Overclocking Troubles

cali101

You know what, I think there may be something deeper to this. I have noticed that on my board as well, one overclock limits the other. I cannot overclock my 9800GTX+ at all when I have my CPU overclocked, and the CPU OC fails when I ramp up my gfx OC. Its very strange. What kind of motherboard do you have?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know what, I think there may be something deeper to this. I have noticed that on my board as well, one overclock limits the other. I cannot overclock my 9800GTX+ at all when I have my CPU overclocked, and the CPU OC fails when I ramp up my gfx OC. Its very strange. What kind of motherboard do you have?

An ASRock Conroe 1333DVI/H

Also, what PSU did you get?

and it's a:- CIT 600UB

I'm an american, so please understand when I say "$", I mean pounds.

now, it's possible that I'm wrong here, but that CIT PSU e-tails for $25. it's seeming to me that you replaced one cheap, crappy PSU with another.

when Paul pointed you to the OCC Recommended PSU List, he did it because he knows that those PSUs are known to be high quality. any company can slap together a 500w unit w/two 15+ amp rails, but that doesnt mean that there's any quality to it.

spend the extra $ on a good unit. it will provide your system with cleaner, more stable power and give you peace of mind at the same time.

@ Paul - you linked to the Corsair review twice in your post. :lol:

I'm an american, so please understand when I say "$", I mean pounds.

now, it's possible that I'm wrong here, but that CIT PSU e-tails for $25. it's seeming to me that you replaced one cheap, crappy PSU with another.

when Paul pointed you to the OCC Recommended PSU List, he did it because he knows that those PSUs are known to be high quality. any company can slap together a 500w unit w/two 15+ amp rails, but that doesnt mean that there's any quality to it.

spend the extra $ on a good unit. it will provide your system with cleaner, more stable power and give you peace of mind at the same time.

@ Paul - you linked to the Corsair review twice in your post. :lol:

:withstupid: You have replaced one power supply of questionable quality with another!

...and let's be honest your motherboard isn't going to be the best overclocker. ;)

@ razor - Link corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

You have replaced one power supply of questionable quality with another!

...and let's be honest your motherboard isn't going to be the best overclocker. ;)

Yes, the OP has a budget build (CPU,MB,PSU) and the lower quality PSU may be the

one and only problem, BUT, if he posts the pics of his Bios settings there may be something

obviously wrong that's not allowing him to get back to where he was.

Just an idea, could be totally wrong.

Yes, the OP has a budget build (CPU,MB,PSU) and the lower quality PSU may be the

one and only problem, BUT, if he posts the pics of his Bios settings there may be something

obviously wrong that's not allowing him to get back to where he was.

Just an idea, could be totally wrong.

you're right - posting shots of his OC settings from the BIOS may be of some use. it was a good idea, and I dont think anyone meant otherwise. :)

still, it's essential that OP understands how important it is to have a good quality PSU. I learned this lesson the hard way on my very first build - my system was always unstable even at stock settings, and BSODs and random reboots were the norm. thankfully that POS PSU didnt fry any of my gear, but it very well could have.

@ cali - buy a good PSU from the recommended list that we linked you, and if you're still having problems please post your BIOS pics/settings. also, did you make sure that you turned off the integrated Intel graphics accelerator that came as part of your motherboard?

• 4 weeks later...

hpim0892.th.jpg

hpim0894s.th.jpg

hpim0896s.th.jpg

hpim0898.th.jpg

These are the pictures of the bios when my graphics card was installed

The only difference now is that the primary graphics is set to "onboard" instead of PCI Express...