Q6600 OC help

mustiej

Hi guys im very new here:D

Celebrating my first message!

WHOOO

Okke!

Thas was enough.

Alright here it comes!!

I wana overclock my q6600 2.4ghz to 3 or 3.2ghz.

i know how to do it very easy.

BUT as some of you knows that intel is famous of blocking they chips to not get overclocked.

So i dont have mb intelligent tweaker.

And i tried the secrets buttons.

it doesn't work.

how can i unlock this?

or some people using softwares.

Could someone explain me how to do it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys im very new here:D

Celebrating my first message!

WHOOO

Okke!

Thas was enough.

Alright here it comes!!

i know how to do it very easy.

BUT as some of you knows that intel is famous of blocking they chips to not get overclocked.

So i dont have mb intelligent tweaker.

And i tried the secrets buttons.

it doesn't work.

how can i unlock this?

or some people using softwares.

Could someone explain me how to do it?

I will let some of the experts chime in, but there is more to ocing.

When the chips have a "locked" multiplier, so you cannot change the multiplier. This is what we multiply your fsb to get the final clock speed.

You are going to need to change your fsb to get an overclock.

The bios is the best way to oc.

For a first time oc, set the vcore up a small amount, go in baby steps pushing the vcore until you hit a stable voltage. Make your your eyes are on the temps. You then would check for stability and slowly lower your vcore to a lower, but stable voltage.

Set software like realtemp to the proper TJ max for your chip for somewhat "more accurate" readings.

Do be sure that the pci busses are not set to auto!

Take baby steps, I would not recommend you to bump the frequency an extra ghz that fast.

*some inaccurate info.

Edited by rgsgww

I will let some of the experts chime in, but there is more to ocing.

When the chips have a "locked" multiplier, so you cannot change the multiplier. This is what we multiply your fsb to get the final clock speed.

You are going to need to change your fsb to get an overclock.

The bios is the best way to oc.

For a first time oc, set the vcore to "auto" your mobo should detect the required voltage. You then would check for stability and slowly lower your vcore to a lower, but stable voltage.

Set software like realtemp to the proper TJ max for your chip for somewhat "more accurate" readings.

Do be sure that the pci busses are not set to auto!

Take baby steps, I would not recommend you to bump the frequency an extra ghz that fast.

I would say definetely do NOT put voltages on auto, it will overvolt everything like crazy, especially if you have to bump up the fsb. I would agree though do all your ocing in the bios. My uncle has a Q6600 that he got to 3ghz with 1.4 something volts, just as an example, on an ASUS P5 board (not sure what one). Try also using google and typing in your cpu and motherboard followed by overclock, and 9 times out of 10 you will get 3 or 4 different links to people with successful overclocks with that setup or at least get you on the right track. Good luck.

No..... Dell,Gateway, etc. lock their Bios so you can't OC. Intel only limits how high your multiplier will go. You can still OC without a problem.

I just posted a message to someone else on how to do this earlier today for the same chip (Q6600). You can find it here. The first paragraph is a reply to someone else's advice, so start with the second :)

I would say definetely do NOT put voltages on auto, it will overvolt everything like crazy, especially if you have to bump up the fsb.

:blink:

Where are you getting this? This is just really not accurate. Why would 'auto' settings 'overvolt everything'? I'd be willing to bet that over half of the people on this forum have at least one voltage on their board set to 'auto'. I know I do! :rolleyes: There are good reasons to not use auto settings. This is NOT one of them.

The reason most pros tell you not to use 'auto' settings is because it's better to just set it to what you know you want it to be. Why wonder what the board thinks 'auto' means when you can just set it directly to what you want, right? So... if you know what you want, it's better to just set it. If you don't know, setting it on 'auto' is fine and is certainly better than just changing it arbitrarily because someone told you your computer would melt if you didn't.

I just fried a board a while ago because I left settings on auto for things like the northbridge and southbridge. I can say, though, at low fsb (300-400) my board did a pretty good job with voltages. At 425fsb and higher, it would put the northbridge and vtt 0.2-0.3 volts more than what was really needed. Of course I learned this after the board was toast (yay google). In my opinion, if he is going to use relatively low fsb (q6600 is 266ish if I remember?) and maybe OC a little he should be fine, but I wouldn't use auto as a handicap for absolutely everything.

When I said auto for the first oc I meant just to get a stable voltage so you then would work down from that voltage. You do need to keep your eyes on the volts. Some software will not give you accurate readings. My vcore is 1.3 but cpuid reads 1.217-.245 and coretemp seems stuck at 1.25555

Thanks guys for the fast reply.

I'm gonna take it very easy.

But when i overclocked my proccesor to 3ghz or something and my computer will not startup what is the option?

Windows vista reinstall?

All my files will lost!

guys i just searched a long time ago and now i searched like 2 hours i cant find a sulution.

I typed everything it doesn't even show BLOCK.

Some people used Ntune.

Maybe that could be a sulution?

Thanks guys for the fast reply.

I'm gonna take it very easy.

But when i overclocked my proccesor to 3ghz or something and my computer will not startup what is the option?

Windows vista reinstall?

All my files will lost!

Jumping from 2.4 to 3.0 isn't taking it easy. You need to increase the FSB by like 5-10 each time and run stability tests when you get into Windows. If you get to a point that you can't boot, you can increase your VCore.

The idea of going slow is so this never happens. By going slow, and more importantly by testing stability regularly, you'll find instability LONG before it makes your PC unbootable.

If this does happen though, you just need to reset your CMOS. There's a jumper on your board (usually near the battery) that lets you clear all the settings back to default so it will boot again.