Buy One Car, Get The Second Car For $1

Queenz

There is a logical explanation for this. American cars are awful.

Flame away, because we all know European/Japanese cars are worth buying over anything the US is producing at the moment :lol:

Now, where is my asbestos suit?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Wacokid: Show me a new Ford which is worth buying. Oh wait, there are none! Everything Ford makes is under-engineered rubbish, made out of the same plastic Mattel uses to make action men.
@Wacokid: Show me a new GM which is worth buying. Oh wait, there are none! Everything GM makes is under-engineered rubbish, made out of the same plastic Mattel uses to make action men.

Cwutididthar?

PS Queenz, why a foreign made car? Why not ANY car that'd work better? Why must it be foreign? I'm doing just fine with my Grand Prix.

There is a logical explanation for this. American cars are awful.

Flame away, because we all know European/Japanese cars are worth buying over anything the US is producing at the moment :lol:

Now, where is my asbestos suit?

With cars that is probably a fairly accurate statement, but not when it comes to trucks. My wife drives an 07 Camry LE and I drive an 04 Silverado LS. Never have a problem with either of them. However before we got the Camry she drove an 03 Cavalier and that thing was a royal POS/PITA. Worst car I have personally driven. lol....On the other side the only foreign manufacture I would trust a truck from is Toyota but still wouldn't be my first choice. Even though I prefer Chevy I will take a Ford or Dodge truck over any foreign brand truck.

With cars that is probably a fairly accurate statement, but not when it comes to trucks. My wife drives an 07 Camry LE and I drive an 04 Silverado LS. Never have a problem with either of them. However before we got the Camry she drove an 03 Cavalier and that thing was a royal POS/PITA. Worst car I have personally driven. lol....On the other side the only foreign manufacture I would trust a truck from is Toyota but still wouldn't be my first choice. Even though I prefer Chevy I will take a Ford or Dodge truck over any foreign brand truck.

You know, I will unfortunately have to agree with you there :lol:

But again, there is a logical reason for this too. We don't drive 'trucks' over here, as the lifestyle and practicality doesn't suit us, thus there is not a lot to compare to. However, I have seen one or two Ford F150 trucks about and the odd Dodge Ram, and they really do look pretty cool. Can't comment on how well they 'work', but never mind - if they look cool, that's enough for me. If I turned up to work in an F150, it would turn more heads than a Ferrari Scuderia easily. Mainly because it would take up 2.5 parking spaces :D.

Here's food for thought. The big American firms are complaining that the American workers are too expensive and that it is practically impossible to make a profit in the American market while cars are built there etc. The American auto worker is about to be made redundant it seems. Yet Japanese firms have been manufacturing in the USA for years (and under a very tight leash), and turning in superb profits.

Of course, everyone knows this already, but I am most surprised that the flaming has not yet kicked off. There is time, I suppose!

You know, I will unfortunately have to agree with you there :lol:

But again, there is a logical reason for this too. We don't drive 'trucks' over here, as the lifestyle and practicality doesn't suit us, thus there is not a lot to compare to. However, I have seen one or two Ford F150 trucks about and the odd Dodge Ram, and they really do look pretty cool. Can't comment on how well they 'work', but never mind - if they look cool, that's enough for me. If I turned up to work in an F150, it would turn more heads than a Ferrari Scuderia easily. Mainly because it would take up 2.5 parking spaces :D.

Here's food for thought. The big American firms are complaining that the American workers are too expensive and that it is practically impossible to make a profit in the American market while cars are built there etc. The American auto worker is about to be made redundant it seems. Yet Japanese firms have been manufacturing in the USA for years (and under a very tight leash), and turning in superb profits.

Of course, everyone knows this already, but I am most surprised that the flaming has not yet kicked off. There is time, I suppose!

IMO it is because the big American firms have become lazy and their manufacturing design is poorly efficient compared to say Toyota or another foreign ran manufacture. It isn't the American workers that are the problem. Like you said foreign firms are manufacturing in the USA using the American work force and turning profits and they generally pay their American workers just as well if not better than the American companies.

In order for a company to turn profits it has to be efficient from the top of the organizational level on down and the American car manufactures are not.

IMO it is because the big American firms have become lazy and their manufacturing design is poorly efficient compared to say Toyota or another foreign ran manufacture. It isn't the American workers that are the problem. Like you said foreign firms are manufacturing in the USA using the American work force and turning profits and they generally pay their American workers just as well if not better than the American companies.

In order for a company to turn profits it has to be efficient from the top of the organizational level on down and the American car manufactures are not.

Exactly. Japanese factories in the US still use the same American workers with the same skills ... so there is no way that Mr Average American is the issue here. It's retarded and greedy strategic managers siphoning all the cash.

I read that Ford and GM in the USA have a very short life expectancy at the moment ... the proverbial s*

I think this is certainly part of it, but I have a feeling another big part of it is that the UAW is just demanding too much money for their workers (both in direct pay and in benefits). I just don't see how companies can be profitable when they're paying a forklift driver $60-80k, for example. I've known too many people to be on "job bank" assignments to not put some blame on the unions as well. (And for those that don't know, "job bank" is a slick way of saying "getting paid full pay to do nothing because we can't find anything for them to do".)

My hope is that they don't bail them out and they're instead forced to rebuild without the unions. They'd never go completely under. You can't remove companies of this size without someone filling that void. The demand is there, someone will meet it. If the big three could come back into the market without the unions holding them down, they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

I agree that unions are a big part of the problem. For example my brother-in-law who is not even 21 years old yet and doesn't even have a HS diploma makes over $50,000/year laying concrete. That is just insane!.....However, don't the foreign companies have to deal with the union BS too?

Considering that the Messiah has claimed that he wants to help out the big three, it sadly seems that we won't be seeing them gone for awhile.

Who?

And last I read, the US government was refusing to bail the motor companies out ...