E8400 Trying For 4.05 Ghz

elysium

hi trying to go for 4.05 ghz OC on an e8400.

i achieved 3.6 ghz with relative ease. occt was stable for 2 hrs and orthos was stable for 12.

now i'm trying to go for 4.05 ghz [ 450 x 9.0x ] and i've run into a problem. i ran occt stable for 2 hrs.. then i tried to do orthos test overnight and it would freeze my computer after about 30-45 minutes.

the temperatures are fine. 39 degrees celcius on idle and 65 deg on max load is the highest it goes. so i don't think it's a heating issue.

i'm wondering what i have to do to make it stable on orthos. or should i just not bother b/c it's stable on occt.

specs are:

cpu - e8400 @ 1.34375v

ram - ocz reaper 1066 @ 2.1v [ 5-5-5-18 stock timings ]

OS - vista x64 ultimate

is occt even reliable enough to just let this go and use my rig as is? i sorta like relying on a longer test than 2 hrs to assure myself that it's completely stable. i've had no problems with it thus far, no crashes of any kind, even while gaming.

hi trying to go for 4.05 ghz OC on an e8400.

i achieved 3.6 ghz with relative ease. occt was stable for 2 hrs and orthos was stable for 12.

now i'm trying to go for 4.05 ghz [ 450 x 9.0x ] and i've run into a problem. i ran occt stable for 2 hrs.. then i tried to do orthos test overnight and it would freeze my computer after about 30-45 minutes.

the temperatures are fine. 39 degrees celcius on idle and 65 deg on max load is the highest it goes. so i don't think it's a heating issue.

i'm wondering what i have to do to make it stable on orthos. or should i just not bother b/c it's stable on occt.

specs are:

cpu - e8400 @ 1.34375v

ram - ocz reaper 1066 @ 2.1v [ 5-5-5-18 stock timings ]

OS - vista x64 ultimate

is occt even reliable enough to just let this go and use my rig as is? i sorta like relying on a longer test than 2 hrs to assure myself that it's completely stable. i've had no problems with it thus far, no crashes of any kind, even while gaming.

are you running 1.34375 for the 4.0ghz or 3.6ghz. You have plenty of headroom also to increase your voltage (which should increase your temps a bit with each step)

Yea, you can give it more juice to be more stable unless you lower your fsb and settle for a lower clock. Either way if you can't make it 24 hours orthos stable it wouldn't be considered stable in my book. You can use intel burn test to check stability as well. It can help save time while testing. Good luck.

Make sure you test it after a shut down and without power overnight, then boot it up and test, as i have been stable when i have doen the ocing that day, but the next day my pc wouldn't even pass boot.

using evga nvidia sli 750i ftw

i think my northbridge voltage is at 1.40v

and my other voltage is at 1.15v [ i forgot what this one is called ]

the voltage @ 1.3375 is at 4.0 ghz

i might try giving it more juice..

i'm @ 450 x 9 for 4050 mhz atm. vcore is 1.320 on full load. however my temperatures are peaking @ 74 degrees celcius while hovering around 68 degrees most of the time. is this ok? or should i be worried about the temperatures.

and my other voltage is at 1.15v [ i forgot what this one is called ]

You should find this out and tell us, might be limiting your overclock might not. It's worth a try.

What cooler do you have?

You should find this out and tell us, might be limiting your overclock might not. It's worth a try.

What cooler do you have?

You might just want to create a nifty signature so you don't every have to post your rig again.

;)