What To Build?

I capped out at 3.76 at 1.5V. I'm not pushing it further till I get a better cooler. I ran it stable at 3.6 GHz w/ 1.44V for a week, but the temps were higher than I liked so I just dropped it back till I can get a better cooler.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I capped out at 3.76 at 1.5V. I'm not pushing it further till I get a better cooler. I ran it stable at 3.6 GHz w/ 1.44V for a week, but the temps were higher than I liked so I just dropped it back till I can get a better cooler.

hmm I wonder what kind of joy my TRUE paired with your CPU could bring. I can run near passive with my quad as it is now and only reaches 60-61C (gaming or folding) maybe like 66-68 if I'm running prime95. That's with the fans on low low low, any lower and they turn off lol.

I was hitting 62C full stressing with prime at 1.44V. That's with a Zalman 9500A, and my AS5 not fully set up, in a room at about 80F at the time. I'll let you know what I get in a cooler room with a Xigmatek s1283 in a week or so.

I was hitting 62C full stressing with prime at 1.44V. That's with a Zalman 9500A, and my AS5 not fully set up, in a room at about 80F at the time. I'll let you know what I get in a cooler room with a Xigmatek s1283 in a week or so.

62C isn't too bad I wouldn't worry unless it got higher than 70 degrees. That Xigmatek should help out alot if you insist in not pushing it any higher due to heat. I'm interested to see what it can max out at since the Xigmatek and my cooler are roughly even.

Yeah, I know 62C is fine... but I still don't like it. Like I said earlier, these chips love the cold. If you keep them cool, they will clock very, very high. Going over 55C seems to increase instability in them (This is not just personal experience, but also from some reading on XtremeSystems). So, I'd like to keep it low.

I thought about getting a TRUE, but I could not justify the $30 (at least) increase in cost for a few degrees celcius.

Yeah, I know 62C is fine... but I still don't like it. Like I said earlier, these chips love the cold. If you keep them cool, they will clock very, very high. Going over 55C seems to increase instability in them (This is not just personal experience, but also from some reading on XtremeSystems). So, I'd like to keep it low.

I thought about getting a TRUE, but I could not justify the $30 (at least) increase in cost for a few degrees celcius.

don't worry you made a good choice in the cooler. That's the one thing I want to know about the Phenom II's, it'd be a HUGE turn off if they ran unstable from only being in the 60 degree range. Though you say you are not experiencing any problems, when you capped out at 3.7 what were your temperatures? were you able to pass stress test or was that just stable enough to boot to windows?

3.76 was my best boot. I couldn't seem to get it stable at that, but I think for me it's motherboard limitations.

However, these chips run a lot cooler than Intels. I mean, I was hitting 62C under max load with a less-than-perfect cooler (shoulda done more research before buying!) at a 600 mhz overclock.

I couldn't get stable past 3.6 GHz. I think it's a combination of temp and motherboard limitations.

3.76 was my best boot. I couldn't seem to get it stable at that, but I think for me it's motherboard limitations.

However, these chips run a lot cooler than Intels. I mean, I was hitting 62C under max load with a less-than-perfect cooler (shoulda done more research before buying!) at a 600 mhz overclock.

I couldn't get stable past 3.6 GHz. I think it's a combination of temp and motherboard limitations.

I guess we won't know until your Xigmatek arrives :P

Yep, sadly not. I've got a decent batch too, 0849GPAW. The BIOS for my motherboard hasn't been fully updated for Phenom II support yet, so once that's up and I have a new cooler,I'll see what I can do with this chip.

AMD or Intel?

Read reviews like the ones I've listed and more, and then decide. If the AMD processors perform better with apps that you know you're going to use then get AMD. If Intel performs better get Intel. Same thing goes for graphics cards and every other component you ever consider buying :)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenomii940/

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-i...40-review-test/

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php...7&Itemid=27

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-940,2114.html

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3492

I guess none of you read the links I posted? It depends on the game/software but Phenom II 940 is an awesome choice and will hang with most high-end Core 2 Quads in almost every situation. Sometimes out-performing it, sometimes not. Look up your favorite games in the links and see how it did and then make your choice.

I guess none of you read the links I posted? It depends on the game/software but Phenom II 940 is an awesome choice and will hang with most high-end Core 2 Quads in almost every situation. Sometimes out-performing it, sometimes not. Look up your favorite games in the links and see how it did and then make your choice.

it's not that I didn't read them, I just want to know what the max clock that a decent OC'r on air can accomplish. Since clock for clock the Phenom II doesn't quite beat the core 2 quads

Yep, sadly not. I've got a decent batch too, 0849GPAW. The BIOS for my motherboard hasn't been fully updated for Phenom II support yet, so once that's up and I have a new cooler,I'll see what I can do with this chip.

Definately post it b/c i can't wait to see it.