Memtest86

cjloki

basically i'm just doing some diagnostics and ran memtest86 for the first time as part of a check-out routine....the last time i looked it was on pass 72 so does it ever finish...???....will i know when it's finished or do i just shut it off....

and if someone knows how memtest86 differs from windows memory testing on my startup disk i'd like to know....thanx....cj

:withstupid: Those are running pretty quick...which computer is this?

If you're just running all the tests - and it's working properly, turn the monitor off and come back in a while (another hour, perhaps).

I used to recommend doing tests #5 and #8, but I think that's kinda outdated nowadays (it used to catch errors faster / more often than all the tests - maybe Athlons only?)

Generally a single pass is sufficient to catch all but the most obscure errors. However, for complete confidence when intermittent errors are suspected testing for a longer period is advised.

What can you say, I'm a stability nut. :)

If you're just running all the tests - and it's working properly, turn the monitor off and come back in a while (another hour, perhaps).

I used to recommend doing tests #5 and #8, but I think that's kinda outdated nowadays (it used to catch errors faster / more often than all the tests - maybe Athlons only?)

I'd say Nate thats still the prefered way...letting it run at default will run about 100 passes in 30 minutes...

I still do #5 and #8...

for overclocking and finding my max I will run 6 passes of #5 and once I reach my goal I will let it run 1-4 hours...

from there I tune with Orthos so I can finish off the clock testing in windows to make sure it's fully stable...

I have had Memtest say the ram is fine but Orthos error and it's been the ram...especially for Brisbane AM2 CPUs :)

i was runnin it on the gamer but i stopped it at 111 passes...

well right on and thanx guys.....!!