Ipod Or Zune?

InCrYsIs

That's the classic, I got the touch

I know. I'm emphasizing how much more space you could have gotten for less money. Plus once you toss Rockbox or ipod linux onto it, it's just as feature-rich as the ipod touch if not more so. Sure it doesn't do wifi but who in their right mind would want to browse the internet on that small an awkward of a screen?

Enough thread hijacking from us now, eh.

Edited by iKillSteal

Oh come now Kash, I expected more from you than to jump to conclusions like that.

When I look for an MP3 player I look for two things. Capacity and format compatibility(namely FLAC for digital out to amp to headphones, etc). If I wanted to have motion sensing capabilities, a touch screen and the ability to use the internet on the go, I would go out and get an iphone so I could drop my cellphone and have all that rolled into one. The iPod does what it does and it does it damn well. It plays music(no self-respecting person would watch a video on it :lol:). I don't want all the gimmicks(although I suppose some would call them features) the ipod touch has at the expense of storage capacity. Rockbox and iPod linux, for me, give me all the features I needed. FLAC support, games(doom anyone? :lol:), various tweaking options to alter the performance(battery life, etc) of my iPod and it's that streamlined efficiency that appeals to me more than anything the ipod touch has.

So no, I'm not deluded nor do I think that Rockboxing an iPod makes it the equivalent of an iPod touch. I'm well aware of the pro's and con's of each setup. I'm simply stating my preference so there's no reason to jump at my throat like that, good sir. I would certainly appreciate you not doing that again. loki8.gif

Edit: Also, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Not following? Look under our avatars, you copycat. :P

Edited by iKillSteal

Oh come now Kash, I expected more from you than to jump to conclusions like that.

When I look for an MP3 player I look for two things. Capacity and format compatibility(namely FLAC for digital out to amp to headphones, etc). If I wanted to have motion sensing capabilities, a touch screen and the ability to use the internet on the go, I would go out and get an iphone so I could drop my cellphone and have all that rolled into one. The iPod does what it does and it does it damn well. It plays music(no self-respecting person would watch a video on it :lol:). I don't want all the gimmicks(although I suppose some would call them features) the ipod touch has at the expense of storage capacity. Rockbox and iPod linux, for me, give me all the features I needed. FLAC support, games(doom anyone? :lol:), various tweaking options to alter the performance(battery life, etc) of my iPod and it's that streamlined efficiency that appeals to me more than anything the ipod touch has.

So no, I'm not deluded nor do I think that Rockboxing an iPod makes it the equivalent of an iPod touch. I'm well aware of the pro's and con's of each setup. I'm simply stating my preference so there's no reason to jump at my throat like that, good sir. I would certainly appreciate you not doing that again. loki8.gif

Edit: Also, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Not following? Look under our avatars, you copycat. :P

Having all those things for you is fine, but you can't honestly expect anyone to believe the third-party firmware for the iPod is anywhere close to the feature set and interface of the iPod touch/iPhone. Sure, having it simple is great (I personally own several iPods and love their simplicity), but some people aren't interested in a massive capacity, especially not when you can get the features of the iPod touch. Plus, I'm guessing you haven't really used the touch or the iPhone extensively if you think browsing the Internet is burdensome. It's actually quite intuitive and the size of the screen isn't a hindrance at all, especially not with the way Apple designed Safari to work on the iPhone/iPod touch.

As for the user title, I've had mine since the moment I was allowed to have one oh so many years ago, so who's really the copycat? :P

Having all those things for you is fine, but you can't honestly expect anyone to believe the third-party firmware for the iPod is anywhere close to the feature set and interface of the iPod touch/iPhone. Sure, having it simple is great (I personally own several iPods and love their simplicity), but some people aren't interested in a massive capacity, especially not when you can get the features of the iPod touch. Plus, I'm guessing you haven't really used the touch or the iPhone extensively if you think browsing the Internet is burdensome. It's actually quite intuitive and the size of the screen isn't a hindrance at all, especially not with the way Apple designed Safari to work on the iPhone/iPod touch.

As for the user title, I've had mine since the moment I was allowed to have one oh so many years ago, so who's really the copycat? :P

<Designated navigator for road trips who commandeers the iphone for GPS and mobile browsing of internet content not suitable for minors at speeds most states define as falling under reckless endangerment. My friends and I travel a lot. I know my way around an iphone and I definitely don't like the internet browsing on it. Of course that's a personal preference. Not saying it isn't well designed or anything, it's just that it does not at all click with me. Goatse for zoom? I will have to pass, good sir. :lol: I can't exactly put my finger on it but it just doesn't feel right.

The line in bold I disagree with. You're given so much more control over your hardware running Rockbox(not so much ipod linux but it is what it is) compared to the iPod touch and iPhone. Although moot for the latter two, Rockbox gives you HD spin-up and spin-down control among other things. Tons of apps for it(although that stands true for both devices) and customization options for things like themes and whatnot. Plus the audio format compatibility list is constantly expanding with Rockbox(though I won't deny that the iPod Touch and iPhone are progressing in this area as well).

Once you get past the glaringly obvious things(touch screen, wifi, OS on it, etc) and all all the apps for each(some useful for both and others not) what does the iPod touch have that the regular iPod can't have on top of larger storage capacity?

Also, the reference to killing threads has been in my member title for quite a stretch longer than yours. Unless I'm going absolutely crazy and you have had that exact same one for longer than, as I recall, 4 months or so. So :P @ you.

But we're going way, way, way off topic now. The original thread was about getting a 30GB Zune. So instead of arguing about Apple's portable media playing devices(which all fit their little niches), lets argue about the Zune AKA the little engine that couldn't. :lol:

I think I was going more for the usability aspect of the iPod touch than for the feature set (we both know Apple doesn't allow for much user control of its hardware, so that's a rather useless point to debate). However, those "glaringly obvious" things are what sets the two apart.

I've been a member here since late 2004, you've been a member since late 2006. OCC gives us access to the user title within a few weeks of becoming a member, and since I haven't changed my user title since I first put it there, I'd have to say I've had mine for at least two years longer than you have ;)

I've been a member here since late 2004, you've been a member since late 2006. OCC gives us access to the user title within a few weeks of becoming a member, and since I haven't changed my user title since I first put it there, I'd have to say I've had mine for at least two years longer than you have ;)

:unsure:

You serious? I remember you having one that was way different, and longer, than that... Well, looks like I'm going crazy. I'll be back in a bit. Gotta go change my major to Art History.

:lol::(

Edit: Member title fixed to something more appropriate.

Edited by iKillSteal

As far as the glaring obvious and unnecassary features go... I mean so I don't have wifi or fancy touch screens that seems to be geared towards apples usual zealots. I have 8gigis and a phone for 1/3 of a cost of a 8gig iPhone... so I'm happy with that. Though like I said I can't wait for the Fuse and like someone else mentioned I'm a bit peeved at the headset problems with the BJ but I think BJII actually has a working adapter for such unlike the BJ but that's do able for me. To be honest I've tried and iPhone and what it lacks is a keyboard, decent touch screen controls, and most of all the ability to multitask... all of which are features that any windows mobile PDA phone has had for years before its existence. If MS feels pressured to improve Windows Mobile its not in anyway due to the iPhone but due to google android.