I'm new to overclocking need help.

dupp

Hi i would like to overclock my q9550 to the MAX, specs = GA-EP45T-DS3R/8gig ddr3 1333mhz/750w psu w/gtx 295

I followed this guide, please fill the following with the highest i could go with, i will send 20$ trough paypal if an advanced person in overclocking get it to 4ghz STABLE, thank you very much for helping me out.

:

1. MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

2. Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Fast

3. CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8

4. Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.5

5. CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.612

6. Clock Chip Control

7. Standard Clock Control

8. CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]

9. CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 425Mhz

10. PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

11. C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

12. Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]

13. CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800

14. PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900

15. CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< auto

16. MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< auto

17. DRAM [color=blue #33 important][color=blue #33 important]Performance[/color][/color] Control

18. Performance Enhance...................: [sTANDARD]

19. Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled

20. (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]

21. System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.00D

22. Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 850Mhz

23. DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

24. Standard Timing Control

25. CAS Latency Time........................9

26. tRCD .........................................9

27. tRP'...........................................9

28. tRAS..........................................24

29. ^^^ You may be able to get 544-12 or 544-15, but if not should be able to use 555-12 ^^^

30. Advanced Timing Control = *ALL THESES AUTO*

31. tRRD...........................................

32. tWTR..........................................

33. tWR............................................

34. tRFC...........................................

35. tRTP...........................................

36. Command Rate (CMD) ....................

37. Driving Strength Profiles

38. Driving Strength ............................800-1066

39. Channel A

40. Static tRead Value.........................:9-12

41. tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well

42. tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto

43. tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto

44. tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto

45. Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto

46. Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto

47. Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto

48. Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto

49. Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

50. Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

51. Channel B

52. Static tRead Value.........................:9-12

53. tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well

54. tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto

55. tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto

56. tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto

57. Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto

58. Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto

59. Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto

60. Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto

61. Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

62. Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

63. Motherboard Voltage Control

64. Voltage Type.

try this, i have a q9550 at 4ghz right now, on a ga-ep45-ud3p with 4 gigs of ram.

F8 Bios

Advanced Bios Features:

Limit CPUID: disabled

No-Execute: disabled

C1E: disabled

C2/C2E: disabled

CPU Thermal Monitor: disabled

CPU EIST: disabled

Virtualization: Enabled (this can be disabled safely)

Initial display: PEG

Power management:

HPET: Enabled (either this or APIC can be used, its needs one or the other)

MIT

Robust Graphics: Auto

CPU Clock: 8.5x

CPU Host Clock: Enabled

CPU Host Mhz: 471

PCI Express Mhz: Auto

CIA2: Disabled

DRAM

Performance Enhance: Auto

XMP: Auto

GMCH Latch: Auto

System Memory Multiplier: 2.00B

DRAM Select: Auto

set the North Bridge to 1.2

my cpu core is at 1.3 in the bios and its about 1.25 after vdroop

everything not mentioned is set to auto, your home is pretty much the CPU volts, these gigabyte UD3's overclock like a dream. I don't know but if you cant get over 4.0 its gonna probably mean you have a cooling issue or a CPU that just wont clock that high.

whats you temps? what cooler do you have? what kind of core stepping is your cpu?

i would ebay that M/B and get a ga-ep45-ud3p or ga-ep45-ud3r and some 1066 ddr2 in 2gb sticks. 8gb of ddr3 is useless

Edited by mgsmid

i would need a good guide cauz im french and i need the list that i linked above with some units changed, i need a GOOD overclock "guide" i wanna overclock it perfectly, thank you for helping me, ( i ordered a zalman socket 775 cooler for my cpu ) could i oc it over 4ghz ?

w/e i need an advanced person that know how to overclock to the maximum etc.

BTW the 20$ thru paypal is for the best guide, thank you :)

What zalman ?9700 or 9900?Quads(even 45nm)produce a lot of heat and the Zalman 9700 was not good with quads.9900 is more ok with quads(even i7) but i would still suggest a TRUE for a quad.

Well, unfourtunately 4GHz is outside the realm of possibility for most quads, normally due to the amount of heat they produce. Its a good goal to work towards, but do not be disappointed if you cant get there (although apparently someone else who posted did). Every chip is different, and every chip might have different limits, so you should not look for the settings of other people for your overclock... they do not have your chip. Only you do, so it needs to be you that determines your best OC.

That being said, here at OCC we help people overclock. So thats what I'll do :D First off, read the guide that was posted as a sticky in this forum: How to overclock Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads. Its a very long, VERY good guide on how to achieve your best overclock on the proessor. Read the whole thing very carefully, it will explain everything you need to know to get started. After you read it, if you have more questions, dont hesitate to ask. This forum is populated with some very very smart people who will be happy to answer any question you have. If you dont have questions, then get clocking! The OC process for me took 2 weeks.. I would mess with it at night and do overnight stress testing.

I do not believe that guide goes too far into detail about advanced memory overclocking, which is the next stage after CPU overclocking, so when you are satisfied with your CPU speed come on back and I or someone else will guide you through clocking up your memory subsystem for that extra little boost of performance.

As for the cooler you bought, it is a very nice one, Zalman makes a good cooler, but there are coolers that are FAR better for around the same price. I do not think you will go as far as you want to go using that cooler. However, you will be able to go somewhere, so its not too too too big of a deal.

Good luck!!

Yes zalman is good but the 9700 was designed before quads and was not capable for oc quads.9900 is quad acceptable but for the money you could get a better cooler.Q9550 clock high,all 3 i saw did 4ghz but that was on custom water loops or a TRUE.

I would say you probably top somewhere on 3.6ghz with the zalman.Overclocking is always time consuming process,you just dont enter values and bam its done.You step up a bit at a time and see how far each component goes.Get one stable,move to the next one and so on until your RIG is tweaked.Getting overclock stable usually takes me more than a week.Take the time,there is no rush,read the guide and start slowly,test it,after some time you might reach the limits and choose what temps,voltages are acceptable for you.Some people do run crazy voltages 24/7,while others preffer lifespan,lower noise etc.Its all about what you are comfortable with.Also besides benches you would not see a dramatic speedboost on 3.6ghz vs 4ghz so dont be ashamed if you dont reach the 4ghz mark,you will still have a pretty speedy CPU, and besides overclocking is all about the fun of it.

i would need a good guide cauz im french and i need the list that i linked above with some units changed, i need a GOOD overclock "guide" i wanna overclock it perfectly, thank you for helping me, ( i ordered a zalman socket 775 cooler for my cpu ) could i oc it over 4ghz ?

w/e i need an advanced person that know how to overclock to the maximum etc.

BTW the 20$ thru paypal is for the best guide, thank you :)

we'll no one is going to be able to tell you exactly how to get to 4ghz every CPU is different. there just like hot pockets, some explode after three minutes in the microwave and some are still cold in the middle after three minutes, its all about finding out what is right for you hot pocket, some testing/trial and error is required in every case. I was gonna post of of my results, i just ran my Q9550 from 400 mhz to 490 in an attempt to get to 500mhz or 4.25ghz on air, watch for that post later on tonight later, take a look at how i overclock and see if that will help.

Edited by mgsmid

i dont wanna read the guide because im french and i dont want to... mmh sorry... read false and do errors :P

so if som1 could link me the clocks @ 3.6/3.8/4ghz i would like it, because i know how to oc with fsb/cpu multiplier, but im confused about the voltages and etc, i changed the ram timings to what my ram is, but i really wanna overclock. so heres my question:

1- what do i change exept fsb/cpu multiplier.

2- how can i know that my computer is unstable ? it it when it freeze or only when some programs crash ?

3- can som1 make me the list of what i need to change in my bios exept my fsp/cpu multiplier/ram timings ?

4- should i tweak the advanced ram timings ?

5- ne1 want 20$ from paypal for a simple list with steps of what i would need to do for 3.6/3.8/4ghz, please :(

i orddered the following to overclock: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16835118037

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16835118003

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16835200028

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16820145198

Thank you OCC.

Edited by dupp

1- what do i change exept fsb/cpu multiplier.

2- how can i know that my computer is unstable ? it it when it freeze or only when some programs crash ?

3- can som1 make me the list of what i need to change in my bios exept my fsp/cpu multiplier/ram timings ?

4- should i tweak the advanced ram timings ?

5- ne1 want 20$ from paypal for a simple list with steps of what i would need to do for 3.6/3.8/4ghz, please :(

1. vcore. It's the voltage that goes through your processor, turn it up one notch at a time when the processor becomes unstable from fsb being too high.

2. Test it, use the program Prime95 and run it for a few hours after each bump up on the FSB and vcore.

3. No, nobody can give you settings for your BIOS, because there aren't any "perfect settings" If there were we'd all set 'em and go home. You can only determine your BIOS settings from trial and error, find something that works and run with it, if it doesn't work, change it.

4. You don't really need to mess with those unless you have a stable system already and you just want to sqeeze out a little more performance out of your system.

5. Nobody can tell you a simple list, because there is none. You are asking for something that doesn't exist. To overclock, you increase the FSB until testing with Prime95 gives errors, and then you bump up the vcore, rinse, repeat, and be patient. That's about the simplest list you can get.