Building a budget gaming rig

saffi365

Hi,

I have recently thought of building a $1300 AUD for a while and now i have decided that im fed up with my old comp so i want to build a new one but i need help on the parts. Im not sure if these parts are good or if im paying to much. I cant use Newegg because im aussie so just post the component you reccomend and i will look it up on my local computer store site.

System Specs:

Cpu: X3 Phenom II 720 - $225

Mobo: G-B MA790XT-UD4P- $199

RAM: Kingston 2gb DDR3 1333mhz- $52 (will upgrade to 4-6 gb in 2 months)

GPU: Sapphire 4890 1gb DDR5- $439

HDD: WD 320gb- $72

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek D1284 $45

PSU: Corsair 650wTX $169

Case: Thermaltake V9 $111

Total: 8 $1312

Yes i spent and extra 12 bucks but thats fine because i can spare $12-$30 on my build. Just checking if this is the right build and will play all latest games at like 40 fps+. Crysis 30+. I play at 1680x1050 or sometimes 1400x1050 but i mostly want to play on my native resolution. Thx in advance :D

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

http://www.scorptec.com.au/

http://cpl.net.au/ click on green guide for price list.

Just incase you want to see what is avaliable in the stores.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

439 for that video card? are you insane man. its 250 in the u.s. i'd check around cuz thats not even close to the right price and why buy a triple core when you can get a quad for the same price??? evertyhing else looks good. BUT if you can afford to build an i7 rig go for it. u wont be sorry

its aussie dollars and it should be cheaper but australia just cant price it right lol. its cheapest i could find so dont blame me blame the comp shops.

Edited by saffi365

For 1680x1050 gtx 260 is max for all games besides crysis,go for it,even in future for your res. if you do not plan on going to something bigger,4890 is a waste go with the gtx260.DDR3 waste,go for cheaper DDR2 with a DDR2 board.

SLI starts scaling well above 1920x1200,for your current monitor waste,I am not saying you would not feel any difference but for a budget rig it is a waste.

single 260 will do superb at 1680x1050.You would probably be good with a GTS 250 or a 4850,4870 but the 260 is right now the best buy.SLI well if you go nVidia than you get an nForce chipset that means SLI.You can always pop in a second card,but it should not be required at your RES.

As for intel or amd,AMD seems right for a budget build,personally i am an intel guy and prefer intel,i would never get an X3 because they have the faulty 4 core.But many people have them and are happy with them.Its up to you to choose which platform.If you go intel,get a nice intel chipset like P45 do not get nForce,intel chipsets are better much better and since you do not need SLI go for P45 with intel.

Edited by SAJBAMA

That depends on your budget and what you will be doing/playing. Intel is better for some applications and AMD for others. Intels overclock better sometimes AMD do other times. Its to broader question really. Also i would reccomend DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings. It will be just as fast but is much simpler and somtimes a fair bit cheaper than 1066

Awesome. Ill go with the intel cpus since i never used amd. Gtx260 lowered my total down by 130 bucks!! meaning i can get a cpu that is worth 355 lolz. or around 300 margin. i cant find any 4-4-4-12 timings but i found kingston hyperx 2x1gb sli ram for $80 and 1066mhz OCZ sli ram is $75. Which one will be better? ill do some research on the cpu and tell u guyz what i chose and see if its the right choice.

edit: I found Team group ram 4-4-4-12 800mhz 2gbs for $56 good for overclocking?

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/23457-...2048m800hc4dc-d

Edited by saffi365

Intels overclock better sometimes AMD do other times.

What?Show me one good example of AMD overclocks besides PII X4 940.Stock AMD cant clock even on Water and he is going for air he will be much better with Intel.Even the BE were not very good overclockers even with the unlocked multi,i could not reach 3.2GHZ on a X2 7750 where the e5200 hits the 4GHZ mark with ease.E5200,E7400,E8400 they all hit 4GHZ with ease from my experience.Its a little bit harder with the quads like q8200,8300,9300 because they have low multis but with a good board that can reach 500fsb you can clock them quite well into the 3,5GHZ teritory without big problems 3.2-3.4 is more realistic.Q9400,9450 and up all clock well above 3.6.

Gaming wise,they are both great chips,it depends a lot if you will be doing some video or would would be the second task after gaming.If you do video and rendering or plan on playing GTA4 than quad.Had them side to side and i have not noticed much of a difference between E8400-4GHZ and Q6600-3.6 GHZ in gaming maybe 3-5FPS in some games,depends a lot on the game some like quads,some duals.E8400 is a newer chip,45nm,cooler but the Q6600 is still a very good chip slightly old lots of cahce,nice overclocking,holds a lot of volts but does produce a lot more heat than E8400 but than its a quad.At 8400 stock and Q6600 at 3GHZ no difference and you can get q6600 easily to 3 with just fsb stock volts running cool.I would go for a q6600 and you should be fine even for gaming if you overclock it.

IF you do extreme OC like 4.4ghz or something like that with the 8400 it will pull ahead but really 3.5ghz is pretty fine for gaming nowadays,applications will get optimized for quads in the future.Cant go wrong with any of them depends what the price difference is.

Q6600 i will get and have $92 left on ram. Since researching about team group i think ill get them and still have $33+45 to spend on cooler which is awesome. Ill look at frozty tech reviews