Is Far Cry 2 A Good Game?

ir_cow

Far Cry 2  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is Far Cry 2 a good good?

• No, it's just GTA in the Jungle done poorly
    • No, its nothing like GTA but still sucks
    • Yes, This games amazing and im glad i wasted..err happly spent $ on this
    • I don't care beacuse either i haven't played it or want to.
    • I think you're .... HBC for making this poll!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see there being much to do once missions are done with. Im not too far into the game at all, but will there be anything to do other than drive around and shoot people? Another gripe, driving isnt really that convincing. I dont know how to explain it but its like the cars dont have "weight" it feels like Im sliding across the ground. Going from place to place would be much more fun if it felt like you were bombing around the forest running over militia with a big clunk. I think car travel would be improved if it wasnt so jerky when I was driving.

Im still liking the game, dont get me wrong. If I want to log into a game and screw around I can play warhammer. Question, can I destroy small buildings like in Crysis?

Edited by SMeeD

Another gripe, driving isnt really that convincing. I dont know how to explain it but its like the cars dont have "weight" it feels like Im sliding across the ground. Going from place to place would be much more fun if it felt like you were bombing around the forest running over militia with a big clunk. I think car travel would be improved if it wasnt so jerky when I was driving.

Agreed 100%. That's the one thing that *really* bothers me about the game. Forza 2 has spoiled me, sure, but can't we get halfway realistic driving in non-driving games? The cars/trucks/jeeps/buggys just feel entirely disconnected with the road.

You know what though? It doesn't bother me because the game is so goddamn beautiful and open. If only it didn't crash. :lol:

I'd be playing it right now if it didn't crash every 40 minutes. <_<

Terrible luck on your part...crashless here. Not bragging, just saying. I feel for you not being able to enjoy the game. I had the same problems with Crysis back in the day.

Im still liking the game, dont get me wrong. If I want to log into a game and screw around I can play warhammer. Question, can I destroy small buildings like in Crysis?

I've shot a crap-shack hut with an RPG to clear out some enemies a couple of times. Some boards and stuff were destroyed but no, fully destructible buildings are a no-go. It could be that I simply wasn't using enough firepower to destroy a a tool shed made out of plywood and aluminum sheets...

Edit: @ Car problem

I can't say I have the same problem with cars "sliding". At least for me, cars have unbelievably unrealistic handling. They turn on a dime, accelerate up to 70(miles or kilometers, I don't even care)/pH in a matter of seconds but have the durability of a sheet of moist toilet paper.

Edited by iKillSteal

Terrible luck on your part...crashless here. Not bragging, just saying. I feel for you not being able to enjoy the game. I had the same problems with Crysis back in the day.

It seems like a memory leak since it's so consistent. ATI cards in general seem to have this problem, the 4870X2 more than most.

It's a pity, since I can run 12x CFAA with transparency antialiasing on at 60 FPS with everything maxed. :(

Memory leak? Not system but video mem? That's a new one for me but I trust your diagnosis.

It really sucks that the game crashes for you since you can run it completely cranked. I gave 4xAA a shot earlier and I had to bump everything in advanced down from ultra to very high(barring of course the two options that max out at high) in order to get an acceptable framerate(27+ outdoors with tons of action, 43+ indoors). I can't imagine how amazing it must be with 12xCFAA at all max settings which makes your crashing issue all the more painful. :(

Memory leak?

I think so. Right before it crashes I notice texture and vertex corruption (it's my cue to quicksave). :lol:

Whether it's the game or the driver remains to be seen but both the stock 8.9 and 8.10 hotfix do it. :unsure:

I do think this is the first game I've played where DX10 mode runs far smoother than DX9 as well.

My guess would be a driver problem since I haven't experienced any similar issues nor any of my friends all of which, except for one with a 4870, own nvidia cards and have been rocking this game as long as I have. Even the one with the 4870 isn't reporting any outstanding issues. I'm not too familiar with the finer workings of the 4870x2 but isn't it possible to disable one GPU on it? Might be worth giving a spin to further diagnose the issue(potential ATI mutli-gpu incompatibility, etc).

I'm not too familiar with the finer workings of the 4870x2 but isn't it possible to disable one GPU on it?
It is, but I'm not willing to do that to play one game. Doing so removes CFAA and playing WoW on a 42" screen is painful without it.

I'll wait for a driver update/patch.

Oh I wasn't suggesting you permanently axe it, just for a couple of test runs is all. I wouldn't give up that kind of performance, either. :lol:

Last I checked the driver flips out if you disable one without restarting. I don't restart my computer unless I have a security update. :lol:

I really like the game.. I just think they rushed the release without doing enough testing etc. The game seems to run great on very high on my setup but for some reason i get these hangups (stutters) but im not sure if thats the game or the video card. could not having enough juice goin to 9800gtx+ cause stutters and hangups? I do notice it in WoW occasionally too.