How Many Network Camera's Can I Run Off A Switch

road-runner

Just wondering how many ip/network cameras I should be able to run off a single gigabit switch and a single cat6 cable coming form the router. I ran a cat6 cable from the gigabit router through the addict at the office, about 90', then put a gigabit switch in the garage. I came out of that gigabit switch and went about 250 feet in a conduit underground and back up in the shop and put a 100mb poe switch, from there a wire to each camera. It seems to be slow with different camera at different times. I even have one camera that locks up out there when trying to change settings like motion detection or when I try to log in from home while it is monitoring/recording at the office and my dads house, I will have to unplug it and plug it back in to even log back into it. I was thinking it is the camera so I brought it home and hooked to my router and it works fine with a short cable. The cameras will allow 10 users at the time. I am not sure what is going on, I used a laptop to check the cables and ran speed test on the internet, around 8000 kbps down and 250 up on a 5mb/512 cable ISP. I am going to get a cable tester tomorrow and check all the cables, or am I overloading it? Here are the cameras I am using...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16881103014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16881103005

http://www.provantage.com/d-link-systems-d...10~7DLN902X.htm

250 feet is a bit long for POE...

It is a regular gigabit switch at 90-100' then a 250' run, then the poe switch with a 50' cable to the poe camera, around 25' to each other camera. I was thinking 50' may have been to far so tried it both ways with poe and plugging the power cord in after switching the cable to a non poe port on the switch and it still acted the same way...

Odd.

My only experience with IP cameras has been over a wireless mesh network that we built for monitoring activity on the roads around my university. We only had 10 going, but we experienced no weird problems with only 10-15 mbps of bandwidth.

Are you running all of them at the same time? Many IP cameras will by default use as much bandwidth as they can...

You may be running into issues on that 250' run. Could you put a repeater in at the halfway mark?

Odd.

My only experience with IP cameras has been over a wireless mesh network that we built for monitoring activity on the roads around my university. We only had 10 going, but we experienced no weird problems with only 10-15 mbps of bandwidth.

Are you running all of them at the same time? Many IP cameras will by default use as much bandwidth as they can...

You may be running into issues on that 250' run. Could you put a repeater in at the halfway mark?

No it is in a conduit under ground, I put a switch before it and after to boost the single.

• 2 weeks later...

My company recently did some survilence system in my town, and this is what I know:

1 camera that has 3,2MPix matrix is able to generate up to 2,4Mbps doing 1frame/sec at full quality.

We've put 4 of those + one that has 5,0Mpix and rarely reach 17Mbit/s :)

Another issue is the PoE. Our appeared quite troublesome. No more than 10meters or there were power outages :( so we abandomed the idea of PoE and got special line for power.

We've used IQEye 703 (or so I was told).

Edited by wiewior1984

There are some IP cameras at a building I use, they're run from a series of switches on infiniband, so I don't know what limitations on cat6/gigabit would be, but surely the camera's spec would state the total throughput?

I've done it with pure streaming data before (SD camera feeds) so each source just sent the video. Can the cameras be set up to do this?

I am not having any issues with the video cutting off, its just some are laggy. I can click to zoom, pan, or tilt and it takes a few seconds before it does anything at my house, however it is pretty quick on the local network. Seems one camera is almost instant movement while the others take a little longer and the more cameras I add the slower they get. I am streaming video over the internet from 4 cameras to 2 different homes, plus at the local location, plus recording 24/7. I have been reading up on them and it seems I may need to cut the FPS down some to help...

You're not going to hurt anything by doing 1 frame every 5 seconds. You could save on bandwidth and space if you opted for software that records only when motion is detected. We have around 400 cameras or so in the corp. that I work in (over coax though) and the few that are on IP are rarely activated. POE is highly dependent on length of run and the quality of the cable used etc. etc. If it was sunk into a conduit in the ground and it was the only line running through said conduit there shouldn't be any reason 'why' it wouldn't want to do that run...