Custom Memsinks Ftw ^^

ocmooz

Well I wanted some memsinks to put on my GPU so I could get a bit more out of the memory, but I didn't want to pay exorbitant for some crap that would little or nothing. So I decided to design and machine my own. With the help of my Dad and some scrap copper here is what I got. :lol:

post-63946-1225574297_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574286_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574311_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574322_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574337_thumb.jpg

So what do y'all think? They let me get 50Mhz oc so far (850 now) and its steady as a rock. B:) I put them on with Arctic Silver Alumina thermal adhesive, which is not hard at all to work with. I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they say it dries too fast. Just make a very small amount, spread it thin over the mixing surface and make sure you take the time to prep the card first, easy.

Update:Had to back down to 841MHz after getting artifacts 45 mins into scanning with ATItool... bummer. :(

Edited by ocmooz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I wanted some memsinks to put on my GPU so I could get a bit more out of the memory, but I didn't want to pay exorbitant for some crap that would little or nothing. So I decided to design and machine my own. With the help of my Dad and some scrap copper here is what I got. :lol:

post-63946-1225574297_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574286_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574311_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574322_thumb.jpgpost-63946-1225574337_thumb.jpg

So what do y'all think? They let me get 50Mhz oc so far (850 now) and its steady as a rock. B:) I put them on with Arctic Silver Alumina thermal adhesive, which is not hard at all to work with. I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they say it dries too fast. Just make a very small amount, spread it thin over the mixing surface and make sure you take the time to prep the card first, easy.

Update:Had to back down to 841MHz after getting artifacts 45 mins into scanning with ATItool... bummer. :(

Look as good as any Enzotech heatsinks! I bet it was a lot of fun to engineer and mill those.

Nice.

Some custom sinks with 'OCC' machined into them would be good... :rolleyes:

Doh! :facepalm: I knew I was forgetting something. How about some custom Wall papers with OCC logos instead? Oh wait we already got those....

Thanks for all the replies guys I'm glad you like them. Lets see... Update:Stayed stable for one hour of ATI tool at 841MHz now I'm looking into a vmod, because aparently the specs on these chips say 900MHz requires 2.2V and all I got right now is 2.15. <_< I'll keep everyone posted if everyone stays tuned in. :ph34r:

I'd like to add that those sinks look great!

I've been thinking about making some in the shop when i get some free time, i'm a Mechanical Engineering Major, and the shop is free to use.

just need to find some scrap materials. but i really like the ones you've cut, pretty good stuff!

Doh! :facepalm: I knew I was forgetting something. How about some custom Wall papers with OCC logos instead? Oh wait we already got those....

Thanks for all the replies guys I'm glad you like them. Lets see... Update:Stayed stable for one hour of ATI tool at 841MHz now I'm looking into a vmod, because aparently the specs on these chips say 900MHz requires 2.2V and all I got right now is 2.15. <_< I'll keep everyone posted if everyone stays tuned in. :ph34r:

GOOD LUCK DUDE!! Good job on the sinks :thumbs-up:

Hey they are well made! Congratz to you and your dad!

However, I think it would have been simpler to buy a $5 kit like that, and it would maybe have been more performant.

Yeah, but you can't beat making your own?

Cheers

Paul

it looks like you only have about 2 times the surface area of a flat piece of copper, whereas if you milled the channels deeper to leave about as much material at the base as the gap is wide, you'd have more like 4-6 times the surface area

I used the AS Alumina Adhesive on my first set of RAMsinks... it works very well, almost too well because you can't easily remove the RAMsinks... I now prefer AS5 with 4 drops of superglue (cyanoacrylate-based glue) at each corner, then if I need to remove them, it's a lot easier as the superglue is brittle and you can twist the RAMsinks off