Need better cooling...

GmAz

Ok, I've decided to get into overclocking again and I only have stock cooling on my CPU. Its an e6300 Core2Duo. My motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI with the nForce 650i chipset.

Right now, my system idle's around 45C and load around 60C. I do need to get in there adn clean out the dust that has accumulated since I got the setup a couple years back. I do keep it clean, but its time to clean again.

What heatsink/fan should I get. Its a socket LGA775 and I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. It runs just fine and I don't have any issues with the speed.

I don't want anything loud as my computer is in the living room now and don't want to hear it while I'm watching TV. The front and back are exposed to the surrounding air so its not enclosed. I have case fans that I will be adding soon. Basically, two in the back sucking air in, and one on top sucking air out. Also, I have an NVidia 9800 GT OC video card with stock cooling. It idle's around 62C but I think once i get more case ventilation going, that should be fine.

the only game I really play on the PC is World of Warcraft. The rest I play on consoles.

Oh, what temp program should I trust more. Right now, I have RealTemp 3.00, CPUID Hardware Monitor and CoreTemp. CoreTemp and CPUID have the same temperature, but RealTemp is about 7C higher. If RealTemp is correct, then I'm sitting at around 67C at load. too much for me IMO.

What heatsink/fan should I get. Its a socket LGA775

Thermalright 120 ultra Extreme - With included fan or purchase your own depending on your sound requirements!

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pro...oler_775rt.html

Basically, two in the back sucking air in, and one on top sucking air out.

Optimal air rotation should be:

Intake: Front panel

Outtake: Back Panel (highest point) and/or Top Panel

If you have a side panel fan usually it is best to have that as outtake drawing heat away from the graphic cards. Although this is debatable it works extremely well for me.

How many fans you have is up to you.

I have an NVidia 9800 GT OC video card with stock cooling.

Invest in a Thermalright T-Rad2 with 2x karma kaze slim Scythe fans (tricky to mount). If you get the slim type you can have them running in SLI with no problems!

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pro...oler_trad2.html

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/035/...l12_detail.html

Check out my crossfire setup using the parts i recommended above.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/smak...57/Image015.jpg

Fits like a glove =)

the only game I really play on the PC is World of Warcraft.

Then im assuming your overclocking for the challenge otherwise you do not need to over clock your system its WOW compatible ;)

Oh, what temp program should I trust

Everest Ultimate Edition

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE&...g=en&page=1

67C at load. too much for me IMO.

Get your self some OCZ freeze extreme or Arctic silver 5 (its old but its still decent) heat paste and try to get yourself the thermalright 120 extreme cpu cooler and you will see your temps plummet!

Good luck

Edited by jackbrennan2008

That basically summed it up pretty well. It's a good setup and others will still have personal preferences, but the TRUE is still one of the favorite heatsinks around.

Thanks guys. I'm going to check out the links now. Also, I mistyped. I have an 8800 GT OC video card.

But yes, I'm OCing for the challenge/fun. I want a new setup, but don't want to spend the $$$ so I figure OCing is as close as its going to get for right now.

Again, thanks for the replies!!!

Well, I brought home my electonics vacuum/blower from work (I work in the IT department) and blew out my box. Ya, seriously a ton of dust around the CPU fan/heatsink. Now at idle, it sits around 35C according to CPUID Hardware Monitor, Everest and CoreTemp. Realtemp says 40C. At load, its 48-50C for CPUID, Everest and CoreTemp and ReadTemp says 53-55C. Those are much more respectable numbers for me just from blowing out the dust. I ordered the Thermalright 120 today so it will be here Friday or Saturday hopefully. IF not, next week some time. For now, I'm going to keep playing around with my OC and see if I can get it a little further with this stock cooling.

Thanks again for the replies.

As for the GPU cooler, I'm going to hold off on that. Since I only play WoW, I don't need more power from it.

Quick thanks to jackbrennan2008 for his suggestions. I got my Thermalright 120 ultra extreme and hooked it up. Dropped my temps to 25C idle and about 40C load with prime95 64bit. Now just to get this whole overclocking thing going. I'm up to 2.18Ghz, but its not too stable past that. Its either my motherboard (Asus P5N-E) or my processor. I dont' want to put it past 1.4 volts since I have seen tons of e6300 CPUs go up to 3ghz with 1.4 volts.

Quick thanks to jackbrennan2008 for his suggestions. I got my Thermalright 120 ultra extreme and hooked it up. Dropped my temps to 25C idle and about 40C load with prime95 64bit. Now just to get this whole overclocking thing going. I'm up to 2.18Ghz, but its not too stable past that. Its either my motherboard (Asus P5N-E) or my processor. I dont' want to put it past 1.4 volts since I have seen tons of e6300 CPUs go up to 3ghz with 1.4 volts.

i'm beyond totally satisfied with the sunbeam core contact 120....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835207004

i know this is the rebel choice in this crowd but the dang thing does an awesome job of keeping my machine cool... :thumbs-up: