Custom Memsinks Ftw ^^

ocmooz

Like I said before it just squeezes the heat out.

Yeah, but then the heat must go somewhere! It's not disappearing! From where the idea of tall fins, because the heat then needs to be dissipated in the air.

And trust me, is your design would have been more performant, engineers at Thermaltake, Zalman, etc. would already have adopted it.

Finally, there is a link in my signature about that. Just read it, you will maybe have a better understanding.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, but then the heat must go somewhere! It's not disappearing! From where the idea of tall fins, because the heat then needs to be dissipated in the air.

And trust me, is your design would have been more performant, engineers at Thermaltake, Zalman, etc. would already have adopted it.

Finally, there is a link in my signature about that. Just read it, you will maybe have a better understanding.

:withstupid:

Bernoulli's principle doesn't work quite that simply when you're supplying radiant energy, also I'm not sure wether it even really applies in this case. You've got to consider that convection cells are small in nature relevant to the supplied energy, so the most efficient method is to construct an interface that balances surface area, internal cell size, external cell size, between fin compression pressure, thermal diffusivity, and many other factors. To put it simply, natural fluid convection in the air is a more important factor to consider than the thermal dissipation and conductance of the material when thinking abot cooling efficency.

A .1 volt vmod via a #2 HB pencil. All I know is one minute its running great the next I'm on my belly under the desk with a multimeter in hand seeing that the BSOD and no POST is because of only .75V ... :closedeyes: Oh well guess I'll whip out the cc and get something good. The card did all right for all I threw at it and for under $50.

As for a WIP post: I apologize, but the idea to share this just struck me yesterday when I got the thermal adhesive in the mail so that kind of killed the whole anticipation build-up deal-io. The material the were made from was just some simple 1" x .187" copper stubs that got trimmed to the right width and slimmed down a bit. Please don't think me selfish, I care not to divulge the dimensions just yet, but there could be some of these for sale if there were enough interest. I'm still thinking about it though :unsure: it wasn't my idea to sell them...[/size]

Understood :).

As for selling them, although you may see some interest, I don't think it'd be financially feasible. Heatsinks sell for relatively cheap and can be sold as such because they're mass produced by machinery. With the amount of time you'd put into making one, I just don't think you'd be able to sell it for what people would be willing to pay.

Nice sinks :D

Next time (or this time?) mill the grooves a bit deeper, as wutisname said, you'll get more surface area.

I'm liking the OCC ramsink idea...Maybe similar to this design, with OCC cut out diagonally by knocking/milling out the little nubs...

Another idea! How about ramsinks with little fans? Or maybe one fan to two sinks? There's gotta be something. Ooooo. The OCC dictionary likes the word "gotta'. Sweet.

*Error wanders off mumbling about dictionary's, online dictionary's, and ramsinks*

~Error

Edited by Error 404

I got my XFX 9800GTX+ last night and it runs sweet! I am so relieved that it worked ok for me because of a few reviews complaining of DOA cards. As for there being anymore of these I'm afraid that this will be the only set ever made and they're gonna have to stay on the card... er um paperweight. As for the copy of FC2 that came with my card I will be putting it on e-bay soon, since the game just doesn't pique my interest.