Couple of quick questions

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of ultra kazes do you have? The 3k RPM ones? If so how loud are they? Your making me want a fan controller :(

Also I am sort of scared to buy the controller because I heard horrer stories of them smoking, blowing up and god knows what else

Edited by TheConqueror

What kind of ultra kazes do you have? The 3k RPM ones? If so how loud are they? Your making me want a fan controller :(

Also I am sort of scared to buy the controller because I heard horrer stories of them smoking, blowing up and god knows what else

i have the 3k rpm ones and they are very load but it's good to know the power is there if I need it. My fan controller is working just fine and my Ultra Kazes are super silent now, and I actually can hear my GPU fan over them.

Ivy, can you possibly try to use the Scythe Kaze's (one of them) with a fan header and tell me if there is any difference in speed etc

what do you mean, like run one straight from the PSU and one straight from the fan controller (and see which, if any, is faster?)

Also another question, and a bump (IVIYTHOS have you forgotten me??? ), which RAM would be better, 800MHz @ 4-4-4-12 or 1066MHz @ 5-5-5-16? I hears something about RAM and overclocking, and I plan to OC a Phenom II 940

no I haven't, sorry I had school all day.

as to answer you question, it does seem to run at maybe 80-90% of full power just trying both right now. But I don't you'd see much of a difference in temps at the max limited fan speed and the full blown direct cable method. You won't be able to live with them full blast anyway, let alone at 80% haha. Unless you are going for suicide runs and want the absolute max, the fan controller should be just fine.

I think with the AMD's, RAM isn't as important in the overclocking process since 90% of the overclocking is done via multiplier change. so a nice set of 800mhz 4-4-4-12 should be perfectly adequate!

I run my Kazes on the absolute minimum fan settings they can without turning off. and if I wasn't folding all day I could run completely passive even at the settings I'm running now. The minimum fan setting still keeps the folding load at 60C all day and other than prime95 or serious testing, I know games shouldn't push it to far beyond that.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Oh sweet, thanks man!

So which programs are there that allow fan control through windows? And thanks for answering about the RAM, can you link me to some that is good? I was thinking G.Skill Pi Blacks but I am not sure they will fit with the heatsink :( What do you think?

Also Guys I am still lost on which AM2+ motherboard to get. My budget is around 200$ CAD, so I dont know what to get..

Edited by TheConqueror

Oh sweet, thanks man!

So which programs are there that allow fan control through windows? And thanks for answering about the RAM, can you link me to some that is good? I was thinking G.Skill Pi Blacks but I am not sure they will fit with the heatsink :( What do you think?

Also Guys I am still lost on which AM2+ motherboard to get. My budget is around 200$ CAD, so I dont know what to get..

I'd get a nice 790GX, the Biostar is my favorite of the cheaper boards since I don't know much about the quality of Asrock's and Foxconn's but post up a few of ones you're considering.

Gskill generally has the cheapest memory and they are great quality memory, but really as long as they are 800mhz and 4-4-4-12 timings they will be fine, if you fine some you aren't sure of just post them up here and I'll/We'll check em out.

Alright sweet, Thanks for baring with me here, its just I am obsessing over little things, but I just want to get this perfect.

Motherboards :

Gigabyte UD4H : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...84&Tpk=UD4H

Maybe this Asus M4a78-E : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16813131368

Basically I want to OC my phenom II 940 as far as it can go, and would like more expansion slots than one (UD4H has one X16 on X8). Price range I would say about 150-200 CAD. I would rather stay away from DFI because of their terrible customer service.

For RAM, I am pretty lost I am guessing these : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16820231211

If they dont come back in stock soon I might just get the 800 MHz ones