ep45-ud3r

core2quad q6600 2.4 g0 with stock heatsink

nividia xfx 9600 gso

wd 120gb ide 5400rpm

lg dvd ide

2gbx2 800mhz

h.e.c 500w psu

i have few questions

1) does overclock minimize my proccessor lifetime ?

2) i want a guide to how to overclock my system to 3.0ghz or even 2.7ghz but with compelete steps to not toast anything !!!!

3) does my ide devices absorb alot of heat and if i changed to sata devices this will reduce the heat inside the case ?

4) my idle temps for the q6600 is 30c-40c , my 9600 gso is idle at 39c , is that normal ?

5) compelete bios settings for best performance ?

I think you're oversimplifying the overclocking process.

There's not one set of settings that we can just tell you and you can put in and be done. It takes time and measurement and testing. Every chip is different, so even if I have the same parts, my OC settings may not work for you.

You should start by reading some of the OC guides around here.

hello, welcome to occ...

before going any further, you should have a good third party cpu cooler (heatsink/fan). this is very important when overclocking...if you're using a stock cooler, you should absolutely look into purchasing something good to fit your cpu and needs. if you wanna make a thread about it, you should receive plenty of help finding one and then perhaps get back to this.

also, what ram do you have?

here is something you could do that should keep your system safe and not fry anything, once getting a good cpu cooler...

1) download occt and prime95...

you can get them here...

http://majorgeeks.com/OCCT_d5612.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

(bookmarking that website for any future reference might be a good idea, as it's probably the best place to download free pc programs for enthusiasts)

after installing those programs, you should reboot and go into bios (if you're not familiar with these steps, you should do some reading and atleast get a general idea of them...you may also wanna do some research on your particular motherboard and perhaps locate the motherboard manual for reference).

once in bios, you should find the front side bus setting and raise it very little...as little as possible...save and reboot.

if the pc reboots fine into windows, that's a good thing...it means initially that you're close, but still not necessarily successful on the overclock.

at this point, it would be a good idea to open up occt and get an idea of how to use it and recognize your temperature settings...as long as you keep the temps under 70C load, then you should be fine...however, around 50C is probably a much better rule of thumb just to be on the safe side.

while running occt in the background, you should then open prime95 and begin a torture test (it should be called). running this through the first couple of tests should be sufficient in order to be fairly certain that this small increment overclock is mostly stable (you should plan to do much more thorough stability testing once getting the overclock where you want it).

if the first couple of prime 95 tests pass, then you should be all set to go back into bios and raise the front side bus a little more...

please only use very small increments and not get excited and bump it up too much...this can be very dangerous to a cpu, as when the overclock gets higher you are almost certainly going to need more cpu voltage...

once you raise the front side bus (fsb) again, then just follow the above steps until you get a blue screen...

don't worry, just go into bios and raise the voltage a little bit and follow the same steps until the pc reboots into windows and follow the steps above, raising the cpu voltage very slightly, until you pass the first couple of tests in prime95...and be sure to keep an eye on the temps :)

you should be able to get to 3.0 ghz fairly easily...

once you get it to where you want it, you should run prime 95 for 12 hours or so...all night would be best to be quite sure the system is stable.

also, here is a guide that may help you out...

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=71656

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

hello, welcome to occ...

before going any further, you should have a good third party cpu cooler (heatsink/fan). this is very important when overclocking...if you're using a stock cooler, you should absolutely look into purchasing something good to fit your cpu and needs. if you wanna make a thread about it, you should receive plenty of help finding one and then perhaps get back to this.

also, what ram do you have?

here is something you could do that should keep your system safe and not fry anything, once getting a good cpu cooler...

1) download occt and prime95...

you can get them here...

http://majorgeeks.com/OCCT_d5612.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

(bookmarking that website for any future reference might be a good idea, as it's probably the best place to download free pc programs for enthusiasts)

after installing those programs, you should reboot and go into bios (if you're not familiar with these steps, you should do some reading and atleast get a general idea of them...you may also wanna do some research on your particular motherboard and perhaps locate the motherboard manual for reference).

once in bios, you should find the front side bus setting and raise it very little...as little as possible...save and reboot.

if the pc reboots fine into windows, that's a good thing...it means initially that you're close, but still not necessarily successful on the overclock.

at this point, it would be a good idea to open up occt and get an idea of how to use it and recognize your temperature settings...as long as you keep the temps under 70C load, then you should be fine...however, around 50C is probably a much better rule of thumb just to be on the safe side.

while running occt in the background, you should then open prime95 and begin a torture test (it should be called). running this through the first couple of tests should be sufficient in order to be fairly certain that this small increment overclock is mostly stable (you should plan to do much more thorough stability testing once getting the overclock where you want it).

if the first couple of prime 95 tests pass, then you should be all set to go back into bios and raise the front side bus a little more...

please only use very small increments and not get excited and bump it up too much...this can be very dangerous to a cpu, as when the overclock gets higher you are almost certainly going to need more cpu voltage...

once you raise the front side bus (fsb) again, then just follow the above steps until you get a blue screen...

don't worry, just go into bios and raise the voltage a little bit and follow the same steps until the pc reboots into windows and follow the steps above, raising the cpu voltage very slightly, until you pass the first couple of tests in prime95...and be sure to keep an eye on the temps :)

you should be able to get to 3.0 ghz fairly easily...

once you get it to where you want it, you should run prime 95 for 12 hours or so...all night would be best to be quite sure the system is stable.

also, here is a guide that may help you out...

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=71656

i have readed alot of guides but its for different hardware sets

my ram is kingstone 2 gb 800 mhz and i have to sticks so its 2gb x 2

isnt there a step by step guide for my current hardware

i tried before the cpu at 300 fsb without any voltage change and after prime 95 ran for 15 min i smelled something is bieng toasted so i switched off

nothing burned but since that i am running at default settings and would never change ANYTHING again without a step by step guide

plus does overclocking minimize the life time of my hardware ?

my specs :

ep45-ud3r

core2quad q6600 2.4 g0 with stock heatsink

nividia xfx 9600 gso

wd 120gb ide 5400rpm

lg dvd ide

2gbx2 800mhz

h.e.c 500w psu

i have few questions

1) does overclock minimize my proccessor lifetime ?

2) i want a guide to how to overclock my system to 3.0ghz or even 2.7ghz but with compelete steps to not toast anything !!!!

3) does my ide devices absorb alot of heat and if i changed to sata devices this will reduce the heat inside the case ?

4) my idle temps for the q6600 is 30c-40c , my 9600 gso is idle at 39c , is that normal ?

5) compelete bios settings for best performance ?

i wanna overclock my q6600 and my xfx 9600 gso 768 mb but with the safe side not getting to dangrous

Edited by demander

Major Gamer has told you step by step how to start.

You have also been told that OC'ing with your stock Heat Sink is not a good idea.

You may want to look over what Major Gamer has told you and try it, it's a good place to start.

The GUIDES will also HELP you. They don't have to be for your exact system. You are trying to learn

what the many Bios option are and what they do. Once you are used to the Bios options you can start

changing the settings and have an idea of what you are doing. If none of this or the guides don't help,

you should consider finding someone who will sit at your computer and show you how to do it.

Good Luck

Start off by getting a better heatsink for your processor. Pretty much every quad core at overclocked speeds and full load will hit 70C, the Q6600 is no exception (neither is my 125TDP 9950 at 3.08GHz). Once you get a better headsink you should stand a chance at overclocking the computer much more, because the largest limitation with overclocking has to do with the temperature that it will constantly run at. Also, if you plan on just using one core (even two cores) at a time, then just run two programs that will run that core at 100% (25% in task manager) and see if it stays stable. Other then that, maybe use google to search for overclocks using your stock cooler. I got my timings and everything from TomsHardware (225*13.5 with stock voltages and HS) so that might be a good place to look.

1) wouldn't worry about overclocking minimizing the life of hardware as long as it's done right and stable...gotta keep the temps decent...atleast not higher than 70C for a cpu and the cooler the better...can't emphasize a really good cpu cooler enough in order to make this happen...

if you make a thread with your info and ask for suggestions on a good cpu cooler, you should receive plenty...which should put you right on track.

2) there are probably no step by step guides, but the one posted above should give you a really good general idea. overclocking is not precise, as hardware is different and cpu's are only guaranteed to work at the specified speed/frequency set by the manufacturer...although this is most likely at minimal conditions and with sub-par cooling, etc...cpu's can most likely go between .5 and 1 ghz overclock without any problems...as long as the cooling is good and there is enough voltage to support such an overclock.

3) sata will probably reduce heat, and sata is more efficient...but probably plays very little role in reducing heat. it's the cpu and video card that you should really concentrate on keeping cool. ram may get a little warm too, especially if overclocked (and that ram may need to be bumped up some...1066mhz ram is probably a better place to be when overclocking a quad core, but the 800mhz should be more than sufficient...especially if you can successfully overclock it).

does that ram have heat spreaders? (basically a heatsink for ram...should be a sort of metal casing around the sticks).

4). you should focus on load temps and not idle temps, as they are much more important...as long as you keep the cpu under 70C and the video card under 100C, things should be just fine.

5). again, complete bios settings for best performance is probably not going to happen for you...cpu's are most likely very different, even from q6600 to q6600...some may not overclock at all and some may overclock an extra 1ghz...if you try the small increment thing (with a good cpu cooler), you should be just fine. if you're not comfortable with it, then maybe just find somebody who can help you out on a one on one basis in front of your computer.

this is really not that difficult really, if you take things slow and have patience. the main thing is to just try it, but if you're worried about messing up your hardware, then by all means, your stock settings are probably just fine. everybody around here that knows the questions you're asking has had to learn it from somewhere...and most of us probably from this forum :)

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

1) wouldn't worry about overclocking minimizing the life of hardware as long as it's done right and stable...gotta keep the temps decent...atleast not higher than 70C for a cpu and the cooler the better...can't emphasize a really good cpu cooler enough in order to make this happen...

if you make a thread with your info and ask for suggestions on a good cpu cooler, you should receive plenty...which should put you right on track.

2) there are probably no step by step guides, but the one posted above should give you a really good general idea. overclocking is not precise, as hardware is different and cpu's are only guaranteed to work at the specified speed/frequency set by the manufacturer...although this is most likely at minimal conditions and with sub-par cooling, etc...cpu's can most likely go between .5 and 1 ghz overclock without any problems...as long as the cooling is good and there is enough voltage to support such an overclock.

3) sata will probably reduce heat, and sata is more efficient...but probably plays very little role in reducing heat. it's the cpu and video card that you should really concentrate on keeping cool. ram may get a little warm too, especially if overclocked (and that ram may need to be bumped up some...1066mhz ram is probably a better place to be when overclocking a quad core, but the 800mhz should be more than sufficient...especially if you can successfully overclock it).

does that ram have heat spreaders? (basically a heatsink for ram...should be a sort of metal casing around the sticks).

4). you should focus on load temps and not idle temps, as they are much more important...as long as you keep the cpu under 70C and the video card under 100C, things should be just fine.

5). again, complete bios settings for best performance is probably not going to happen for you...cpu's are most likely very different, even from q6600 to q6600...some may not overclock at all and some may overclock an extra 1ghz...if you try the small increment thing (with a good cpu cooler), you should be just fine. if you're not comfortable with it, then maybe just find somebody who can help you out on a one on one basis in front of your computer.

this is really not that difficult really, if you take things slow and have patience. the main thing is to just try it, but if you're worried about messing up your hardware, then by all means, your stock settings are probably just fine. everybody around here that knows the questions you're asking has had to learn it from somewhere...and most of us probably from this forum :)

thankx alot for the info , for now i plan to keep the factory settings until i collect more data

just have more questions

1) can i overclock my ram to be 1066 mhz without overclocking my processor ? if yes how can i do that

2) i heared that i can also overclock my xfx 9600 gso , the gpu speed and even the memory clock ? how can i do that ?

3) so changing ide drives to either sata or sata 2 drives would boost my system ?

4) i feel that my system is running slow which isnt right , my hardware arent old plus it runs so slow while installing vista 64 and same for xp 32

so what should i do to boost up my overall speed ?

thankx for everyone who help me

Well if your cpu has slown down all of the sudden you more then likely have a problem. But As for ovverclocking your just going to have to get your feet wet when you get a better heatsink. Dont be afraid too. if you step slow like verran and Major gamer mentioned " I stepped from 200 fsb to 210 fsb one at a time for about 6 hours when I first started cause I was nervous" but you can detect a probelm before you run into the wall and burn something up. That is what both prime 95 and occt are disigned for. Just a tester and good ones.

Good luck and god speed B:)