Q9300 gets hot(?)

Flibo

Hello! I have a Q9300 at 3,4 GHz with 1,36V set on bios and 1,336V in cpu-z. From what I've read, those are pretty high voltages, but I couldn't get it stable with less.

Anyway, I bought a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme cooler some time ago and I'm not sure if my temps got so much lower... At idle I'm at ~40 degrees and in stress more like ~63 degrees. From what I remember, the idle temperature wasn't much higher with the stock cooler, so is Ultra-120 eXtreme just really bad at idle temperature or is that normal or what? However, the load temperature dropped with like... ~20 degrees? So at least that's fine :)

So if there is a problem, what is it? Badly applied thermal paste? Bad thermal paste? Bad cooler? Bumpy cpu?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but forgive me, I'm a new one here :P

~63 is fine for the Q9300. A bit hot for my taste but I'm on water. What program did you use to stress it? Those temps look pretty much normal for a quad with high voltage on air.

I used IntelBurnTest, I suppose it should get it pretty hot?

EDIT: By the way, is there a way I could lower the vcore? By raising other voltages or such?

Edited by Flibo

You could try playing with the vcore and nb voltages, but for me it's a simple matter of crank the vcore to max and raise the mhz until its unstable. The Q9450 I have does 4 ghz on 1.45 volts but doesn't do 4.05 at 1.8 volts. Gotta hate fsb walls.

~63 is fine for the Q9300. A bit hot for my taste but I'm on water. What program did you use to stress it? Those temps look pretty much normal for a quad with high voltage on air.

Since when? While it is under the maximum spec 63 C is still hot for a C2Q at 3.4

Since when? While it is under the maximum spec 63 C is still hot for a C2Q at 3.4

Mine runs at 75 C full load after about 10 minutes of IntelBurnTest. 63 is good even with an excellent cooler AFAIK.

Yaaay! Another user with the Q9300 oddball! I got the TR TRUE Black cooler for mine, and my temperatures are similar to yours, somewhat less due too lower clock. I was thinking if I should lap my cpu/HS...