Looking For A $500 Range Laptop

I have my teeth sinked in this HP G60-230US NoteBook for $450 after $50 MIR. Once it gets in stock again.

Usage: Online assignments (homework/quizes), some programming, web browsing, and music/movies. Being able to play games aren't a must since my college disables all online games from the network. Which where it will be used the most. $500 or less range.

Does any1 have any other laptops they would recommend vs this one?

Is it OK to recommend a netbook? I seriously love my Eee 1000H. It's very capable and well below your price limit. Plus I think the new 1000HE is on the way with a slightly upgraded processor. I would think in your situation the ultra-portability would be a major plus. Plus it's much better on batteries than larger laptops so it could last you pretty much a whole day.

Anyways, I know some people want a bigger machine than a netbook, and I totally understand that, but I know a lot of people including myself are really enjoying them.

Does the Asus Eee PC have enough power to multitask? Ie. run web browser, music, and microsoft visual?

I don't use visual studio, so I couldn't say. I'd think it might load a little slowly but once it's up I wouldn't think there'd be any trouble. For that, I'd be most concerned about the 1GB of RAM, but they'll take a 2GB swap which only cost me like $30 I think.

I've played Warcraft III on mine with surprisingly good framerates (albeit at the relatively low resolution of my 10" screen) so I'd say the 1.6Ghz Atom is pretty capable. Again, I'd understand your desire to go for something bigger with a dual-core option, but you may want to get to a local B&M store and see if you can give some netbooks a try first :)

Tested out two versions of the Asus EeePC. Typing was awkward, but with regular use I would get used to it. The both seem to run a little slow, not sure if its cause of the demo software they had running or not. But mouse movement would studder. It would sometimes count my scrolls across the pad as double clicks, even though I never lifted my finger.

Does your Asus Eee PC have these issues? Or was it just the demo mode they had it in.

We had the same laptop here at Circuit City and it was one of the most popular for awhile. No real complaints really.

Don't know if it's a big deal for you, but it does have a full size number pad due to it's wide screen... you really only see those on the 17 inchers. Overall design is good and inline with the midrange HP laptop. Beautiful widescreen makes it long and not as bulky as the standard 15.4. It does have an HDMI port. Although I'm a wee bit mad that this model didn't come with a remote like the other slightly more expensive HPers.

But most importantly... It comes with a 320gb HDD... in that price range, 250gb seems standard :blink: I've seen very few come back (unlike some other HP models cough cough TX1xxx/2xxx)... So it seems to be a very well rounded laptop.

Does your Asus Eee PC have these issues? Or was it just the demo mode they had it in.

My 1000H has the best trackpad I've used on any laptop, ever... it's perfectly responsive, and the multi-touch works fantastically too...

I have MS Visual Studio on mine, and have it connected to a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, keyboard and mouse at home, to use it like a regular PC (have used it as my main PC since I got it last year in... October?), and enjoy having a small laptop when travelling, as it's much easier to carry around :)

The thing that kinda annoys me sometimes is the resolution of 1024x600, but it's pretty rare that this is an issue when I'm out of the house

I have MS Visual Studio on mine, and have it connected to a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, keyboard and mouse at home, to use it like a regular PC (have used it as my main PC since I got it last year in... October?), and enjoy having a small laptop when travelling, as it's much easier to carry around :)

:withstupid: Same here, my Wind is my main PC.

I remember having done a bit of Visual Basic not so long after I got my Wind, in august. It handled it without any issue. However, as Verran said, some programs are a bit long to start but once it's done, they are fine. :) Photoshop takes quite a bit more time to load. Works perfectly on the 24" external screen though. :)

And since last week, I began leaving my Wind turned ON 24/7 for folding. The atom produces on average 200PPD, running 2 uniprocessor windows clients. (It's too slow to complete SMP WU's :( ) I'm even bringing it to college and in a few classes I plug it to be able to leave it always ON. At noon time I even leave it ON in my locker lol. I love it... :wub:

However when netbooks making use of the Ion platform will be out, I'm pretty sure I'll change my Wind for one of those. Folding on the GeForce 9400 chipset will be awesome. :) For now ASUS makes one using the 9300M GS. It's called the N10, but it is really expensive...

Edited by The Smith