Removing LEDs from BTF80

I have a BTF80 cooler and I am trying to remove the red LEDs from it. It's the same design as the BTF90 that was reviewed on the site so I was hoping someone here could help me. Truth is I can't even figure out where they're located and I most certainly don't have easy access.

I thought about just spray painting the fan but I'm afraid I might clog it up and wreck it.

Help?

I have a BTF80 cooler and I am trying to remove the red LEDs from it. It's the same design as the BTF90 that was reviewed on the site so I was hoping someone here could help me. Truth is I can't even figure out where they're located and I most certainly don't have easy access.

I thought about just spray painting the fan but I'm afraid I might clog it up and wreck it.

Help?

zthermBTF80_pspc.jpg

Looks like they're located on the circuit board right behing the fan, they are smd's if im correct. I think the best thing to do would be to de-solder them.

You'd have to look up a guide to dissassembling a cpu fan, and remove the fan to get any decent acces to it. Other then that maybe taking some needle nose and gently pulling the smd's off the board.

• 1 month later...

They were the LEDs btw. For now they're covered with a bit of tape which lessens the light but damn they are persistent and bright. I don't want to try to pull them out by fear of breaking something.

Cooler is pretty nice. My E8400 @ 3.4 idles about 39C and Prime95 took it up to 53C MAX.

Edited by angelicvoices