Gamers Clash over Internet Usage

insinuate

Hello to everyone,

I'm posting today to ask for a bit of help with an issue I'm having. I live with a few friends, and we happen to be avid gamers. However we have a bit of a communication issue, and one of them is insistent that my mere presence on the network causes his games to lag incredibly. I've spoken with him about checking his cables and pinging 127.0.0.1 for packet loss, but get the generic lost response.

I have been watching my Network Utilization lately, and not once have I managed greater than 1%. Mind you, we're running on a cable line and all hard wired. I have ran extensive anti-viral and anti-spyware scans, yielding no infections [other than generic cookies.] I've checked my own NIC for packet loss [0%], and next I'll be pinging the router and my other roommate's PC. And no, as far as I know [i cannot speak for them] there are no torrents running in the background.

I know this has been a bit long winded, but perhaps could anyone recommend to me a program I could run in the background recording my internet utilization or even better, the whole networks? Preferably without leaving too large of a utilization footprint. I'm getting the feeling that my roommate merely wants to blame me for this, and I really would like to have hard proof of my innocence.

Much thanks ahead of time,

Insinuate

WireShark will work.

But, if you house share, then tell your room mate to DO ONE.

You have as much right to be on-line as he does. Why should you not go on-line just cause he wants to play??

Besides, its totally bogus. On-line gaming requires such low bandwidth that even IF you where to torrent, its unlikely to have that drastic an affect.

I house share atm, and 2 of my house mates often torrent, yet my Gaming is totally unaffected.

Sounds like maybe your house mate is getting his butt whooped online, and wants something to blame.

Torrents will absolutely murder latencies even if bandwidth isn't a problem though. The instant I fire up a few torrents (even with a reasonable connection limit) my roommates' pings shoot through the roof in WoW and we have a 8 Mbps connection.

I definitely appreciate the responses from both of you. I'm playing with wireshark at the moment, and I definitely think it's going to be quite handy.

I've never personally noticed this "lag" he speaks of, so I'm thinking he's just special, lol. Not to mention the fact that it only happens when I'm home, and the other roommate never experiences it as well. :rolleyes: There's also the numerous times I've tried to diagnose this issue only to receive the classic blank stare and scoff.

I'm a little confused by what you mean by "House Share"? I don't think I've ever heard that terminology. If you mean we're all running on a single cable line through a router, then yes. Being a college student I really can't afford my own line [i know, it's cheap, but grad school isn't, heh], thus why I'd like the get this issue resolved other than just sucking up his bickering.

Thanks again,

Insinuate

Amen to grad school being expensive. I'm funded (TA / RA) and I still find myself taking out some loans. I'm defending in less than 2 month (ahhh). :O

PS. Sure sounds like he needs something to blame...sometimes lag is serverside...

PPS. WELCOME TO OCC!!

What kind of Internet connection do you guys have??

In my experience, the more computers connected off the same DSL connection, no matter what anyone is doing, the more craptastic the speed is for everyone. Heaven forbid if one person is downloading a file on LimeWire, someone is playing an online games, and someone is watching YouTube...a fourth person won't even get their email to load.

If you have cable on the other hand, it all depends on what you are doing. I have had like 6+ computers on the same cable connection and never had a problem. The only time I couldn't do anything on cable was when I had a roommate that changed some port setting on which computer that made it so he sucked all the bandwidth into his computer to download torrents and my connection went to nothing...couldn't even check my email.

Edited by cheetor1981

Yea, your roommate is full of it. Turn on a torrent or two and then ask him to show you the lag he's claiming. What games? Is there any way to check in-game ping? Also, are his in-game settings too high for his comp?

You might want to consider the router being used. Some of the older routers (or cheap ones) just are not up to the task. You might also check your torrent client settings and limit the number of connections that you have. Old cheap routers simply don't handle torrents well.

Edited by DXMage

You might want to consider the router being used. Some of the older routers (or cheap ones) just are not up to the task. You might also check your torrent client settings and limit the number of connections that you have. Old cheap routers simply don't handle torrents well.

This is also true. My old D-Link would start dropping connections when torrenting.

School is definitely way too expensive. I'm managing on a mix of TA, loans and scholarships.

As far as I know he doesn't know how to change port settings, much less what a port even is, hehe. And as I said before, I have not torrented in a long while, so I know that's not the issue. As it is a cable line, theoretically there should not be an issue here. He claims that sometimes my internet-shunning presence even slows down his web browsing, though mostly he complains about UT3. The router is a relatively new [within the last year] and a Linksys, though I don't remember the exact model off the top of my head.

His computer, while I do not have his specs, was custom built about 2-3 years ago. It was fairly decent at the time, though as we all know that goes down pretty quickly. I've asked for a demonstration before, and sometimes he really does have a bit of a lag spike, but usually it's just a huffy rampage. A few times we have all received general internet lag, as will happen, but for the most part it's only him.

Also, one of the first things he did when this started eons ago was switch the ports on the router we were on. He is also often known to unplug my internet from the router under the claims that my "internet light" was blinking too much. Yeah. This is what I have to deal with weeks before finals. I hate to rant, but it's really starting to bother me, a whole lot, hehe. :glare: