Should I Go 4 Gig Or 6 Gig Of Ram With Vista 64?

Hello All! :D

OC Newbie here!

I have my new rig up and running finally with the system that's in my signature. Bios update to 1202 and raid 0 done with Vista 64 installed. I used 2 sticks of Corsair ddr3 XMS1600 (4 gig) of ram on the first channel with timings at 7-7-7-7-7-20? I then added 2 sticks of Corsair dominator ddr 3 1800 (2 gig) on channel 2 but the timings got loose at Primary: 8-9-9-25-5-74-10-5 Secondary: 9-5-5-4-7-4-7. Question is: Should I stick with just the first 4 gig of ram to get better performance? I did notice a decrease in CPU usage and of course a lot more headroom on ram usage.

Anybody have an opinion or tips to make this better? I have everything on auto right now and I would like to use all the ram unless it will cost me a performance hit when I play COD WAW and such. Also, I've read that a voltage increase may be needed when running 4 sticks. What voltage should I try?

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

If you are stable use all of the RAM. If you are trying to get stable or clocking I would just use the 2x2GB set.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND THE ADVICE KINGFISHER!I figured that was probably the thing to do for overclocking. Have a good one!

I'd keep 6gb unless it's proven to limit your overclock. (BTW you have the weirdest computer ever)

Thanks for the suggestion. I would like to use all of it since I have so much money in it. it's running rock solid right now with all 6 gig and I haven't started to tweek it yet.

Just out of curiosity... why do you think my computer is the weirdest ever? :blink:

Thanks for the suggestion. I would like to use all of it since I have so much money in it. it's running rock solid right now with all 6 gig and I haven't started to tweek it yet.

Just out of curiosity... why do you think my computer is the weirdest ever? :blink:

He's probably referring to your abnormal RAM setup, which I'm guessing is do to having an extra 2GB set lying around and wanting to put it to use. I see nothing else that would strike me as odd.

He's probably referring to your abnormal RAM setup, which I'm guessing is do to having an extra 2GB set lying around and wanting to put it to use. I see nothing else that would strike me as odd.

No I'm confused as to why you have the low cache Q9400 but are running DDR3, what are you smoking good sir! You should got a higher cache Q9450/Q9550 and DDR2 ;)

the money saved from not getting the DDR3 could have yielded you a better processor :P

oh well atleast the ddr3 can be used when he upgrades to i7

ya but then his poor penryn system will be without memory (assuming he'd transfer all 6 gigs over)

plus there might be better DDR3 that comes out by the time he moves up 1366

I consider everything :D

Thanks Nuclear. I bought the 2 x 1 gig sticks @380.00 when the ram first came out for the Asus Maximus Extreme ddr3. I thought I would be running XP 32 bit but decided to jump into Vista 64 with both feet and had read that 4 gig was better for gaming so I bought 2 x 2 gig sticks of 1600 xms. Over a few months,I couldn't sell the 1800 Dominator ram even though I went down in price to $260.00 on Ebay so I thought I would try adding it to my other ram for a total of 6 gig which I am using now. I wasn't going to give the ram away! I was just playing COD WAW on it with all default settings without a hitch! My timings got looser but hey, the end result is smooth game play that looks good on my 22" Samsung @1680 x 1050 res. and I was able to use the ram. I haven't even begun to play with any OCing yet. As usual, I'm learning by doing the hard way!

I bought the processor back when it first hit New Egg at the $200.00+ price so I bought it. I7 proc. next time with 3 channel board with the bugs worked out. I always have 2 computers. One for business and one for play. My gallery pix show the old one which is a 3.06 P4 with 2 gig Mushkin ram and an MSI 865PE Neo2 MB, ATI 9800 All in Wonder, 320 gig WD HDD, 2 Lite on DVD burners, Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum, Lian Li case that has served me well for 6 or 7 years and runs as fast or faster than a lot of the new computers I've seen but it's getting long in the tooth now.

I was in the hospital a lot this year. I only worked 5 months out of twelve and am permanently disabled now. That's why my new one took so long to build. I bought all the parts before I went in the hospital. I'm happy with it even though technology has marched on as it always does. I like doing the mods for the artistic side of me and with this one I can learn some things about overclocking.

Thank you for your kind defense. :)

Sorry to ramble so much.

No I'm confused as to why you have the low cache Q9400 but are running DDR3, what are you smoking good sir! You should got a higher cache Q9450/Q9550 and DDR2 ;)

the money saved from not getting the DDR3 could have yielded you a better processor :P

I agree. See my reply to Nuclear as to why. As far as smoking...maybe I need to start! :blink: