Gamers Clash over Internet Usage

insinuate

Other people being on the same connection absoultly affects me when gaming,,, perhaps its the router used but the difference is very dramatic

The other person was just surfing the net and looking at facebook etc.. not really using much bandwidth.

It really just sounds like he's being bitchy for the hell of it. I don't have a stellar connection and with three people browsing/downloading/whatever the only thing that really affects pings are torrents.

Edited by Waco

I'm almost always using either a direct-line fiber connection :) - Wait for it - split between 150-200 people :( I don't however, experince hardly any lag though sppedtest.net shows me getting about 5Mbps download and 256kbps upload so still nothing special, If not on that, I'm on a Comcast standard cable line split between 4 computers in a home office. There I get 12Mbps down and 1.5mbps upload with two NAS servers connected to the network and still no lag. I would bet he is either, A: full of it and rejecting the fact that he is pushing his aging computer too high, or B: Has firewalls and the like in the background that notice new activity on the network and start trying to detect whether it is ok or malicious etc. I know that a lot of my old computers have a ton of old, inefficient, overlapping programs that simply kill performance but I stopped changing it after I retired them to folding. Currently one has 7 firewalls from '95-'06. I would ask him how long it has been since he has done a CLEAN reinstall of windows, if it has been more than twelve months I would highly recommend it. If he has stuff that he cannot lose and cannot back up/reinstall later somehow or if he just flat out refuses I would tell him to make sure his task manager is looking cleaned up and nothing additional/obsolete/overlapping is running. If there is stuff then have him shut the extra programs down (whether each gaming session or permanently through msconfig is up to him. Finnally I would have him defragment a few times for good measure. If that takes care of the problem that ta-da! If not than update the firmwares to their latest versions and hope for the best. Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Geekspeak411