Couple of quick questions

Hey guys, a 2 second thread here with some fast questions, since I just bought the True 120

1) Which fan should I get? I want it to cool well, but not be too loud since I might leave my computer overnight, and currently it is really quiet. I was thinking scythe kaze 2k RPM.

2) Should the fan pull air through the heatsink or push into it?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can go for the kazes, or if you want quiet you can look at the lower speed yate loones.

Kazes are great push and pull fans, so you can put it either way, unless you put 2 fans on the heatsink you should make one push toward the back of the case and one pull the air toward the backside too.

I have no idea, but I'm guessing pushing.

The only air cooling I have ever used is stock, so I think you should wait for other replies before you buy anything. ;)

Alright, waiting for replies ....

Also does anybody here have one of those cheaper fan controllers (sunbeam rheobus or that other one that looks like an X), do they actually work? Will it like blow up in my face

How much money do you consider cheap? There's a great zalman one for 30 bucks, I just bought it 15 minutes ago.

low speed yate loons

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Ca...12-pr-3009.html

And for future reference

Environmental Noise
Weakest sound heard 	0dB
Whisper Quiet Library 	30dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 	60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 	80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 	85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 	90dB
Subway train at 200' 	95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 	90 - 95dB
Power mower at 3' 	107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle 	100dB
Power saw at 3' 	110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 	115dB
Pain begins 	125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 	125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 	140dB
Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast 	140dB
Death of hearing tissue 	180dB
Loudest sound possible 	194dB

Edited by OverclockTheStock

Actually NVM on the fan controller, I only really wanted to get the Sunbeam Rheobus but I will see if my local store has some fan controllers so I dont need to wait for shipping.

Also do the low speed yate loons push enough air? Would it be smart to just get high speed ones and then throttle them down a little?

Pushing the air through is always the best for maximum cooling because this way you get the full airflow through the heatsink. If you make the fan pull the air through you are bound to draw air from the periphery which will have a slightly less cooling effect.

Why go for a "cheaper" fan controller when you can let the motherboard and bios do the work for you?

Cheers

Paul

Well because I heard the fan headers dont have enough juice to power the fans (12V, 0.1-0.5Amps)

*Edit* I think I will stick with Scythe Kaze's since they are 38MM thick and provide more static pressure, which I heard works better on heatsinks.

Edited by TheConqueror

Well because I heard the fan headers dont have enough juice to power the fans (12V, 0.1-0.5Amps)

*Edit* I think I will stick with Scythe Kaze's since they are 38MM thick and provide more static pressure, which I heard works better on heatsinks.

Which is why I told you the kazes are good for push and pull.

I used to run my fan as push through my s1283, but I switched it to pull and there is no real difference in temps. I think push is slightly better, but the way I had my case configured made push very difficult to install. The fan would be right next to my northbridge heatsink and hard to put on. Overall, push is better though.