Opinions On A 240sx

airman

I've been wanting to get into the 240sx scene for a while. The S13s are in my budget, have lots of potential, and look pretty good with no modifications. That being said, I've been searching in my local area for a 240sx within my price range. The first one I checked out was very clean and well maintained, it was a '93 with 60k miles on the motor and about 160k miles on the rest. He wanted $4,000 for it, which was too much for me to cover with the cash I have on me so I was unable to get that one.

So, tomorrow I'm going to check out another '93 with 180k miles. It's completely stock, good maintenance records. However, it has some body damage to the rear. Unfortunately it's creased, so I'm pretty sure it's going to need a replacement panel (and maybe two). I'm no body guy, so I'm really not familiar as to costs. My guess for something like this would be about $700 or so, but here's a picture:

Picture015.jpg

He has told me there is similar damage to both sides.

So, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on it are. As far as price, he's asking $2500 on a local classifieds listing. I spoke with him on the phone, and he might take $1500 for it. He says it's pretty much sat for about 8 months, as he has a daily driver but he makes sure to drive it once or twice a month.

Is $1500 for something in that condition a reasonable deal? The 240sx's in the area are generally quite a bit above KBB due to the rarity of the car and it's demand. (damn those fast and the furious movies) All opinions are welcome, and sorry for a longer post.

Here are all the pictures he's sent me:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/airman8685/240sx/

Edited by airman

Be sure you crawl under the car and check it out, many 240s that look great on the outside end up with a frame and everything else under the car rusted all to hell. If you plan on doing ANY work to the car you'll be more than happy you looked. That was the problem a friend of mine ran into all the time looking for a car.

Also just so raiderfan001 has a clue next time: in CA the 240sx is common, over here on the east coast they are semi rare and finding one in good condition IS rare.

Theres 3 on ebay within 200 miles of Greenville, SC link

Theres 2 within 200 miles Marysville, CA link

If you're gonna say I don't have a clue at least back it up. Most 240's you find will have owners thinking they're worth more than they really are and probably been half assed modified and abused. If you want one thats not been abused or overpriced then wait until you find someone thats been using it as a commuter car and not some Too Fast Too Furious wannabe.

Theres 3 on ebay within 200 miles of Greenville, SC link

Theres 2 within 200 miles Marysville, CA link

If you're gonna say I don't have a clue at least back it up. Most 240's you find will have owners thinking they're worth more than they really are and probably been half assed modified and abused. If you want one thats not been abused or overpriced then wait until you find someone thats been using it as a commuter car and not some Too Fast Too Furious wannabe.

did you not think i would have checked ebay already? anyways, read my OP. you'll see that the ones for 7 and 8 grand are out of my budget. in the first paragraph, the one i checked out for $4,000 was TOO MUCH. Im a 19 year old paying my way through college. i have an excellent credit rating but i'm not going to buy something with money that i don't have. although it would be nice to have an sr20det already done and working, that's not my thing. plus, i could throw together that they did for less than what they're asking. i can get an sr20det with a transmission for $1300. anyways, i ALWAYS buy stock. the one in the middle is not stock and isn't even painted. plus, i don't consider having to drive over 100 miles "local".

i know my way around cars well and know what's bad, so I know what to look for. i'll probably even bring my compression tester to check what kind of pressure the cylinders hold and see if there's a big variance with one or just not enough to begin with. within the next few months though, I'll probably end up throwing new bearings, rings, and hone it then re-break it in.

link fixed by the way. put the "..." in the hyperlink from where i copied it from another forum.

Edited by airman

That was in response to cchalogamer about calling me clueless. I've lived in many other places besides Cali and know that no matter where you are there are plenty of 240's to be found. Theres crappy ones and nice ones everywhere. It may just take you time to find one thats not overpriced and been butchered.