Good ocing air cooler?

rgsgww

Wow, a lot of information! Thanks for the replies :)

I'm at 3.6, so I thought going to 4.0-4.2 would get me around 66 max. Wanted a better cooler.

I have this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811133052

I'm looking at this HS you suggested

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835207004

So there really isn't much of a difference between the Sunbeam CR-CCTF Core-Contact Freezer and the Thermalright true 120?

That Sunbeam looks nice. In the newegg pics it shows the bottom with the heatpipes, do the heatpipes actually contact the IHS directly?

it looks like it to me, which I think is the new, better way to do things with coolers as it seems to be very effective by both the Core Contact and Xigmatek coolers.

Then just pop two super scythe fans on it and have a ball ;) (though 66C max wouldn't be bad at all at 4.2ghz fyi)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest this since you have full tower... it should fit easily.

I'm having awesome results with it on both of my PCs (Q6600 @ 3.33, Q9650 @ 3.0).

Fan is quiet all the way to 1800rpm(2000rpm max) of course, depending on what you consider quiet.

ambient : 19

question:

On the coolermaster v8 and v10, does it have red backlighting? Some photos I have seen look like it does. If it does I might go with it to replace my current cooling solution. I am hitting 90+ with prime 95 before I chicken out and shut it down. If the coolermasters have red backlighting I will get one of those. I know it is vain but I am very picky on appearance.

Looks like I might just go for the XIGMATEK cooler.

I use a lot of as5, what is the best thermal compound that you know of?

arctic cooling mx-2 I think is the best or OCZ freeze extreme

question:

On the coolermaster v8 and v10, does it have red backlighting? Some photos I have seen look like it does. If it does I might go with it to replace my current cooling solution. I am hitting 90+ with prime 95 before I chicken out and shut it down. If the coolermasters have red backlighting I will get one of those. I know it is vain but I am very picky on appearance.

Yes, they both do... V8 and V10

Just be very, very careful with V10 if you decide to buy it... since its supposed to be mounted and over ram/chipset too.

It might look "normal" on pics... but trust me, I have V8 and it looked like pack of smokes compared to V10.

Well I have decided and bought the XIGMATEK cooler and the mx-2 thermal compound. I also got two 63cfm 120mm fans to mount on both sides of the XIGMATEK, also are a nice blue color.

I also got two thermal pads for my mosfets and a new fan for the side door with a grill (old 140mm was beat up because stupid people stuck their fingers in it :lol: )

Also, for the XIGMATEK cooler from newegg, it does not come with a backplate, so you need to get one for your socket version.

Edited by rgsgww

So there really isn't much of a difference between the Sunbeam CR-CCTF Core-Contact Freezer and the Thermalright true 120?

That Sunbeam looks nice. In the newegg pics it shows the bottom with the heatpipes, do the heatpipes actually contact the IHS directly?

1. I don't think so. Maybe 1-2 degrees difference, but no biggie.

2. Yesh. Heatpipes make contact with the IHS.

Well I have decided and bought the XIGMATEK cooler and the mx-2 thermal compound. I also got two 63cfm 120mm fans to mount on both sides of the XIGMATEK, also are a nice blue color.

I also got two thermal pads for my mosfets and a new fan for the side door with a grill (old 140mm was beat up because stupid people stuck their fingers in it :lol: )

Also, for the XIGMATEK cooler from newegg, it does not come with a backplate, so you need to get one for your socket version.

which one the S1283 or S1284?

Yes, they both do... V8 and V10

Just be very, very careful with V10 if you decide to buy it... since its supposed to be mounted and over ram/chipset too.

It might look "normal" on pics... but trust me, I have V8 and it looked like pack of smokes compared to V10.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I am going with the v8 for aesthetic reasons, well that and the fact I need a good cooler for my i7. While the v10 is an intriguing idea with the ram heat sink and all, but ultimately the price and bulkiness are a turn off. Just cuz i have the room in the dcase doesn't mean that I have to fill it up.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I am going with the v8 for aesthetic reasons, well that and the fact I need a good cooler for my i7. While the v10 is an intriguing idea with the ram heat sink and all, but ultimately the price and bulkiness are a turn off. Just cuz i have the room in the dcase doesn't mean that I have to fill it up.

Nonsense, get the Scythe Orochi scythe%20Orochi%20(Scorc-1000)%2004.jpg

I hate the V10 btw, the V8's cool though

Edited by IVIYTH0S