i7 4.0ghz w00t insane temps

Seems I got it stable at 1.42v..... just touched 70C full load but its really fluctuating between 60-70C... Hmm I still use that age old method of spreading my TIM over the CPU... Though I notice the current guide from Arctic Silver has you putting a strip down the middle.. Its there any particular difference between the two methods? Upped the ram voltage a bit again cus I'm getting mem related BSODs so ram isn't yet stable.

MMM CPU-Z Screenie + RealTemp:

i740ghz.jpg

Edited by Compxpert

Seems I got it stable at 1.42v..... just touched 70C full load but its really fluctuating between 60-70C... Hmm I still use that age old method of spreading my TIM over the CPU... Though I notice the current guide from Arctic Silver has you putting a strip down the middle.. Its there any particular difference between the two methods? Upped the ram voltage a bit again cus I'm getting mem related BSODs so ram isn't yet stable.

MMM CPU-Z Screenie + RealTemp:

i740ghz.jpg

i see 2 systray folding clients running and they aren't helping the temps any....what is tjmax on the 1399's anyway...?? B:) looks like it might be 100c....otherwise very nice...!!

Not sure on TJ max.... what I am sure of is I need my mem to be stable... I can't seem to get away from 1600mhz freq on ram or 1-8-8-8-24 timings @ ..... 1.7v not good I'm sure but it won't run stable at a lower voltage or on any other setting... Can someone help me to get my mem stable? Cus I'm lost.

Sweet! If I make an i7 build I also wanna reach 4ghz. What cooling are you using?

ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 "TRUE" Black Edition w/ 2x 120mm Sythe Kaze Jyunis.

Edited by Compxpert

Thats got to be on water! Looks nice though!

Meh I can't get the mem stable no matter what... I don't know what to do. :lol: As it goes unless I can get my mem stable I can't do 4ghz.

Ram is capable of what I'm throwing at it yet.... Memtest is throwing errors... Is there something wrong with the memory..? Its capable of 1600mhz at 9-9-9-24 1.5-1.6v so why on earth is this system not stable at 4ghz is beyond me.

Hey I just realized something... Since the CPU now features an one die mem controller if the CPU isn't stable wouldn't the mem throw errors because of that?

Edited by Compxpert

Any i7 buffs here... I'm kinda stuck for stability here. It won't work at 4.0 with the ram at 1600 with 1.650v it give errors in memtest and I can't even down clock it cus that causes it to just beep... I hope this ram isn't having issues. Cus it was the Christmas contest ram xD and I'd rather not have to put down on 6 gigs of triple channel now. Settings are as follows

Attempted 4.0 Settings

QPI Frequency: 4.800GT/s (BCLK*18*2)

Non-Turbo Ratio: 20x

CPU Base Clock: 200mhz

DRAM Freq: BCLK * 08mhz = 1600mhz

Uncore Freq: BCLK * 16 = 3200mhz

DRAM voltage: 1.650v

Vcore: 1.42500v

CPU VTT 1.42v

I've tried higher VTT and vcore up to 1.45 but no luck.

It will post, boot and then soon after i log in boom it does a BSOD or not much long after.

Edited by Compxpert

my guess would be if you're running it at 8-8-8-24 and it's rated for 9-9-9-24 then run it at the 9 timings...even if it's running a lower mhz than rated the 9 series timings may help stability...

my guess would be if you're running it at 8-8-8-24 and it's rated for 9-9-9-24 then run it at the 9 timings...even if it's running a lower mhz than rated the 9 series timings may help stability...

I had already tried that but just for kicks I even tried 10-10-10-24 and had no luck there either.

I only have those timings set all else is auto.

IMG_6762.png

Those are all available settings

I only have

DRAM Command Rate: 1N

CAS Latency Time (tCL): 9

RAS# to CAS# Delay (TRCD): 9

RAS# Precharge (tRP): 9

Precharge Delay (tRAS): 24

set

all else is default values shown in pic

Edited by Compxpert