Nickel Plated Or Naked Copper?

OCrookie

so really no significant performance gains or decreases from the plating?

because i know with engine components chrome plating makes things pretty but also causes heat not to dissipate.

so what my biggest concern would be a decrease in the transfer of heat?

90.7(W/m-K) at 300K (~27*c) down to 85(W/m-K) at 350K. Aluminium is 200(W/m-K) at 293K, but as others said, it's negigible in real terms as it's so thin.

Edit: You said copper, sorry :lol: Copper conducts better in theory, but there's a multitude of factors to consider... :P

I answer this from a perspective outside the world of processor cooling. I work in a machine shop so I have hands on experience with plating, however, I don't presume to know exactly how it would affect this specific application only how it affects parts in general. The nickel plating that most plating houses put on is inconsistent at best with thicknesses varying from .0017"-.003" thick (really thin I know). Even though the thickness of the plating seems insignificant it actual plays a bigger role than most would assume.The inconsistencies in it can cause hot spots to occur in parts used for cooling (e.g. a heat sink) and can also cause tolerances on certain parts to fall outside of the acceptable range. That being said it can be seen that nickel plating has its pros, less corrosion & a tougher part, but can lead to an ill fitting and or poor performing part. So if you plan on putting together a kit that has all copper parts a non plated block would be best (because corrosion is not an issue), but if you plan on using some aluminum or brass components then nickel plating becomes necessary for system longevity. I hope that this is all comprehensible and helpful. Good luck! :thumbs-up:

thanks for all the input guys i was just looking at the ek full cover block and wondered if for the price difference the nickel plated blocks would be worth it given that i need three of them the difference is quite a bit of money. but now i see it probably won't be all that benificial for me since everything in my loop is copper wich doesn't really corrode it does oxidize but for that to occur you need air and lots of time.

so no nickel plating i'll just go with naked copper