This Is My First Post (specs. Question)

heatsink007

what do u mean by DEPENDS???

I mean it depends on everything in your rig :lol:

every bit of hardware is given a part of the physical memory address space for inter-device communication. So if you have 4gb of ram and your only seeing say 3.25 750mb of memory is being used for inter device communication. The reason you can use only say 2gb of ram and actually see 2gb of ram is because a 32bit processor has 2(to the 32 power memory addresses{sorry have no idea how to show powers on a keyboard}) this gives 4GB of physical memory addresses. Normally the inter-device communication is uses xxx bytes from the address above. If you have only 2GB of ram then the remaining 2gb of physical addresses are still free to be used instead of your RAM.

I've never actually had to explain that so I may have done a horrible job but feel free to ask more questions :D

any 32 bit os will not make use of more than 3 gb of ram (its due to an addressing issue, look it up on wikipedia) while some may show more than 3gb(vista 32) they do not make use of it.

Oh and welcome to occ. :)

Edited by Paradax

any 32 bit os will not make use of more than 3 gb of ram (its due to an addressing issue, look it up on wikipedia) while some may show more than 3gb(vista 32) they do not make use of it.

Oh and welcome to occ. :)

thnx for the comment.

I'm about installing vista 32b, so I'll have both xp and vista together and the big question is : is my HD3870 512MB GDDR4 able to run Directx 10.or I'll get poor gaming quality?????

thnx for the comment.

I'm about installing vista 32b, so I'll have both xp and vista together and the big question is : is my HD3870 512MB GDDR4 able to run Directx 10.or I'll get poor gaming quality?????

Yes

Ummm.... no

The inter-device communication only uses as much as it needs so if your OS is showing more then 3gb like 3.2gb then you can make use of 3.2gb. I think what you mean is Microsoft released a service pack that changes the way memory is shown. So in your OS you can actually see that you've installed 4gb but you still wont be using all 4.