Fan Choice For Wc Rad

Matthew

So, im gettin all the parts ready for my new water cooling build.

Have my old MCP600 pump, and im adding a Swiftech Apogee GTZ and a MCP-320-QP radiator. I really want to focus on silence for this build, so the fan choice for the rad is important. Im debating over going with a nice quiet fan like the 120x25mm Scythe SLIP STREAM or the S-Flex or something a bit thinker like the Ultra Kaze which is 120x38mm

Essentially, what im asking is, do 120x25mm fans have enough static pressure and airflow to give me decent cooling at low noise, or should i go with a 120x38mm fan that has a higher static pressure and buy a low rpm model/undervolt it to get the silence i need

I have heard the Yate loons are a good compromise between noise and airflow. I am using 3 120x38mm Scythe KAZE (2000RPM) fans that are run at about 1500RPM and do an excellent ob of keeping my 965 down in the mid 40's when it is running at stock speeds.

I have 4 of the Scythe S-Flew 63.7 CFM fans in my rig right now. I can't even hear them over my 4870 at 40%. The Scythe's are almost inaudible. I've also heard the Slipstreams are pretty quite and move lots of air.

Definitely go with 38mm thick fans... 25s will be too noisy, or barely move any air through the radiator fins

yea, thats what i was thinking...a 38mm fan a low rpm would make less noise and push more air through a rad then a 25mm......however, the place i plan on buyin most of my stuff from (canadacomputers.com) only has the Sythe Ultra Kaze fans, all others are 25mm, and from stuff ive read at SPCR (silent pc review) the Kaze fans make some motor noise when run at lower rpm. My goal for this pc is silent cooling..i will be overclocking my processor, but its going to be an C2D E8400, so its not going to be a massive heat source, even at 4ghz, which is my target speed.

So other i order some 38mm fans off the net and pay more cuz of the currency conversion (im in canada) and shipping, or go with the sythe slipstream 25mm fans (or the like)

I know 25mm fans will work, but basically will they push enough air, quietly enough, to cool my 4ghz E8400 and keep my computer nice and quiet?

If you want silence, get the Slipstreams. I have the S-Flexes that push 63.7 CFM and they're really quiet. The Slipstreams move more air for less dB. Your E8400 won't make much heat and you may even be able to cool it with a completely passive radiator. If your loop is just the CPU, then I'd say first try it with no fans, just some open space around it. If that gets to warm, then get the slipstreams.

I'm not running a WC setup but I thought I would chime in anyway.

I just finished my HTPC case mod with 3 of these fans only I got the 80mm versions and they move an incredible ammount of air if you look at the stats at a very low volume and have an excellent warranty/lifespan.

CFM=47.39

DBA=17

Edited by krazypoloc

So other i order some 38mm fans off the net and pay more cuz of the currency conversion (im in canada) and shipping, or go with the sythe slipstream 25mm fans (or the like)

MemoryExpress.com is a pretty decent Canadian retailer

they have the Panaflo M1A fans in stock (my personal favourite 120mm fan) for only $10: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX8355(ME).aspx

I paid a lot more for mine lol, more like $25 CAD each :lol: but that's just a UK thing... was kinda annoying paying that much seeing as I have 6 in my main rig, along with 5 other Panaflo fans... so yeah $10 CAD is a major bargain imo