just because of the lifetime warranty since honestly, are you going to keep it a lifetime? a 3 year warranty would be more than enough and even a 2 year would be adequate for your needs. I usually go throw video cards in about 6months minimum and 1 year max. I may only get a lifetime warrany when I buy my HTPC videocard because that will be a card that is independent of the more stressful games and I will just need to have last me throughout the years.

If he wants to go BFG or EVGA because he likes them than so be it, I can understand that. I'll pay a little extra to support the companies that treat me well too. The BFG card would only be $19 more than the MSI one after the MSI MIR. The BFG card is $10 cheaper than MSI before MIR. Some people, like me, HATE MIRs - I don't even factor them into my decision. I know some people are running 100% success on MIRs, but I been burned a few times on them ...one of the MIRs was $80. My first computer build I think I was cheated $300 in MIRs despite following all the directions to a letter.

Back to the original question... I suppose if you don't plan to OC your video card you could make an arguement that it is worth to you. It really depends on the game on whether you'll see beneft or not. Sometimes you won't see any benefit, sometimes only 2-5 fps more ...a couple games here and there maybe more. To me $30 does seem a bit steep. I know it is really $20 difference if you count the MIR but see above paragraph. It's a really personal choice man, and something tells me you probably already know which card you are leaning towards.

If you plan on OCing your graphics card than I'd say its not worth the $30.

If you don't plan on OCing your graphics card then you could make the arguement, but this is a personal choice.

MSI isn't a bad company by the way. I can't speak to their video cards as I have one of their motherboards. The MSI card (least one paper) is the best deal at the moment.

Here's a second vote for the MSI. I've owned a few of their cards over the years and whenever I've had to talk to customer service they've been more than helpful. :)

I guess I should have asked this in the first post, but newegg also has a gtx 260 (216) for $170. It's made by Zotac. I read some reviews of their factory overclocked version, seems to be good to go, just wondering if anyone had anything negative about the Zotac brand.

I guess I should have asked this in the first post, but newegg also has a gtx 260 (216) for $170. It's made by Zotac. I read some reviews of their factory overclocked version, seems to be good to go, just wondering if anyone had anything negative about the Zotac brand.

how well's it overclocked?

how well's it overclocked?

Well the $170 one is at stock (576). They also have a factory o'ced version (the Amp! edition) that is $185 and clocked at 650. I'm reading up on Zotac, seems to be good, plus they have a program just like Evga's precision tool. I guess my question now is this - are video cards hard to overclock without sending the temp through the roof? If I got the stock one, I'd probably just take it up to somewhere between 620-650 mhz.

Hmm...now newegg has a recertified evga stock gtx 260 (216) for only $170. Now I know that means it will just come in a plain box without any cables/paperwork/etc, but does anyone have any experience with buying recertified parts off of newegg?

Edited by MystoGators

Well the $170 one is at stock (576). They also have a factory o'ced version (the Amp! edition) that is $185 and clocked at 650. I'm reading up on Zotac, seems to be good, plus they have a program just like Evga's precision tool. I guess my question now is this - are video cards hard to overclock without sending the temp through the roof? If I got the stock one, I'd probably just take it up to somewhere between 620-650 mhz.

Hmm...now newegg has a recertified evga stock gtx 260 (216) for only $170. Now I know that means it will just come in a plain box without any cables/paperwork/etc, but does anyone have any experience with buying recertified parts off of newegg?

I'd get the MSI still because after rebate it comes to 160 and it has 655mhz of an overclock. My 260 is on stock cooling if you want an example of how far the 260s can go on stock cooling.