3DMark Competition

The Smith

What you need to do:

1. Run 3DMark on your computer, at default settings.

Wouldn't this violate rule #1 of this thread?

No it wouldn't. "Default settings" refer to the screen resolution used for the runs, not the order of the runs.

The rules here are the same as used for any Hwbot submission.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK what order should the tests be run for maximum scores? I have another 5870 that should arrive tomorrow and I'd like to make this the best and last run I make for a while. I'll still be using Vista 64 bit.

There are some things that peeps are never likely to tell anyone on a forum, and the order of running 01 falls firmly into that catagory :D

I think the fact that you have been given a pointer to the running order and LOD is enough.

The rest is up to you to work on and find out for yourself.

I'm not being mean or secretive here, but these things take hours and hours of work. No one in thier right mind is going to just "give" that to anyone that in fact competeing against them.

Wouldn't want you to give up State Secrets :D I understand the hesitation giving up what you've worked to learn I suppose.

I may work on this at some point and time but 2001SE just isn't a priority for me. 06 and Vantage are what I'm mainly interested in. I'll likely have a better score in them all tomorrow as the 2nd 5870 has shipped from the egg and will arrive tomorrow. I'll let some nice fresh cool air in from outside tomorrow night and crank up the CPU speed to 4.63Ghz and the GPUs to 900/1300 to get my best 3DMark runs possible.

I'll give you another couple of pointers as well as XP.

1: The order that you run the tests in 01 ;)

2: LOD and the level of LOD that you run for each individual test ;)

I've never understood how to change the order of the tests. Mind you, I don't have the Pro version of '01 (just '03,'05,'06 & Vantage :thumbs-up:LOL ).

No it wouldn't. "Default settings" refer to the screen resolution used for the runs, not the order of the runs.

i thought changing the LOD was pretty much cheating.

IMO once you start doing stuff like that your scores become pretty worthless, but i suppose you guys using these "secret tricks" are just interested in a big number regardless of how you got it.

i thought changing the LOD was pretty much cheating.

IMO once you start doing stuff like that your scores become pretty worthless, but i suppose you guys using these "secret tricks" are just interested in a big number regardless of how you got it.

Personally I don't have a dog in this fight but I have no idea how to change the LOD and won't invest the effort to try. It's a competition but there are no prizes to be won or lost so it doesn't bother me in the least. I also wouldn't want to put the burden on The Smith to police all of the scores. The whole PhysX enabled/disabled thing was a hard enough task I'm sure. It's a friendly competition, nothing more. If anyone puts up better scores than me(and many have) then it's an incentive to try to overclock things a little more. As a benchmark implies it's to see where you can go with your hardware and see where simiar hardware scores are at to compare.

I ran 3DMark Vantage today several times. As I said I don't know how to change the test order, I just click on the program and run it. I tried overclocking my i7 920 to 4.5Ghz but that forces me to run my RAM at about DDR3 1292. Clocking my CPU down to 4.2Ghz let's me run my RAM at DDR3 1600. Scored about 100 points more. Could be a statistical anomaly but it did score higher. I'm sure there are lots of other tweaks and different things you can do as well-like run XP for 2001SE.