Drr Choice?

Alright well I'm choosing between DRR3 and DRR2 and i'll be running the DRR2 at 1200 and the DRR3 at 1600, it's going to cost me an extra AU$90. But will the performance be that noticable and i'll also be getting WI-FI with the motherboard so better RAM, better motherboard, Wi-Fi and it's AU$90 more, worth it?

i don`t think so.can`t believe that the performance difference between ddr2 1200 and dd3 1600 would worth 90$..ahh..and a wifi...

In my opinion, go for ddr2. Ddr 3 well...maybe for core i7.Let`s just see what the others think about this...

It mostly depends on what motherboard you choose. Gaming boards traditionally prefer DDR2 because of small reads and writes. But with the new i7's the rules seem to have changed. The higher bandwidth really makes a difference. Currently the phenom's and amd series pretty much work better with DDR2. I expect that to change soon with the phenom 2's on the way.

if you wanna save money then I'd get ddr2 because it's so good right now (and very cheap) ddr3 is almost to where it's worth buying (other than owning a core i7 platform, then you have no choice) but any other system will see little benefit from it, except for a ram manufacturer's pockets being filled :D

if you snap in 4 gb of ddr2 1200 it will probably be all you need for a couple years :)

what do you plan to use the system for?

what cpu are you planning to use?

if just for gaming and web browsing, other light use and such...4gb of ddr2 1200 should give phenomenal results, 8gb would be quite an overkill at the moment. but if you plan to run all sorts of stuff at the same time with several monitors, while watching a movie, etc. then you may wanna go with 8gb.

as far as ddr3 goes...if you don't need it, i don't think 400mhz is worth the extra money (the timings are probably looser on the ddr3 too). however if what you're saying is that you can get a better motherboard and ddr3 for that extra money, then maybe it's worth it.

what board are you looking at specifically and how much and what brand ddr3?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer