Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 Or Trend Micro Internet Security Pro

maj0rgamer

hello folks...

my norton internet security 2008 year is just about over and it's time to order a new internet security suite. i was going to purchase norton 360 as i've been very satisfied with norton internet security 2008, but the reviews on norton 360 are pretty bad...now i know why it's so cheap compared to norton internet security 2009.

in the process of checking norton 360 reviews i went ahead and checked reviews for norton internet security 2009 as i was and still am on the search for a new internet suite, and have noticed some reviews claiming norton to be a resource hog...plus norton internet security 2009 is more expensive than the two i have in the thread topic title so i'm thinking about switching brands.

i have also noticed a few threads here on occ praising kaspersky and was about to purchase it when i noticed a 3 star rating on amazon. i then found that trend micro has a four star rating on amazon for their internet security pro 2009 product...which looks really good to me... so i'm hoping some of you could share some experience on the two to help me make a decision as to what to get.

if anybody has any experience with either norton 360 or norton internet security to help either push me away from that direction further or to make me reconsider please share your thoughts...

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Why use either, when there are free products out there that will work just as well/better?

Personally, I'd go with AVG or Avast. Both have free versions if buying a security suite will make you feel better/safer.

Though if you are dead set on going the Norton or K route, I'd go with K over Norton any day.

thanks for the input...

anybody else have any thoughts?

I'm going to have to go with d3bruts1d on this one. I spent a somewhat odd 3 years with Norton and it did well, but I'd say it did 50/50 between performance and giving me a ton of problems. I switched to Kaspersky, and not only does it do a better job scanning, detecting malwares and whatnot, it's always updated to the latest database to make sure your computer is safe from all the new viruses. It does take more memory than Norton, but it was like a breath of fresh air in terms of anti-virus apps.

I will NEVER buy an antivirus as long as there are free versions out for download. AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast, etc... I don't think anybody should pay for antivirus that you can get for free... and besides, antivir was tested against norton and kaspersky and all the others and it came out on top.

paying for anti-virus products is stupid.

If your going to pay for one, then Kaspersky and NOD32 are the best hands down.

I'm going to try Avira now as I have tried AVG and AVAST in the past, I just setup a new Gigabyte and it came w/ Kaspersky 6.0 3 month trial, well it sucks and is buggy so I uninstalled it.

these free programs are tempting enough, but the protection for the free versions seem to be very basic compared to norton internet security or trend micro internet security pro...correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't they really just low level anti virus software's intended to get one to purchase an entire security suite from any of those companies?

viruses are one thing, but i'm also concerned with phishing protection and anti-malware as well...which are major concerns in this day and age.

i'm open to any suggestions as i'm very big on open source and free software...but it has to be good and not just free of charge.

anybody care to elaborate on any of the free versions?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

these free programs are tempting enough, but the protection for the free versions seem to be very basic compared to norton internet security or trend micro internet security pro...correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't they really just low level anti virus software's intended to get one to purchase an entire security suite from any of those companies?

viruses are one thing, but i'm also concerned with phishing protection and anti-malware as well...which are major concerns in this day and age.

i'm open to any suggestions as i'm very big on open source and free software...but it has to be good and not just free of charge.

anybody care to elaborate on any of the free versions?

Back in my PC days I used AVG free for a good 5 years on all of my systems and never had a problem. Phishing and malware can be avoided by simply not being stupid when you surf or download stuff. Additionally, all modern browsers have some built in phishing detection, and Firefox's can be extended even further.

If you are that concerned about it, by all means, purchase something. :)

Im using AVG Free atm, it does it's job fine. (Thats the only reason why I use it)

Trend Micro is nice, used that before.

Kaspersky is the king here, I wouldn't buy it...but it's worth the price.

The only reason I don't use Kaspersky as I hate all programs that display anything while im using my pc, for example, 'You need to scan your pc bla bla bla'....no I don't...I'll do it whenever I like! thankyou mr.spammeplease.

Anyway, it's your choice, and I would advise you to go with Kaspersky as they make top products.

Kaspersky Anti Virus is awesome, best out there... outperforms everything else (even antivir...) , the internet security suite is nice if you have the extra cash, although it takes a bit more time to set up and get acting the way you want.

Free antivirus software isn't updated as often, and generally gets less testing before an update is released... it is free after all, and development of something like that is far from cheap or quick.

If you'd spend $60+ for a CPU hsf/waterblock so you can overclock, you shouldn't have any problem paying for quality AV software...

edit: almost forgot... Norton is the devil... if you've ever installed it, it's time to wipe and start with a fresh windows install... AFTER burning the norton disc to save any more accidents... :thumbs-up:

edit: almost forgot... Norton is the devil... if you've ever installed it, it's time to wipe and start with a fresh windows install... AFTER burning the norton disc to save any more accidents... :thumbs-up:

Yeah, the worst software ever made ? I THINK SO! :P

Edited by g1ng3r

I'm using Kaspersky 2009 Internet Security. It detects many wiruses and responds immediately ;) I, on my behalf, recommend Kaspersky LAB - I've tried Panda, Avast Pro, Norton and NOD. (This is the second time I've bought KAV) ;)

best regards,

wiewior1984