4 months sober

MINDSCI

I don't know about this...he's drinking ethanol? That stuff is not only used for fuel, it will make you blind. Alcohol addiction and drug abuse and recovery I am very aware of, but....ethanol?? And his Dr. only suggests "tapering off?" I 'm sorry, but I am having a problem believing this. That and he posts his problem on an internet computer forum? and judging by his pc and home theatre specs, he's a highly functional gas drinker. I have heard of people inhaling gas fumes until they pass out, but actually drinking this stuff WILL KILL you quick. But his Dr. doesn't see this as a bit abnormal??

I'm suprised he's still alive, IF...he's telling the truth, which i doubt. I think he's just yanking the forum chain, to be honest. Most substance abusers like alcoholics will drink alcohol that is meant for human consumption...he's talking about ethanol. I seriously doubt the truthfulness of his post. <_>

:bah: good ol' ethyl alcohol (ethanol) is what made jim beam and jd famous and yes they add it to gas too...methyl alcohol i.e. wood alcohol (methanol) will kill ya alot faster...

i guess there is still alot of ignorance in the world regarding alcoholism/substance abuse...!! :lol:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about this...he's drinking ethanol? That stuff is not only used for fuel, it will make you blind.

actually, ethanol is alcohol. and only drinking "pure" ethanol will make you go blind, that's because ethanol can't technically be pure, when you get to about 191 proof, or ~95% alcohol, it forms an azeotrope with methanol, i believe, and the methanol is what'll make you go blind.

I do agree with most the people that posted here, go get some help at a detox facility. they know what to do for you.

-EDIT-

cj got it first.

Edited by Turophiliac

Looks like you need to do a bit more reading there. Ethanol is the type of alcohol that's in alcoholic drinks. This is opposed to methanol, which is the type of alcohol that causes blindness.

Read the link again...it starts by describing ethanol as [Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol]...pure alcohol or grain alcohol will blind you, i have a freind who is legally blind from drinking regular 'ol beer and whiskey for about 20 years. So you tell him what kind of alcohol makes you go blind...know-it alls. People can have alcohol poisoning from regular drinking alcohol you buy at the store. And, he refers to what he drinks as ethanol, not alcohol. Why is that? Most people say they drink alcohol, whether or not they are problem drinkers, alcoholics or just normal drinkers. This is the 1st time i have ever heard of anybody say they drink ethanol.

And yes, i know ethanol is used for drinking regular alcohol, I am not ignorant of this fact, as i DID read the article i linked to, but ethanol is an ingredient of everyday drinking alcohol. He's talking about drinking 100% pure alcohol. Big difference there..seems you guys are the ones who need to do a bit more reading about the subject than i. The guys yanking your chain. He just wants attention for whatever reason. Either that or he's a very, very sick man, and i smell dudu. So we have a guy that is drinking 100% pure alcohol, his Dr. says, "gee, maybe you should taper off." What doctor in his right mind would tell that to a patient drinking 100% ethanol?? Are you really that gullible? And i nead to read more? Huh...

He says he's 4 months sober and is "tapering off...which is it? Either he's still drinking or he's not drinking. Either he is sober or he is NOT sober...he is giving mixed signals here.

Jim Beam is only 67% alcohol. But the proccess that consumer grade alcohol is made under is much different than ethanol. I do not believe this guy has been drinking ethanol for a significant amount of time it takes to become a problem drinker. It will kill you before you have the chance to ask for help, by the time one reaches that point by drinking 100% pure alcohol that is NOT meant for human consumtion.

Oh, and people who are problem drinkers, alcoholics or any substance abuser that is addicted live a lifestyle, a very dark, shady, troubled world of lies and deciept, and by the time they admit they have a problem, (the very long, painful proccess of getting through the wall of denial), they most probably have learned a thing or two about how and where to get help, and they avoid it like the plague until it just hurts bad enough to stop. Then they go into treatment. And they know where to go. They don't post on a computer internet forum for help, that's just an attention getter. I think what we have here is just a lonely, troubled person. I do not sense the desperation a truly addicted person has. I sense bull.

Edited by jaz

So we have a guy that is drinking 100% pure alcohol, his Dr. says, "gee, maybe you should taper off."

firstly he didn't say he was drinking pure ethanol. if i told you i was addicted to nicotine would you assume i was smoking pure nicotine or cigarettes?

secondly, he says he's trying to taper off using his doctors suggested method. he didn't say what that method was, other than implying that it involved a gradual decrease in the amount of drinking he's doing, which sounds like exactly what he should be doing.

thirdly, he made two posts in this thread, then left, probably to get some help. that doesn't sound like attention seeking behaviour to me.

i think at this point we all know you don't believe him, so it's probably best if you stop labouring the point. i'm sure it probably won't make him feel great if he comes back and sees you accusing him of taking us for fools.

Firstly, ethanol is 100% alcohol...[ Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol]

Whatever...either he is not telling his doctor what he told us, or his dr.'s license should be yanked for giving him that advice. Any good dr. or nurse would see he presents a possible danger to himself or others, and he needs to be SENT to a hospital, like a low-level phsyciatric ward for evaluation. I didn't mean for my post to "take you for fools". However, i clearly see i have more experience in this subject than all who responded. There is concept and therre is experience. What i have been reading in reaction to his post came more from concept than real world experience.

The responses came from people who have not lived what he claims he is going through. There are too many "holes" in his short outbursts, and i think he is offline, either drinking or laughing at the reactions he got. I doubt he went to any hospital. If he really has a problem, he has by now learned how and where to really get help, not just screw around. He's either lying, or just not ready to stop. If he really has a big problem and he wants help, he knows he can't get it from a computer forum. That's where i called you guys a bit gullible, not fools. Somebody posting for help for a substance abuse problem on a computer forum is not "attention seeking behavior?' You are naive. I didn't accuse anybody of being a fool, but in your case, "psycho_terror", i might be willing to make an exception if you continue to put words in my mouth.

Firstly, ethanol is 100% alcohol...[ Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol]

Whatever...either he is not telling his doctor what he told us, or his dr.'s license should be yanked for giving him that advice. Any good dr. or nurse would see he presents a possible danger to himself or others, and he needs to be SENT to a hospital, like a low-level phsyciatric ward for evaluation. I didn't mean for my post to "take you for fools". However, i clearly see i have more experience in this subject than all who responded. There is concept and therre is experience. What i have been reading in reaction to his post came more from concept than real world experience.

The responses came from people who have not lived what he claims he is going through. There are too many "holes" in his short outbursts, and i think he is offline, either drinking or laughing at the reactions he got. I doubt he went to any hospital. If he really has a problem, he has by now learned how and where to really get help, not just screw around. He's either lying, or just not ready to stop. If he really has a big problem and he wants help, he knows he can't get it from a computer forum. That's where i called you guys a bit gullible, not fools. Somebody posting for help for a substance abuse problem on a computer forum is not "attention seeking behavior?' You are naive. I didn't accuse anybody of being a fool, but in your case, "psycho_terror", i might be willing to make an exception if you continue to put words in my mouth.

:blink:

absolutely unbelievable. i would make a proper response, but i just don't know where to start. i recommend you re-read my previous post until you actually understand it.

Most substance abusers like alcoholics will drink alcohol that is meant for human consumption...he's talking about ethanol. I seriously doubt the truthfulness of his post. <_<

I'm pretty sure ethanol is the type of alcohol in alcoholic drinks... like, all of them...

jaz, I didn't actually look at your link at first. I went and did my own research and came across a Wikipedia page... I read that to double check my understanding. I learned in AP Chemistry last year that ethanol is grain alcohol is spirits... Ethanol cannot be distilled to 100% ethanol. It can only be taken to roughly 95% or 191 proof as someone mentioned earlier. Byproducts begin forming past that point. Those byproducts are methanol which is dangerous. Once I read the site I was looking at to make sure I knew what I was going to talk about, I looked at your link... And what do you know, it's the same site, but you obviously can't read!

I quote:

"Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a psychoactive drug, best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages and in modern thermometers.

Ethanol is one of the oldest recreational drugs known to man. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol or spirits.The fermentation of sugar into ethanol is one of the earliest organic reactions employed by humanity. The intoxicating effects of ethanol consumption have been known since ancient times. In modern times, ethanol intended for industrial use is also produced from by-products of petroleum refining.

Ethanol has widespread use as a solvent of substances intended for human contact or consumption, including scents, flavorings, colorings, and medicines. In chemistry, it is both an essential solvent and a feedstock for the synthesis of other products. It has a long history as a fuel for heat and light and also as a fuel for internal combustion engines."

Apparently you didn't read anything other than the first line which you posted multiple times. You should also read this page on neutral grain spirits. Also, read the page on azeotropes.

I took this quote from the page on azeotropes: "A well known example of a positive azeotrope is 95.6% ethanol and 4.4% water (by weight). Ethanol boils at 78.4

Read the link again...it starts by describing ethanol as [Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol]...pure alcohol or grain alcohol will blind you, i have a freind who is legally blind from drinking regular 'ol beer and whiskey for about 20 years. So you tell him what kind of alcohol makes you go blind...know-it alls. People can have alcohol poisoning from regular drinking alcohol you buy at the store. And, he refers to what he drinks as ethanol, not alcohol. Why is that? Most people say they drink alcohol, whether or not they are problem drinkers, alcoholics or just normal drinkers. This is the 1st time i have ever heard of anybody say they drink ethanol.

And yes, i know ethanol is used for drinking regular alcohol, I am not ignorant of this fact, as i DID read the article i linked to, but ethanol is an ingredient of everyday drinking alcohol. He's talking about drinking 100% pure alcohol. Big difference there..seems you guys are the ones who need to do a bit more reading about the subject than i. The guys yanking your chain. He just wants attention for whatever reason. Either that or he's a very, very sick man, and i smell dudu. So we have a guy that is drinking 100% pure alcohol, his Dr. says, "gee, maybe you should taper off." What doctor in his right mind would tell that to a patient drinking 100% ethanol?? Are you really that gullible? And i nead to read more? Huh...

He says he's 4 months sober and is "tapering off...which is it? Either he's still drinking or he's not drinking. Either he is sober or he is NOT sober...he is giving mixed signals here.

Jim Beam is only 67% alcohol. But the proccess that consumer grade alcohol is made under is much different than ethanol. I do not believe this guy has been drinking ethanol for a significant amount of time it takes to become a problem drinker. It will kill you before you have the chance to ask for help, by the time one reaches that point by drinking 100% pure alcohol that is NOT meant for human consumtion.

Oh, and people who are problem drinkers, alcoholics or any substance abuser that is addicted live a lifestyle, a very dark, shady, troubled world of lies and deciept, and by the time they admit they have a problem, (the very long, painful proccess of getting through the wall of denial), they most probably have learned a thing or two about how and where to get help, and they avoid it like the plague until it just hurts bad enough to stop. Then they go into treatment. And they know where to go. They don't post on a computer internet forum for help, that's just an attention getter. I think what we have here is just a lonely, troubled person. I do not sense the desperation a truly addicted person has. I sense bull.

I think you might be insane. Insane and completely off base.